The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Bass Player

Rate this topic

Best Bass Player  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 6/19/2016 at 5:25 PM, RWMc1 said:

Aston "Family Man" Barrett on bass.

Dude, I feel ya. In reggae, bass takes the lead, bass lines drive the bus to babylon so to speak.

But from a technical standpoint, I have to disagree. Reggae bassists aren't given the opportunity to "shred" like a lot of the players already mentioned in this thread. Maybe they could, who's to say, but they didn't blow peoples minds with finger speed, technique or creativity.

My first bass teacher played for a local reggae band "the cultivators", he was a far better bassist than their music would have you believe. He was a firm believer in the "kiss rule" and imparted some wisdom to me decades ago about a bassists role in reggae -

"The band is like the body, drums are the heart and bass is the blood..." the rest explains itself

16 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Dude, I feel ya. In reggae, bass takes the lead, bass lines drive the bus to babylon so to speak.

But from a technical standpoint, I have to disagree. Reggae bassists aren't given the opportunity to "shred" like a lot of the players already mentioned in this thread. Maybe they could, who's to say, but they didn't blow peoples minds with finger speed, technique or creativity.

My first bass teacher played for a local reggae band "the cultivators", he was a far better bassist than their music would have you believe. He was a firm believer in the "kiss rule" and imparted some wisdom to me decades ago about a bassists role in reggae -

"The band is like the body, drums are the heart and bass is the blood..." the rest explains itself

Sorry, these are bass players I like and not ones I consider the "best".

Why do I keep checking back to this thread?   

Maybe the musician in me wants to see something actually worthy of the title 'best bass player'.  

Instead, I get another of Cabinessence garbage threads that gets kept alive by people posting videos of old crap.  

I like classic rock as much as the next guy, but freaking for really guys?  

The Who?!?   Give me a flipping break!  

This isn't the 'which classic rock song do you enjoy?'.

it is the 'BEST bass player' thread. 

We should change this garbage list for the poll by doing some actual research, using others opinions, etc....   

Geddy is prob the only one on that list that deserves to be there.  

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Maybe the musician in me wants to see something actually worthy of the title 'best bass player'.  

Instead, I get another of Cabinessence garbage threads that gets kept alive by people posting videos of old crap.  

We should change this garbage list for the poll by doing some actual research, using others opinions, etc....   

Couldn't agree more.

39 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

it is the 'BEST bass player' thread

That's the problem though. Who someone considers "best" is a subjective. There are bass players from all over the world in many different genres. The only ones people consider seem to be restricted to certain genres.

I even stated in an earlier post that I don't consider the players I posted to be the "best".  I was showing top players from different styles who were not on the list. 

And as usual, there are many threads in CDC so stopping to complain is counter-productive but commonplace.

Edited by RWMc1
4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

What's become of this thread has become nothing short of bizarre and thrilling. The list is what it is. It's the best of the best. The people spoke and we agreed on a top 10. If you have someone else, well maybe the people didn't just didn't make the cut. 

Another weird thing is that this is a 5 star thread, but it seems some people (likely from bands lacking representation of their respective bassists) have tweeked the ratings to have it appear as a 2 star thread. No worry, we all know it's still 5 stars.

"Instead, I get another of Cabinessence garbage threads that gets kept alive by people posting videos of old crap."

Hey, it's 2016 and we're in the midst of Trudeaumania. Do you really need to hate? 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Problem is...is that most peoples idea of a good bass player is not really a bass player at all...Theres a lot of glorified guitar playing with 4 strings.......you would be surprised how many guys who shine on bass solos,are in fact..crappy bass players.

Honky you are a great poster! But that is why we need the all agreed Top 20 definitive list, can't argue with poplar opinion.