The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

One interesting thing about watching Juolevi next year will be competition.  As a LHD on this team we are fairly stacked with ok pros on that side.  Edler Hutton MDZ and sometimes Pouliot.  At the next level Sautner looks like he needs more opportunity. Then at the next level Brisebois has been developing well on the first pair in Utica.  Where ever Juolevi plays next year he will be competing for his spot.  

I like your pointing out the Canucks again have depth on D.  It’s a good thing there will be competition.  These players have been competing all their lives.  Let the cream rise to the top.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

One interesting thing about watching Juolevi next year will be competition.  As a LHD on this team we are fairly stacked with ok pros on that side.  Edler Hutton MDZ and sometimes Pouliot.  At the next level Sautner looks like he needs more opportunity. Then at the next level Brisebois has been developing well on the first pair in Utica.  Where ever Juolevi plays next year he will be competing for his spot.  

I'm not sure why people are so down on Pouliot.......he makes young guy mistakes, but if he learns from them, he has the potential to be an impact player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure why people are so down on Pouliot.......he makes young guy mistakes, but if he learns from them, he has the potential to be an impact player.

I think it has to do with green’s comments about Pouliot’s lack of commitment to fitness and off ice professionalism.  Kind of the same as Hutton.  Mistakes go up when tired.  

I think guys who are not fit can become a lot better if they get fit.  It’s a good thing, maybe?

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it has to do with green’s comments about Pouliot’s lack of commitment to fitness and off ice professionalism.  Kind of the same as Hutton.  Mistakes go up when tired.  

I think guys who are not fit can become a lot better if they get fit.  It’s a good thing, maybe?

Both Pouliot and Hutton look like they need to take their conditioning to the next level. Management and coaching need to sit down with them at year end and set them straight. If they want to continue on in this league they need to commit 100 percent. They have the skills. 

Sorry, what defines an ‘OK pro’ in your view?

Hutton is a wreck this year and last year.  He needs a change of scenery IMO or he will end up as a career minor leaguer at this point. 

Edler and MDZ are decent journeymen guys that can have their games raised by their partners. 

Pouliot has shown some inconsistency but there is some promise in him. Added to that MDZ and Pouliot can play either side. 

OJ as of now is likely our second best LHD in terms of skill and smarts. Next camp should be interesting but I could see our defence ending up looking like this. 

Edler/Dahlin (please) FA signing or Tanev, if not traded. 

OJ/Guddy. OJ is our smartest d man outside of Tanev, Guddy can watch his back and thrive with a smart partner.

Pouliot/MDZ third pairing for most of the year reunited for another go. 

McEnemy/Stecher

Sautner/Brisbois 

Hutton is redundant and should be moved IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sorry, what defines an ‘OK pro’ in your view?

Hutton is a wreck this year and last year.  He needs a change of scenery IMO or he will end up as a career minor leaguer at this point. 

Edler and MDZ are decent journeymen guys that can have their games raised by their partners. 

Pouliot has shown some inconsistency but there is some promise in him. Added to that MDZ and Pouliot can play either side. 

OJ as of now is likely our second best LHD in terms of skill and smarts. Next camp should be interesting but I could see our defence ending up looking like this. 

Edler/Dahlin (please) FA signing or Tanev, if not traded. 

OJ/Guddy. OJ is our smartest d man outside of Tanev, Guddy can watch his back and thrive with a smart partner.

Pouliot/MDZ third pairing for most of the year reunited for another go. 

McEnemy/Stecher

Sautner/Brisbois 

Hutton is redundant and should be moved IMO. 

Agreed. Hutton has played his way out in my opinion. If he doesn't get moved in the off season he better come to camp in better shape and ready to battle for his spot. We don't miss him as it stands now . 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

See how he does over summer. Hopefully Green has been getting through to him and we'll see them show up in camp really motivated and ready to go!

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Seems like most people feel this way.

I’m not gonna to sit here and argue that Hutton has actually played really well. He’s had some struggles. But he’s hardly unique in that area.

And I can’t help but notice that whenever I dig into his stats, I find he’s usually in the top third of our D regulars in nearly every category. Whether shot shares, scoring chances, goals for/against, zone exits, or whatever stat you like, there’s always around 5 of our top-8 regulars on D who are producing worse results for this team than Hutton.

Apparently he’s had off ice issues and questionable fitness/commitment, and I support Green in giving Hutton some tough love and challenging him to become a better pro.

But as far as the actual team results with/without Hutton in the lineup, nearly every measure I look at says this team is better off when Hutton plays.

In fact, if we were to move a couple veteran Ds out, a player like Ben Hutton would be exactly the kind of value acquisition I’d be looking to bring in.

Trading him away, especially at this point in time, when his value has been tanked by scratches/deployment, seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Unless he’s just never going to get back into the good graces of the staff. In that case, you move him and salvage what you can from as assets perspective.

But for me, it really looks like one of the easiest moves we could make to improve the overall performance of this team would be to just play Hutton (and not play some of the guys who’ve been objectively worse by a host of statistical measures). 

Hopefully he gets the chance.

Good on you for digging into the stats as I am strictly going off the eye test. I agree it may be to early to give up on him. It will be a big training camp for him. He could find himself on waivers of he doesn't improve. He isn't on a cheap contract so he has a good chance of clearing. 

14 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Like I said his skating has regressed. He gets walked regularly and beat wide. Definitely, agree with the slow feet part. The attitude part I could believe as well with all the rumours around him.

If he needs 2 more years trade him before his value drops even more like the NYI did with Griffen Reinhart.

Overall just a disappointing draft choice with future stars like Tkachuk, Keller, and Sergachev going immediately after.

Well isnt that just part of him gaining more weight? Give him a little longer geez lol you act like 1 20 year old Dman is going to change us from a bottom 5 team to a top 10. Simmer down

52 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

When is Oli next game?

Just finished playing (TPS lost 2-0).

Olli played 21:58 today. 4 shot attempts and 1 on goal. Finished -1.

Looks like Tallinder got injured at some point, so Juolevi stepped up an took over some of his minutes. Picked up the minus on a late goal (I think it was EN in the final minutes).

I didn’t see the game so just going off the stats.

EDIT: looks like next game is tomorrow (29th) and TPS still leads the series 3-2

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just finished playing (TPS lost 2-0).

Olli played 21:58 today. 4 shot attempts and 1 on goal. Finished -1.

Looks like Tallinder got injured at some point, so Juolevi stepped up an took over some of his minutes. Picked up the minus on a late goal (I think it was EN in the final minutes).

I didn’t see the game so just going off the stats.

Cue the "he's a bust" comments......

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

Mine is to.... Just a another joke aimed at R.Dahlin

Lol. Maybe the lotto balls will go our way. He thinks it would be "sick" to be drafted by Vancouver lol.  Maybe we can all will it into existence lol.