The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Youngstars 2016?

On 20/06/2016 at 1:44 AM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Demko yes, though Virtanen made the big club, so I don't think he would. Last year, after Horvat made the big club he wasn't required to go either. 

What is interesting is they seem to allow 2nd year pros to play. This would mean Cassels/Subban/Sautner would be eligible, but we wouldn't have much support on the forward front. It's tricky making the lineup as it requires players under 2 years pro, no one college eligible, and no one who has made the big club. What I have as a roster at this point:

Zhukenov- Cassels - LaPlante

Stewart - LaBate - Jasek?

Sautner - Subban

Brisebois - Stecher

Olson - Neill

Demko

Gartieg

Much of the roster will be dependent upon 2016 draftees. It seems from the pipeline we could use a few more forwards. 

Edit: Added Goalies

Where is Juolevi?

6 hours ago, jobird said:

Did they all sell out?  I'm always shocked if they have tickets left over.  I hope they don't let Burke try to move it back and forth to Calgary etc....

I was thinking they wouldn't sell out as fast this year, as quick as they did last year.. because of everyone wanting to see "McDavid" but then I remembered that all the teams going all had at least a top 6 pick.. so that is a lot of talent to see. 

Just now, Justdean10 said:

I was thinking they wouldn't sell out as fast this year, as quick as they did last year.. because of everyone wanting to see "McDavid" but then I remembered that all the teams going all had at least a top 6 pick.. so that is a lot of talent to see. 

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  All the Canadian teams being $&!#e brings out the top talent.  Any notable omissions?  Might be early to know for sure who's going anyway....

• 5 weeks later...

It's a good event. My advice is to try and get a good meal before and only snack a bit at the games. It's a different experience sitting through two games in a row, not only for one day but for 3-4. That arena food wears on you.

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎11 at 11:26 AM, elvis15 said:

It's a good event. My advice is to try and get a good meal before and only snack a bit at the games. It's a different experience sitting through two games in a row, not only for one day but for 3-4. That arena food wears on you.

For some reason the Saturday and the Sunday only have one game each day. The Friday and Monday have 2 each. Absolutely no idea why, but it was the same last year.

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

Seeing Nucks vs Jets and vs Oilers. Beyond psyched to see all the Fins from the world Jrs. Laine is going to be so much fun to see. He is in another class over the rest of these guys.

I'm just wondering if Puljujarvi is going to be there at all. Didn't he have knee surgery right after the U18's?

5 hours ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

I'm just wondering if Puljujarvi is going to be there at all. Didn't he have knee surgery right after the U18's?

I am sure he did, but that is also a long time ago now. He will have had 12 weeks of healing time or so between then and the tourney. My bets are he'said there and I hope so!

2 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

I am sure he did, but that is also a long time ago now. He will have had 12 weeks of healing time or so between then and the tourney. My bets are he'said there and I hope so!

I hope so, too. But never underestimate the paranoia of Chiarelli. He pulled McDavid out of last years tourney because Jake hit him.

On 15/08/2016 at 4:49 PM, X-PatLostInEdm said:

For some reason the Saturday and the Sunday only have one game each day. The Friday and Monday have 2 each. Absolutely no idea why, but it was the same last year.

For the first few years (when San Jose was also coming) they had 2 games each on Fri-Sun (one of which was an alumni game or something similar on the Saturday night) and then a single game on the Monday. But even with the reduced format, it's a lot of arena food or even eating out if you walk to the Denny's or Triple O's.

8 hours ago, elvis15 said:

For the first few years (when San Jose was also coming) they had 2 games each on Fri-Sun (one of which was an alumni game or something similar on the Saturday night) and then a single game on the Monday. But even with the reduced format, it's a lot of arena food or even eating out if you walk to the Denny's or Triple O's.

No argument here. I just thought it was odd that 2/3 of the tournament is played on workdays and only 1/3 is played on the weekend days. Seems backwards to me.

Fair enough. Don't know the game times, but even if the Friday starts at 4pm it's a scramble for people to get there from work. I think the Monday game has been midday, so you'd have to take a day off/half day for that for sure.

Speaking of game times, here they are...

Young Stars Classic Schedule*

GAME                    TEAMS                                                  DATE                      TIME    

Game 1                 Calgary vs. Winnipeg                       Sept. 16               4:00pm

Game 2                 Vancouver vs. Edmonton              Sept. 16               7:30pm

Game 3                 Calgary vs. Edmonton                    Sept. 17               7:30pm

Game 4                 Vancouver vs. Winnipeg                                Sept. 18               2:00pm

Game 5                 Edmonton vs. Winnipeg                                Sept. 19               11:00am

Game 6                 Vancouver vs. Calgary                    Sept. 19               3:00pm

Archived