The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Youngstars 2016?

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

No kidding. The draw in Penticton isn't just the SOEC and its great arena, but also Penticton in the fall can be quite nice. Plenty to see around the area that time of year and the weather is great, plus wine country. Red Deer, well... not so much.

Red Deer would be great if it were only Calgary & Edmonton in the tourney.  Penticton is a bit far from Edmonchuck.  But largely central to these three teams.  Fans from Winnipeg are only too happy to get out and go wherever.

Red Deer is just close enough that Brian can change his depends. Without having to sit in them for an extra 4 & 1/2 hours...

The Vancouver Canucks announced today that the City of Penticton will host the 2016 Young Stars Classic for the sixth year at the South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton, BC, from Friday, September 16th to Monday, September 19th. The four-team, round-robin tournament will feature prospects from the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Winnipeg Jets, and Vancouver Canucks. The four participating teams also hold four of the top six selections at the 2016 NHL Entry Draft: Winnipeg – second overall, Edmonton - fourth overall, Vancouver - fifth overall, and Calgary - sixth overall. Tournament tickets and VIP packages will go on sale on Friday, July 8th at 10:00 AM.

“We are very excited to once again hold the Young Stars Classic in beautiful Penticton, BC,” said Trevor Linden, Canucks President of Hockey Operations. “The Young Stars Classic launches a new season and offers a great opportunity to watch NHL prospects develop in competitive games. We’re grateful to our gracious hosts, The South Okanagan Events Centre and the city of Penticton for always making this a first class experience.”

Six Canucks prospects that participated in the Young Stars Classic in September 2015 played in at least one NHL regular season game in 2015-16 including current roster players Ben Hutton and Jake Virtanen.

Tournament ticket packages include all six games for $60. VIP and Premium VIP ticket packages are also available for $90 and $275 respectively. For information and details on what VIP packages include please visit canucks.com/youngstars and SOEC.ca. Tickets are available online at ValleyFirstTix.com, by phone at 1-877-763-2849, in person at the South Okanagan Events Centre Valley First Box Office.

“The hockey is astonishingly fast and intense. You get to witness players get their start and see firsthand hockey heroes of the past who are now part of the management or coaching. It truly is a must attend event for all hockey fans,” said Event Chair and City of Penticton Mayor Andrew Jakubeit. “Now celebrating six years in Penticton, we welcome and appreciate the significant economic impact and exposure that having this NHL-caliber hockey brings to our community and region.”

Once against this year the festivities will include a Canucks Town Hall Breakfast as well as Minor Hockey Day, which will include a Party on the Plaza event with games, food, music and entertainment as well as skills and development camps for BC minor hockey players.

Young Stars Classic Schedule*

Penticton, BC – September 16-19, 2016

GAME             TEAMS                                     DATE             TIME

Game 1      Calgary vs. Winnipeg                  Sept. 16         4:00pm
Game 2      Vancouver vs. Edmonton            Sept. 16         7:30pm
Game 3      Calgary vs. Edmonton                Sept. 17         7:30pm
Game 4      Vancouver vs. Winnipeg             Sept. 18         2:00pm
Game 5      Edmonton vs. Winnipeg             Sept. 19         11:30am
Game 6      Vancouver vs. Calgary               Sept. 19         3:30pm

*Game dates, times and opponents subject to change.

I would really like to find people to go with this year.. I don't really have a lot of hockey liking friends and so no one who would want to spend the money to go. I live in Kelowna.. so if anyone from Kelowna wants to go. I could pitch in for gas and what not.. if anyone is interested, let me know :) 

On 6/19/2016 at 9:44 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Demko yes, though Virtanen made the big club, so I don't think he would. Last year, after Horvat made the big club he wasn't required to go either. 

What is interesting is they seem to allow 2nd year pros to play. This would mean Cassels/Subban/Sautner would be eligible, but we wouldn't have much support on the forward front. It's tricky making the lineup as it requires players under 2 years pro, no one college eligible, and no one who has made the big club. What I have as a roster at this point:

Zhukenov- Cassels - LaPlante

Stewart - LaBate - Jasek?

Sautner - Subban

Brisebois - Stecher

Olson - Neill

Demko

Gartieg

Much of the roster will be dependent upon 2016 draftees. It seems from the pipeline we could use a few more forwards. 

Edit: Added Goalies

And plugging in 2016 picks:

Abols - Cassels - LaPlante

Stukel - Zhukenov - Labate

Stewart - McKenzie - Jasek

Juolevi - Stecher

Sautner - Subban

Brisebois - Neill

Olson, Candella

Demko

Gartieg

Lockwood is off to Michigan, so he's not an option. 

Just bought my 6 game package, $60 a seat row 10 center ice, such a crazy deal.  Online only pre sale went live today at 10 am so might be some still.  I got an email saying use code Canucks16.  Actual sale is Friday 10 am...

7 hours ago, jobird said:

Just bought my 6 game package, $60 a seat row 10 center ice, such a crazy deal.  Online only pre sale went live today at 10 am so might be some still.  I got an email saying use code Canucks16.  Actual sale is Friday 10 am...

Yikes! Thx for the heads-up and code. I didn't realize there was an online pre-sale, but after I saw your post I went on the site ( about 5 pm your time) and there was no centre ice seats available at the $60 price level. Took a set of 4 in sec 117. They're going fast this year!

Was there a pre-sale last year? I didn't buy my tickets then, until the official sale date and got better seats. And that was the McJesus tourney.

14 hours ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

Yikes! Thx for the heads-up and code. I didn't realize there was an online pre-sale, but after I saw your post I went on the site ( about 5 pm your time) and there was no centre ice seats available at the $60 price level. Took a set of 4 in sec 117. They're going fast this year!

Was there a pre-sale last year? I didn't buy my tickets then, until the official sale date and got better seats. And that was the McJesus tourney.

I managed to get on right away past few years and this was the first year I got an email talking about pre sale online only.  Maybe i'm signed up with promotions with SOEC or something...Looking forward to seeing Juolevi/Demko/Laine/Thachuck/Poolparty.

16 hours ago, Justdean10 said:

Just got my tickets, seem to be going pretty quick.. Had checked a bit earlier and seats were selling in the 3rd row by the time I bought them, it was the 9th row.. but whatever, still pretty good. 

9th row is great, not obstructed by the glass or anything.  How many years has this been going?  It seems like since the draft has gained momentum with the high profile players going to Canadian teams and stuff these tourneys are super popular.  

On 7/9/2016 at 9:35 AM, jobird said:

9th row is great, not obstructed by the glass or anything.  How many years has this been going?  It seems like since the draft has gained momentum with the high profile players going to Canadian teams and stuff these tourneys are super popular.  

I prefer the lower seats, I'm kind of short and I always get tall people sitting in front of me lol I believe this is the 6th year. I think this will be my fourth year in a row going. It's nice seeing our players play before they go off to the big league. 

Archived