The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

What a morning to sleep in! I’ve missed so much hockey!

Juolevi has a goal.

Palmu has 2 goals.

Pettersson 1G 2A.

Why didn’t one of you guys send me a wake up call? I’m just having my coffee and I’ve already missed most of the games!

that is how I felt lol. just rolled out of bed too.  

• Upvote 1

Actually really liked his game today. Had a couple turnovers that I wish he played better and there are still some concerns about his one on one defending for me.

But for the most part, made crisp outlet passes to his forwards and was great on the powerplay. Good shot for his goal. Was mostly calm and cool and didn't handle the puck like a grenade like I've seen in the past.

Only played 17 minutes but that's probably the level he's at right now.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Actually really liked his game today. Had a couple turnovers that I wish he played better and there are still some concerns about his one on one defending for me.

But for the most part, made crisp outlet passes to his forwards and was great on the powerplay. Good shot for his goal. Was mostly calm and cool and didn't handle the puck like a grenade like I've seen in the past.

Only played 17 minutes but that's probably the level he's at right now.

He looked really fast today but, agreed, not as strong defensively but he sure looked dangerous offensively.    He snuck down a number of time - cannot remember a Canuck defender with that much push to their game.   Even his goal is scored from where someone like Boeser usually sets up shop.    

His passing was really crisp today.   Tallinder struggled with that for some reason.   I liked OJ's physicality today too.    Strong game.    Was part of the pairing D line with Tallinder once again.    His zone escapes were insane - nice every time.   

• Cheers 1

Listened to Dave Tomlinson this afternoon talking about Ollie and he mentioned that he was asking those in the know within the hockey community about Olli and the message that he kept hearing about Olli was 1) Slow feet and 2) Attitude. The consensus by these people is that Olli will likely need to spend another two years in the AHL before he gets to the NHL.

Take it for what it's worth and I hope it's not the case, but the kid has been benched for stretches this season so maybe where there's smoke, there's fire.

This pick hurts our rebuild already given the other players  we could have picked. Taking another two years to get here could be a real set-back and extend the rebuild a few more years.  

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I absolutely expect OJ to start the year in Utica. I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. A D-man turning 20, regardless of draft position, would be in tough to make their NHL team. The twitter/salary cap generation might not know this, but it wouldn't be unexpected or disappointing.

More ppl need to understand this

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Listened to Dave Tomlinson this afternoon talking about Ollie and he mentioned that he was asking those in the know within the hockey community about Olli and the message that he kept hearing about Olli was 1) Slow feet and 2) Attitude. The consensus by these people is that Olli will likely need to spend another two years in the AHL before he gets to the NHL.

Take it for what it's worth and I hope it's not the case, but the kid has been benched for stretches this season so maybe where there's smoke, there's fire.

This pick hurts our rebuild already given the other players  we could have picked. Taking another two years to get here could be a real set-back and extend the rebuild a few more years.  

If we get Dahlin, Juolevi could be used as part of a trade. Maybe for a right dman or for an impact LW. 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

He was benched once after the WJCs because he was tired.  I'm not sure what the attitude problems are about but his benching this year wasn't an attitude thing

• Upvote 2

Like I said his skating has regressed. He gets walked regularly and beat wide. Definitely, agree with the slow feet part. The attitude part I could believe as well with all the rumours around him.

If he needs 2 more years trade him before his value drops even more like the NYI did with Griffen Reinhart.

Overall just a disappointing draft choice with future stars like Tkachuk, Keller, and Sergachev going immediately after.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Sometimes I don’t know if we are all watching the same player. I thought he played very well at the world juniors and defensively was much more calm and smarter with the puck than hieskenen and company.. he wasn’t in an offensive role but he still put up decent numbers. He was more physical and skating better than a year ago For sure. I still think he’s going to be very good top 4 dman like edler. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Do you watch the games?!   You have said this a few times.   I have seen him live twice this year and watch pretty much every game and these phantom plays you see don't happen.   He was Finland's best (and fastest) player at WJC.   He has been elevated to first pairing D and is up with the rush on more plays than not and he gets back - in one of the fastest leagues in the world.

Sheesh.

Of course he doesn't. Anyone who says to give up on a player like Juolevi because he needs to develop is nothing more than a pathetic impatient loser.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Do you watch the games?!   You have said this a few times.   I have seen him live twice this year and watch pretty much every game and these phantom plays you see don't happen.   He was Finland's best (and fastest) player at WJC.   He has been elevated to first pairing D and is up with the rush on more plays than not and he gets back - in one of the fastest leagues in the world.

Sheesh.

no need to ask. He doesn't watch the games.  Juolevi is no slower then someone like Tanev.

10 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I absolutely expect OJ to start the year in Utica. I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. A D-man turning 20, regardless of draft position, would be in tough to make their NHL team. The twitter/salary cap generation might not know this, but it wouldn't be unexpected or disappointing.

I am all for Olli in Utica.  He can earn call-ups and give Utica a boost.  But if we do that we need another d man added.  This d core isn't quite right.

Interesting how we play well vs Chicago, Dallas, and Anahiem when Gudbranson and Tanev are mostly out. Tanev was in Chicago game before injury I think? I can't remember.

If moving guddy or Tanev fixes things I am all in.  Ideally getting a 20'ish top d prospect and a first would be ideal.  His injuries are starting to mount up this season.  A knee sprain to end it is probably them just giving him a sympathy shutdown lol.  You have suffered enough dear tanman.

But touching back on the last few games. Alex Edler eats up 30 minutes last night... Stecher I heard is around 27. Wow lol. That isn't sustainable but kudos to them.

8 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Like I said his skating has regressed. He gets walked regularly and beat wide. Definitely, agree with the slow feet part. The attitude part I could believe as well with all the rumours around him.

If he needs 2 more years trade him before his value drops even more like the NYI did with Griffen Reinhart.

Overall just a disappointing draft choice with future stars like Tkachuk, Keller, and Sergachev going immediately after.

Your out to lunch.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Sometimes I don’t know if we are all watching the same player. I thought he played very well at the world juniors and defensively was much more calm and smarter with the puck than hieskenen and company.. he wasn’t in an offensive role but he still put up decent numbers. He was more physical and skating better than a year ago For sure. I still think he’s going to be very good top 4 dman like edler. 

Because many people on this board only look at the stats, have never player hockey at a high level, and expect OJ to be tearing up every level he plays at at a Bobby Orr rate, and if he isnt, then they criticise him and claim he’s a bust. Is this the first time youve heard that Vancouver is the fish bowl?

• Upvote 1

One interesting thing about watching Juolevi next year will be competition.  As a LHD on this team we are fairly stacked with ok pros on that side.  Edler Hutton MDZ and sometimes Pouliot.  At the next level Sautner looks like he needs more opportunity. Then at the next level Brisebois has been developing well on the first pair in Utica.  Where ever Juolevi plays next year he will be competing for his spot.  

• Upvote 1