The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mikhail Sergachev: The best D in the 2016 draft

20 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Yes I watched the Islanders dynasty win 4 cups. I was in Pacific Coliseum in 1982 watching games 3 and 4 of the final between the Canucks and Islanders. That whole team was great. Bossy was one of my favourite players. 

Potvin was one of the best defenceman in the NHL when he was in his prime in the 70's. Him and Larry Robinson.  Coffey and Bourque took over in the 80's.

I'm not sure you can compare Sergachev to Potvin. Potvin got 123 points his draft year in junior and was selected 1st overall. He's a hall of famer and got over 100 points as a defencemen one year. 

Don't care what Bob Mac says. Potvin is a legend. Sergachev has a high ceiling. He could be a number one defenceman.  But like Potvin?  No way. 

Denny P was like a Bourque/Coffey hybrid, regularly dealin' out Ballard-hipchecks for a side-hobby.

12 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then again, Jared Cowan was 6'5 216 and went 9th overall...

True, but Cowen's draft year stats had him with 21 points in 48 games, with 7 goals. Sergachev finished the season with 57 points in 67 games with 17 goals.

Serg is a really exciting prospect. could be a really big boom or a decent nhler.  It's just would look bad if we took him at 5 and he didnt develop into an elite d man.  think hes going to be very good though.

Big mobile D with hands that can rush the puck, run a PP by distribution or bombing a clapper, play physical, defend...  Something this organization needs....  and far more than top line wingers.  

Wingers can be had via trade and UFA.  All around mobile offnesive D with size can not.

This is the kid that Id be OK with trading down for.

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

Big mobile D with hands that can rush the puck, run a PP by distribution or bombing a clapper, play physical, defend...  Something this organization needs....  and far more than top line wingers.  

Wingers can be had via trade and UFA.  All around mobile offnesive D with size can not.

This is the kid that Id be OK with trading down for.

Let Arizona or Montreal make us a great offer to move up otherwise keep the pick.

I would be fine with trading down and taking Sergachev if it meant a team offering us one of their top prospects and a pick.

Not saying I agree with this but...

Where could Sergachev go? I’m going with two choices – Edmonton and Vancouver. The Oilers have the offence up front – Hall, Draisaitl, Eberle, McDavid, etc. – they’re stacked. Defensively, they can’t find the net. Andrej Sekera was their only blue-liner to have more than 13 points. Yes, Klefbom only played in 30 games to get his 12 points, but there are no guarantees he would have been as offensively productive as Sekera in a full season.

Sergachev would be a perfect fit for the Oilers. He brings them much-needed offence from the blue-line, a nice edge defensively, and gives them a cornerstone defenceman to work with, alongside the rugged Darnell Nurse, who played for Sault Ste Marie in the OHL.

Vancouver has a definite need for an offensive defenceman, as their point leader from line was Ben Hutton with 25 points. While their farm system has offensive talents, they’re still in the junior ranks, and Sergachev could certainly by-pass them over the next couple of seasons. A future power-play duo of Sergachev and Jordan Subban has to be awfully enticing.

While Sergachev is not ready for the NHL just yet, he will be in short order. It wouldn’t be a shock to see him get big minutes for Windsor during their upcoming Memorial Cup-hosting season, and then make the NHL for the 2017-18 season. He has all the tools needed to be a big-game performer. Don’t be surprised if Sergachev’s name is called very early at the draft, maybe even as the first defenceman.

http://thehockeywriters.com/draft-preview-windsor-spitfires-mikhail-sergachev-soars/

Those are rave scouting reports there OP.  They compare pretty favourably to Juolevi, whom the pundits call very good at everything without reaching for these kind of superlatives.  Of course some scouts are going to understate and others overstate but I'd be interested to know what (if any) arguments they make for why Juolevi might be better than Sergachev, since this does seem to be the majority opinion.  I get that Juolevi is a very smart player, but so is Sergachev and his physical tools seem so much better. 

On 6/21/2016 at 1:07 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Those are rave scouting reports there OP.  They compare pretty favourably to Juolevi, whom the pundits call very good at everything without reaching for these kind of superlatives.  Of course some scouts are going to understate and others overstate but I'd be interested to know what (if any) arguments they make for why Juolevi might be better than Sergachev, since this does seem to be the majority opinion.  I get that Juolevi is a very smart player, but so is Sergachev and his physical tools seem so much better. 

Brains vs brawn.

Don't get me wrong neither is terribly a slouch in either department but Serg has more physical tools, Juolevi seems more cerebral.

19 hours ago, J.R. said:

Brains vs brawn.

Don't get me wrong neither is terribly a slouch in either department but Serg has more physical tools, Juolevi seems more cerebral.

Yes, this is probably how Benning's assessment went and I don't disagree.  What we absolutely need is a PMD/PPQB type, and Juolevi is the safest bet there.  With Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa and Pedan in the mix, the physicality can come from whichever he's partnered with and the need for a one-size-fits-all true #1 diminishes.  But Sergachev looks more likely to become that kind of D.  It's going to be interesting to follow their respective careers.  Our D corps sure has turned around in the last few months:  Tryamkin, Stecher, Gudbranson and now Juolevi.  Barring a trade of Sbisa or Edler, I'd say we're pretty much set for the next little while. 

Sergachev looks like a PK Subban type of guy to me. There are a lot of people who say he is boom/bust, very raw but has all the tools to be a star. I don't think that is necessarily the case. Like PK, I think he has all the tools but he enjoys being the star too much. Neither of them are the most reliable but they both love to carry the puck and they both love to make plays. I don't see him as a boom/bust. I think he could be a star in the NHL but I don't think he will ever have the reliability as Juolevi/ Chychrun, much like how coaches can't depend on Subban like they can depend on a Keith or Vlasic.  

5 hours ago, asian player said:

Sergachev looks like a PK Subban type of guy to me. There are a lot of people who say he is boom/bust, very raw but has all the tools to be a star. I don't think that is necessarily the case. Like PK, I think he has all the tools but he enjoys being the star too much. Neither of them are the most reliable but they both love to carry the puck and they both love to make plays. I don't see him as a boom/bust. I think he could be a star in the NHL but I don't think he will ever have the reliability as Juolevi/ Chychrun, much like how coaches can't depend on Subban like they can depend on a Keith or Vlasic.  

Agreed. Primary goal is to defend in that position. Offence is a bonus. Subban for example can electrify you with his offence one shift and cough up the puck next for an opposing scoring chance.  Depends how you like to gamble ! Juloevi is smart first, flash second

54 minutes ago, sexpanther said:

Agreed. Primary goal is to defend in that position. Offence is a bonus. Subban for example can electrify you with his offence one shift and cough up the puck next for an opposing scoring chance.  Depends how you like to gamble ! Juloevi is smart first, flash second

Subban gets paid $9 million and can't even make Team Canada. That tells you all you need to know. Hockey IQ over raw talent every time.  And when you have high hockey IQ mixed with great skating and good two way abilities you have a player who could win a Norris trophy one day. 

58 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Subban gets paid $9 million and can't even make Team Canada.

I mean, the main challenge for him to make the Canadian team is the overwhelming depth on the RH side.

If you were to select purely based on skill and not positional needs, Subban would make it 10/10 times... but there is obviously the need to have LH defenceman on the team.

6 hours ago, HawksFan94 said:

I mean, the main challenge for him to make the Canadian team is the overwhelming depth on the RH side.

If you were to select purely based on skill and not positional needs, Subban would make it 10/10 times... but there is obviously the need to have LH defenceman on the team.

In a tournament like the Olympics/World Cup where there's plenty of talent on the team (especially on Canada :towel:) to compensate for lesser-skilled defencemen, as well as more skilled players on other teams to capitalize on mistakes, I'll take a guy like Vlasic, Muzzin, Hamonic, Seabrook, etc over Subban any day. You cough up the puck (like Subes is prone to do) or miss coverages against the Russians and it can be in the back of your net in a hurry.

On 6/26/2016 at 6:47 PM, asian player said:

I don't think sergachev is much of a Subban type, sure the offence is there but he's quite strong in all ends of the ice.  Subban also has a completely different character where he thinks he's a superstar and can do everything on his own.  Sergachev is a much more humble player that thinks credits others for his game. If anything I see him more of a young Elder or even a young Doughty.  A big minute munching D that plays in all game situations.  Doughty early on in his NHL career would constantly jump up in the play but quickly realized that if he was going to play 25+ minutes a night he would need to really pick his spots.  Sergachev was in his first year of NA hockey which he admitted was a lot more structured.  A few more years of development and we will likely see a huge upside in his shutdown capabilities. He will never have the IQ of a Juolevi, but he's not a completely one dimensional player.  

Archived