The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) 2 Birds, 1 Stone

Ladies, gents, trolls....

Howdy.

Long time reader, first time poster.

(Pls don't crucify me!)

I've been thinking about Alex Burrows lately. Unless we absolutely need the cap space to sign a star player that we're for sure capable of obtaining, we should hold onto him until the deadline. I'm sure we can get SOMETHING for him then, non?

he could most certainly help out a team making a push as a contract yr rental

( AV/NYR, I'm looking in yo d'rection!)

STL?  Nashville? 

Anywho, the other " bird" in this equation is  our old friend Christian Ehrhoff, who is a UFA. If we can grab him for cheap, why not? Play him on the 3Rd and let him QB our power play? I mean... Only if he's cheap...I'll bet he'd jump at the chance to resurrect his career by reuniting w the twins.

Oh...ok....3 birds, 1 thread....How about Manny M as an assistant to replace Gulutzan? ( if he's down wid it, of course)

Cheers canuckleheads, lemme know :-P 

Burr is a fourth line player on our team, one that in all likelyhood will finish in the bottom 10 again next year. On a contender he wouldn't be in the lineup, unless they wan't a designated PK man. 

If he isn't bought out, I think he plays about 30 games for us this year and then just retires at the end of the season. 

Benning will try to trade Burrows, and if he does, there won't be much of a return. Probably a mid-late pick. There really isn't room on the Canucks for him, unless they make room.

UFA (Eriksson?)

Hansen

Dorsett

Burrows

Virtanen (Utica?)

Rodin (Utica?)

Etem (could play LW?)

Vey (it sounds like we could lose Vey as well, it was mentioned he would benefit playing in Europe for a while)

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Benning will try to trade Burrows, and if he does, there won't be much of a return. Probably a mid-late pick. There really isn't room on the Canucks for him, unless they make room.

UFA (Eriksson?)

Hansen

Dorsett

Burrows

Virtanen (Utica?)

Rodin (Utica?)

Etem (could play LW?)

Vey (it sounds like we could lose Vey as well, it was mentioned he would benefit playing in Europe for a while)

why do people think it would be good for Virtanens development to be sent down to the AHL? especially after the way he ended the season. way more beneficial for him to be with the big club. maybe if he had spent last year with utica and wasn't ready but he's showed progress at the NHL let him stay. 

41 minutes ago, 10TRAVIS NUCK10 said:

why do people think it would be good for Virtanens development to be sent down to the AHL? especially after the way he ended the season. way more beneficial for him to be with the big club. maybe if he had spent last year with utica and wasn't ready but he's showed progress at the NHL let him stay. 

because he is immature and needs to learn how to be professional. Second, he makes big hits at dumb times(doesn't know when to use his energy) Third, he lacks freaking hockey iq and has poor passing, 4th he refuses to be a powerforward  and actaully use his release.

He has lots to learn, so AHL will help him out big time no need to rush him.

Just now, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

because he is immature and needs to learn how to be professional. Second, he makes big hits at dumb times(doesn't know when to use his energy) Third, he lacks freaking hockey iq and has poor passing, 4th he refuses to be a powerforward  and actaully use his release.

Utica won't be winning anything this year unless Benning stocks up. The best place for him to learn to be a professional is to surround him with them. Again he just finished his first year in the NHL as a 19 year old. If anything starting him in Utica is a step backwards. It has nothing to do with rushing him, thats already been done. He has spent loads of time in the community this summer showing he's on the right path to becoming a pro. Ya i just don't see it, he'll come out and compete for a spot on the team for sure.

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

He's a bit overly cocky, so riding busses and living the AHL life would help him realize his blessings, and maybe work harder off the ice to always be at his best.

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's a bit overly cocky, so riding busses and living the AHL life would help him realize his blessings, and maybe work harder off the ice to always be at his best.

Yeah, Virtanen's young and could benefit a lot by developing in Utica. Give him top line minutes there, make him hungry to make the big club. He played with the Canucks last year because of the injuries. He could always be a 1st or 2nd call up.

But I only mentioned Virtanen in Utica, as a way the Canucks could possibly fit in Burr, if that's what they'll try to do. I really like Burr for what he's done with the Canucks over the years, but I don't really want him on the team lol 

5 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Yet he made the team and wasn't sent back to Jr. last year. If he's strong in camp again, why the hell would he get sent down?

Difference this year is he can be sent to Utica if he starts slumping, which I agree, might do him some good, but he earned his spot out of camp.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't get the "overly cocky", Alf. He's spending time at community events and at the gym so far this summer. Let's give the kid a "pro summer" before accusing him of being a slacker because he likes hot dogs.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, Virtanen's young and could benefit a lot by developing in Utica. Give him top line minutes there, make him hungry to make the big club. He played with the Canucks last year because of the injuries. He could always be a 1st or 2nd call up.

But I only mentioned Virtanen in Utica, as a way the Canucks could possibly fit in Burr, if that's what they'll try to do. I really like Burr for what he's done with the Canucks over the years, but I don't really want him on the team lol 

If he makes the team out of camp, he still has to keep his spot. It kind of seems to me like you three believe he should be sent there for his development, when in reality, the only reason he should get sent there is if he's outplayed at camp, or starts mailing it in during the season.

I hope he has a killer camp and comes out flying next season. Hope he starts using that shot of his more too, kids got a release but was always too concerned with where WD wanted the puck dumped in, to actually use it.

Archived