Sign in to follow this  
b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

Gotta say I'm really happy with how honest Salo is about Juolevi's development, instead of giving vague and safe public responses he's pretty open about how he's progressing.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2018 at 11:43 AM, Locke Lamora said:

Well, Sami confirmed what my eyes told as I watched Olli in Training Camp. He was not in shape.

Here's hoping that he learned from that and he will own it this Summer and come into camp in September ready to grab a spot.

I get that he is young (and not everyone possesses the Bo Horvat dedication levels), and his skill level has allowed him to get by on his talent...but still frustrating to hear that he clearly has not prioritized his fitness level. I mean, I'm just some retired schmuck posting on a message board....but I'm still crushin' it 5 days a week at the gym - just because being fit, strong and healthy is a GOOD THING. Can't imagine not dedicating oneself to this if MILLIONS of dollars were at stake.

Rootin' for the kid.

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think Juolevi's fitness level last training camp was the result of a lack of discipline but rather an incorrect training regiment. I recall a lot of emphasis being put on him gaining mass, not just with our media/fans, but by his own admission. I remember watching interviews with him where he talked about "getting bigger" to physically compete in the NHL. He gained a lot of mass, which was noticeable during training camp, but unfortunately, that affected his foot speed which subsequently hurt his style of play.

I believe that with the proper training regiment, revolving mostly around cardio, with consistent strength training, his body will naturally develop into a good sized defender with the mobility that his game needs. I believe the error wasn't in lack of dedication, but in an attempt to try and rush his natural, physical development. Hopefully Olli and his training staff have learned from this mistake. I'm optimistic that we will see an entirely different Juolevi this training camp.

• Upvote 3

How is TPS' playoff series going? Started on the 13th ya?

The series starts tomorrow. Then they'll have a game basically every second day. TPS plays SaiPA, the 7th seed after the regular season who barely escaped the pre-playoffs with an overtime win against 10th placed Pelicans (2-1 in a best-of-3).

All the scheduled games can be found here:

http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2017-2018/playoffs/

On 2018-03-15 at 9:10 AM, hanzolo said:

Gotta say I'm really happy with how honest Salo is about Juolevi's development, instead of giving vague and safe public responses he's pretty open about how he's progressing.

I like how he is challenging him in the media.  He's probably going to come over and fit in seemlessly.  Maybe his post draft comments on Salo and his balls are kicking him now lol. 

When asked if he knew of Salo he said along the lines of"oh ya he got hit in the balls" lol. It was comedy gold. Hope Salo has the best intentions for Juolevi.  He is riding him hard to be better. 

First unit PP as their quarterback certainly isn't bad.  He's 19 and running the 2nd best team in Finland's PP. The kids doing great producing. He just needs to add weight and strength to battle along the boards better apparently.  

I hope they didn't take away any of this kids magic by expecting him to bulk up.  The kid was gold in his draft year. Then again he was dominant this past WJC at shutting down opposing teams and transitioning the puck.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I like how he is challenging him in the media.  He's probably going to come over and fit in seemlessly.  Maybe his post draft comments on Salo and his balls are kicking him now lol. 

When asked if he knew of Salo he said along the lines of"oh ya he got hit in the balls" lol. It was comedy gold. Hope Salo has the best intentions for Juolevi.  He is riding him hard to be better. 

First unit PP as their quarterback certainly isn't bad.  He's 19 and running the 2nd best team in Finland's PP. The kids doing great producing. He just needs to add weight and strength to battle along the boards better apparently.  

I hope they didn't take away any of this kids magic by expecting him to bulk up.  The kid was gold in his draft year. Then again he was dominant this past WJC at shutting down opposing teams and transitioning the puck.

I don't think weight and strength are a concern for Juolevi anymore. He's listed at 190lbs and will naturally put on more. He also easily neutralized and outmuscled forwards during the WJCs on the boards.

What he needs to work on now is quickness and fitness. Salo hasn't exactly been that subtle when he's alluded to this with Juolevi, I don't think he's been that impressed with Juolevi's dedication to off ice training and knows he's going to really have to get serious about it this offseason if he is going to take being a professional in the NHL seriously.  Hopefully Juolevi has the work ethic to do what needs to be done this offseason.

Edited by Ihatetomatoes

12 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think Juolevi's fitness level last training camp was the result of a lack of discipline but rather an incorrect training regiment. I recall a lot of emphasis being put on him gaining mass, not just with our media/fans, but by his own admission. I remember watching interviews with him where he talked about "getting bigger" to physically compete in the NHL. He gained a lot of mass, which was noticeable during training camp, but unfortunately, that affected his foot speed which subsequently hurt his style of play.

I believe that with the proper training regiment, revolving mostly around cardio, with consistent strength training, his body will naturally develop into a good sized defender with the mobility that his game needs. I believe the error wasn't in lack of dedication, but in an attempt to try and rush his natural, physical development. Hopefully Olli and his training staff have learned from this mistake. I'm optimistic that we will see an entirely different Juolevi this training camp.

Bang on. We tend to speculate on the CDC and most speculation tends to be negative I am glad to see a positive reasoning.  OJ worked hard to gain weight and is listed at 202lbs currently. 23lbs heavier than his draft year. 

Thie biggest knock on OJ was his slight frame, well he has gone along way to addressing that. 

Posters like War Hippy cautioned the pessimistic and enthusiastic fans that OJ would take a year or so to adjust to the added weight in terms of stamina, speed etc. 

No guarantee that he will

be ready, but evidence already exisists to show a positive trend in terms of his desire to

make the NHL.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Juolevi scores in Game 1 of their playoff series:

That's his office there eh

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Any game updates on TPS?

Looks like they got the late equalizer to send the game to OT tied 3-3. Currently playing first OT period.

Juolevi with one goal on 5 shot attempts (2 SOG).

Palmu with no points and 3 shot attempts (0 SOG).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2018-03-18 at 10:24 PM, Horvats_Big_Head said:

So is OJ Salos responsibility? 

he's kind of taken him under his wing. I think we're really lucky to have Salo  take such an interest in him. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

On 3/19/2018 at 7:53 AM, Rush17 said:

How is TPS' playoff series going?

Check with Sid, he always makes sure to include a cover sheet with his reports.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And TPS wins 4-3 in OT.

Juoevi played 27 minutes, scored a goal, and finished +2.

Awesome!

Just my casual observation but Olli seems to know how to turn it on in playoffs/tournaments.  Kid’s a gamer.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's kind of taken him under his wing. I think we're really lucky to have Salo  take such an interest in him. 

Salo was a master at positioning his body the exact way for coverage and leverage. He played the way the modern dman does now. It's awesome that he is working with JO.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, rekker said:

Salo was a master at positioning his body the exact way for coverage and leverage. He played the way the modern dman does now. It's awesome that he is working with JO.

I'd love to see him back here as our D coach 

• Hydration 1