The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

old frank

smithers joe

23 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

My dad and I are both terrible at expressing ourselves but someday I plan on telling him just how much his hard work and sacrifice meant to me and how much I look up to him. He's a hell of a man.

12 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

W#SM..dont wait to long on that..take it from me..good story about dedication..

Lost my pops years ago, sounds like your pops, hard worker, dedicated father but not so good with emotions. 

Listen to Shaky, best to say it now it would be easier to live life knowing you had said what you feel rather than it being too late. Regret and guilt are things you never want to live with my friend.  

18 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Lost my pops years ago, sounds like your pops, hard worker, dedicated father but not so good with emotions. 

Listen to Shaky, best to say it now it would be easier to live life knowing you had said what you feel rather than it being too late. Regret and guilt are things you never want to live with my friend.  

Very true, having experienced it with other things. I'm sorry to hear about your father. He must've been pretty young huh? I say this cause I've seen you in the post your face thread and you're pretty young yourself. 

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Very true, having experienced it with other things. I'm sorry to hear about your father. He must've been pretty young huh? I say this cause I've seen you in the post your face thread and you're pretty young yourself. 

I have not posted my pic in the face thread lol.... but yea he was gone at 59. I am old now, lessons learned, life lived. The title of father entails many things, hard to see when everything is good. Much easier to state your appreciation now, trust me both of you will be better off! 

7 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I have not posted my pic in the face thread lol.... but yea he was gone at 59. I am old now, lessons learned, life lived. The title of father entails many things, hard to see when everything is good. Much easier to state your appreciation now, trust me both of you will be better off! 

Dammit, had you confused with somebody else I guess. 

I appreciate your advice though. Couldn't be better timing with Father's Day around the corner. 

59 is quite young still. My old man's 54 in a couple weeks...still plenty of life left if all goes as expected but you never know I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I appreciate your advice though. Couldn't be better timing with Father's Day around the corner. 

59 is quite young still. My old man's 54 in a couple weeks...still plenty of life left if all goes as expected but you never know I guess. 

Indeed so , I think the general theme of this thread is to Pay it Forward..... Best wishes to you and your Father on Fathers day!

13 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

You guys are scaring me. I'm 55.:lol:

However, my father celebrated his 93rd birthday a month ago and is still going strong. I'm counting on that being a hereditary trait.^_^

On June 17, 2016 at 2:53 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

One of my earliest hockey memories was of a road trip to Smithers. (I grew up in PG) I walk into the arena and the first thing I see are two massive pictures of Jim and Joe up on the wall at the end of the rink...

we have a second arena now...i don't know if those portraits are still up there or not...rarely go in there anymore...they have upgraded the old arena too..that is where the steelheads play...

i don't know if i told you that i met my father when i was sixteen for 15 minutes...the only time i saw him...apparently he died a homeless man on the streets of los angeles in 1961 as a john doe...he was 72 years old ...it wasn't till many years later when they started using dna, that they identified him...to this day i have picked out one homeless man and help as much as i can...i do this in my dad's memory...years ago, i wrote a letter to my dad, telling him that when i met him at 16, i wanted to hug him but that he gave no indication that he wanted to...i told him, i prayed that if he had known me longer that he would have hugged me and told me he loved me...i couldn't send it to the father, i never had..maybe we'll meet again some day..i hope so....

when you don't have your father, you don't get him back..

Happy (early) Father's Day, Joe.  That story went straight to my heart...how tough for a young boy to not have a father figure.  My son turned to my Dad as his mentor when my ex flaked out...but it was still always sad to me that he didn't have that connection with his Dad.  It's so important.  They've started building some bridges together but nothing can get back the time that is lost.  I treasure every second with my kids and can't imagine anything else.  It was rough when their Dad disconnected from them.

I befriended a homeless man (Tony) for a time who used to blog though a fellow he met who was telling his story for him (Philip).  He seemed like such a kind, sensitive soul...homeless people get a bad rap.  This was his blog, it's an interesting read that offers some perspective.

https://homelessmanspeaks.com/ 

Thank you for sharing.  Truly tugs at the heart and really helps us to know you a little better.  Your Dad missed out on a great opportunity but I'm sure glad we're having the pleasure of spending time with you.

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You guys are scaring me. I'm 55.:lol:

However, my father celebrated his 93rd birthday a month ago and is still going strong. I'm counting on that being a hereditary trait.^_^

Age is just a number Rupe! 55 is the new 35 from what I hear anyway

thanks deb, i enjoyed the story on tony....i can't imagine what they go through in a day...herb told me, he was a survivor...living in the bush, pan handling for food and drink...the weather in smithers can get quite harsh at times...dan hamhuis one time went into their camp and gave them blankets and heavier clothing...a group of teenagers went in there when they were gone and urinated all over their blankets...when someone finds them a place to stay, they ruin it by getting drunk and ruining the place..

It's awful how punks and thugs target homeless people.  If they have to feel validated in this world by hurting others ... especially the weak and vulnerable, then it speaks volumes of how low they really are.  Empty shells.

Especially those who laugh like boneheads as they're committing senseless acts.  The lowest of the low.

Nice to hear about Dan.  He seems like a guy who would do something like that...sincere and kind.

• 8 months later...

in the late seventies, i adapted the story, the good, the bad and the ugly, into a radio play. i talked about 20 smitherites to act the parts. after a lot of rehersals, we felt ready to tape it. this radio station guy who produced it, said we had to leave a minute between each scene for commercials. we did get a sponsor, but this guy forgot to close up the scenes. what disappointment to us all, when after each scene, was a minute of dead air. that turned out to be bad and ugly.

a few years later, while working with young offenders, i adapted the story, the odd couple into a radio play. 6 boys, were interested in trying their luck with it. i took them to my house. my wife supplied some goodies, and we had pop there. it was a funny play and the boys howled at the dialogue. i would tape their progress. finally we taped the finished product. i didn't put it on the radio but we did have all the staff and other boys listen one night. oh how proud they were as everyone laughed and praised their efforts.

that turned out to be very good and somewhere in life, i know, 6 boys who will forever hold that experience as being a special time in their lives.

• 5 months later...
On 6/9/2016 at 9:14 PM, smithers joe said:

in the late forties, we were still playing sandlot baseball. there were enough boys in our neighborhood to always field two teams in what ever sport we were playing....

our summers were always the same, except for this one year...for baseball that summer, we had a spectator. frank would bring his chair and watch us play.

when we made good plays, old frank would clap his hands and his smile was from ear to ear...if we made poor plays, he would shake his head and go tch, tch, tch.

one day we were arguing over a rule, so we asked the old man...he said your both wrong, in fact you not playing the game right in several ways...

to make the story shorter, he agreed to coach us.

the old man taught us a lot...how to use our cut off men, backing each other up; how to hit behind the runners, how to hit to all fields and what team work really meant....

when summer was over, we asked old frank, if he would coach us again next year?..he told us, that at his age, he couldn't make any promises. 

frank must of known something we didn't, because he died that winter.

at our age, we didn't understand the finality of death. we just knew that there was a hole in our lives that summer...

when we made good plays, we automatically looked over to see if frank was grinning....when i made a poor play, i could swear i heard his tch, tch, tch.

i've always been thankful for what the old man taught me. not only in my baseball playing and coaching, but in my life as well. how to thank him?

several years ago, when i was remembering those days, i realized, that we paid old frank...we made his last summer on earth, a happy one.

old frank one more time.

Archived