The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Youngstars 2016?

9 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Benning knows he has 2-3 years before the Sedins retire. All we really need is a young number 1C and we are golden. Hard to come by I know, but we have most of the other pieces. Horvat,Juolevi, Demko, Boeser, Virtanen, Hutton, Tryumkin. All look like present or future core pieces eventually. 

I wouldn't say 'all'. But a LW should be a manageable find over the next ~4 years (either via draft or UFA, trade etc) and until then, Eriksson can fill in there. One of the many reasons he was signed IMO.

Post-Sedin (still 2+ years, drafts and Jul 1 away folks):

Baer, 1C, Boeser

LW, Horvat, Virtanen

With Eriksson able to fill in in the mid term.

And who knows, maybe a Zhukenov, Stukel, Lockwood, Jasek etc surprises in the next few years to steal one of those spots? Or heck, maybe Etem takes a next step and develops in to a solid 2LW? Maybe Rodin works out? Or maybe we do indeed trade some of our new found D depth for a Landeskog type in the next year or two?

Going back to the bike metaphor... Those spare wheels are still getting tubes mounted and inflated but it's not like there's nothing there and we still have time to obtain more parts and find the bike pump. Far too early for all the panic button pushing that goes on around here.

Even better, in ~2 years we could very well have an EXTREMELY deep team briefly before the twins retire if we can indeed find a solid C prospect ~this year.

Eriksson, 1C, Boeser

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baer, Horvat, Virtanen

Gaunce, Granlund, Etem

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Edler, Stetcher

Pedan, Brisebois

Juolevi as call up...

Markstrom, backup and Demko as call up...

That's a pretty good looking group IMO. Hardly the:frantic: people seem to think. 

I'm very optimistic about our team's future in goal with the hard-nose way Markstrom, Demko and Garteig have been playing.  Our D is also looking really deep with an excellent pipeline taking form.  It's at forward that things look a little dodgy, not so much depth-wise but from a quality perspective.  But let's not forget, that's after trading away Shinkaruk and McCaan in the last half year.  We still can expect improvement from Baertchi, Horvat and Virtanen, with Etem and Rodin as longer shots to contribute.  That's not so bad.  A 1C prospect would certainly be nice.  JB clearly knows that and will address it through the draft or in a trade.  At least we're building up the depth at the back end to move a significant piece and get a significant return.  Hopefully it happens sooner than later for the sake of the Sedins, but as of this year, we're at least on the up-swing again.

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'm very optimistic about our team's future in goal with the hard-nose way Markstrom, Demko and Garteig have been playing.  Our D is also looking really deep with an excellent pipeline taking form.  It's at forward that things look a little dodgy, not so much depth-wise but from a quality perspective.  But let's not forget, that's after trading away Shinkaruk and McCaan in the last half year.  We still can expect improvement from Baertchi, Horvat and Virtanen, with Etem and Rodin as longer shots to contribute.  That's not so bad.  A 1C prospect would certainly be nice.  JB clearly knows that and will address it through the draft or in a trade.  At least we're building up the depth at the back end to move a significant piece and get a significant return.  Hopefully it happens sooner than later for the sake of the Sedins, but as of this year, we're at least on the up-swing again.

Agreed. 

Of all the positions, JB is focused on the ones that are hardest to aquire first. Credit MG for having a brass set to trade Schnieder for Horvat essentially. That got things started. Center and left wing top talent are our biggest needs. Left wing can be found thru FA or trades, center is harder to fill. 

Still we do have depth at center, but really need that 1C prospect. Maybe Bo takes that step?  Either way we do have Hank for a few more years. Hopefully it will happen. 

There's a good CBA related article on Canucks Army regarding the contract eligibilty (ie: can they be signed) of our eight invitees: http://canucksarmy.com/2016/9/21/fun-with-the-cba-the-signing-eligibility-of-canucks-invitees

Long story short, all eight are eligible for contracts, but the signing window for the two 2017 draft eligibles ends when their CHL seasons opens (OHL today, QMJHL tomorrow) but would be extended to the opening of the NHL season if they signed a tryout with Vancouver.

I had posted this information before but then revised my post to say that Galipeau wasn't eligible for a contract (based on another clause). Looks like I was wrong (in my revision) and my original assumption was indeed correct.

I blame reading the CBA off my phone and the difficulty of keeping several clauses straight at the same time.

CBA clause 8.9.b.ii seems to be the overriding document here and it creates an offseason signing window for draft eligibles like Galipeau and Maksimovich.

And the other six invitees (Coulter, D'Aoust, Moynihan, Roy, Valk, and Parenteau) have all moved past their draft eligible years and are signable as UFAs.

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

I wouldn't say 'all'. But a LW should be a manageable find over the next ~4 years (either via draft or UFA, trade etc) and until then, Eriksson can fill in there. One of the many reasons he was signed IMO.

Baer, 1C, Boeser

LW, Horvat, Virtanen

And who knows, maybe a Zhukenov, Stukel, Lockwood, Jasek etc surprises in the next few years to steal one of those spots? Or heck, maybe Etem takes a next step and develops in to a solid 2LW? Maybe Rodin works out? Or maybe we do indeed trade some of our new found D depth for a Landeskog type in the next year or two?

Going back to the bike metaphor... Those spare wheels are still getting tubes mounted and inflated but it's not like there's nothing there and we still have time to obtain more parts and find the bike pump. Far too early for all the panic button pushing that goes on around here.

Even better, in ~2 years we could very well have an EXTREMELY deep team briefly before the twins retire if we can indeed find a solid C prospect ~this year.

Eriksson, 1C, Boeser

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baer, Horvat, Virtanen

Gaunce, Granlund, Etem

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Edler, Stetcher

Pedan, Brisebois

Juolevi as call up...

That's a pretty good looking group IMO. Hardly the:frantic: people seem to think. 

^^^^

JR,

Great post.  I especially like the point about potentially having a a deep team before the Twins retire. 

That would be the dream scenario, and would require JB to pull some draft day magic.  

This team has vastly improved depth at almost any position with some monster players that can open up space for the smaller skilled guys.  A potent combo.  

EW

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Baer, 1C, Boeser

LW, Horvat, Virtanen

Eriksson, 1C, Boeser

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baer, Horvat, Virtanen

Gaunce, Granlund, Etem

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Edler, Stetcher

Pedan, Brisebois

Juolevi as call up...

Don't forget Juolevi?

On 9/20/2016 at 5:20 PM, DeNiro said:

The Dallas Stars are one of the top teams in the league and they drafted two of their stars in the 5th round (Benn, Klingberg). The rest of their team was essentially built through trades.

Contrary to popular belief there is more than one way to build a team. Sometimes all it takes is a couple home runs in the draft and a few good trades to build the core of a team.

Benning will address more first line talent in the next couple of years. There's always teams that undervalue young players, and if the timing is right they can be acquired for cheap.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

He's not. Juolevi isn't on loan from Finland so he falls under the regular CHL/NHL agreement.

And Jasek is being held against his will in the Czech league. The good thing about OJ4 in London is they play the most structured game in the CHL under Hunter. It might be the reason that his game is as advanced as it is already.

So apparently D'Aoust and Moynihan are the only undrafted unsigned invitees carrying on to main camp. The rest have been returned to their teams. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanbiech/status/778983571121844225

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanucksNow/status/778983283199647744

EDIT: not sure if that includes Marco Roy but I think at the very least he showed enough that he should get an invite to the Comets camp

EDIT2: looks like Roy's sticking around on a PTO according to the transfers sites

EDIT: and Valk and Parenteau are also moving on the main camp

2 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

Glad Moynihan's getting a look. I liked what he showed. Would have liked to see him and Mackenzie on a line with Cassels instead of D'Aoust in that 3rd game, though D'Aoust didn't look bad.

Yeah, Moynihan looked good in the games and projects very well statistically. Would have liked to have seen Maksimovich signed to a tryout and extended for a longer look. He's probably worth around a 2nd or 3rd round pick (based on stats projections) and could have been a good value signing for the prospect pool.

As far as D'Aoust goes, I think he might show a little better in the next phase. Not that he was bad during the YS tourney. Just a guy who might look better with higher quality linemates and more systems/structure. He wasn't flashy but he made some pretty good offensive plays in thise tournament games that his linemates weren't able to capitalize on. Definitely worth keeping around for a longer trial.

• 9 months later...

Archived