The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

We have had plenty of players who do much better in the regular season than they do in the playoffs. It's high time we got some more Linden/Ohlund type playoff warriors. If that is how OJ plays, cranking up the intensity when it really matters, I'm just fine with it.

Yeah we seem to have a few guys who seem like they'll step it up in the Playoffs. Horvat had a beastly OHL Playoffs and Memorial Cup. Demko is a big game guy. Dahlen has been carrying his team in the Playoffs. I'm just saying that hopefully Juolevi can play as well as that at points during the season as well once he gets comfortable. It wouldn't hurt anyone.

56 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Olli finishes with 23min in an overtime game.  For some reason Mark Fraser the other Left Defenseman played 28min, I watched the game and Fraser sucked, no idea why the coach wasn't playing Juolevi more.  Played a classic Juolevi game, smart with the puck, excellent in his own zone at reading the play and puck retrieval. He's impossible to forecheck as he either always makes a good quick pass to his teammates or pins the puck and waits for a better option.  Just has such elite hockey IQ.

If I were to pick apart his game a little I'd say he need to work on his footspeed.  1 on 1 he tends to have troubles, he almost got beat wide a few times (He recovered but I worry if an NHL level forward is doing that) and I noticed a forward can fairly easily create space by shifting back and forth a few times on Juolevi as he's just not that quick to turn.  Also he almost never skates the puck out of trouble, he'll always look for a pass and if there isn't a good option for a pass he'll try and force one rather than just skate up the ice with the puck.  Minor thing as he does make excellent passes but if he was a little more aggressive he could be a much more effective defenseman on the breakout. 

Was nice to finally catch a game of his.  Hopefully with a good summer of training he can get a little quicker, it's the only weak part of his game right now as he's plenty strong enough now and has always had elite hockey IQ and passing. 

Beast mode activated. What a kid.  More veterans fall and his game excellerates. That is the type of defenseman who win championships. The ones who rise to the occusation on the grandest stage. He thrives on big game moments.

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Olli finishes with 23min in an overtime game.  For some reason Mark Fraser the other Left Defenseman played 28min, I watched the game and Fraser sucked, no idea why the coach wasn't playing Juolevi more.  Played a classic Juolevi game, smart with the puck, excellent in his own zone at reading the play and puck retrieval. He's impossible to forecheck as he either always makes a good quick pass to his teammates or pins the puck and waits for a better option.  Just has such elite hockey IQ.

If I were to pick apart his game a little I'd say he need to work on his footspeed.  1 on 1 he tends to have troubles, he almost got beat wide a few times (He recovered but I worry if an NHL level forward is doing that) and I noticed a forward can fairly easily create space by shifting back and forth a few times on Juolevi as he's just not that quick to turn.  Also he almost never skates the puck out of trouble, he'll always look for a pass and if there isn't a good option for a pass he'll try and force one rather than just skate up the ice with the puck.  Minor thing as he does make excellent passes but if he was a little more aggressive he could be a much more effective defenseman on the breakout. 

Was nice to finally catch a game of his.  Hopefully with a good summer of training he can get a little quicker, it's the only weak part of his game right now as he's plenty strong enough now and has always had elite hockey IQ and passing. 

I think he tends to overthink on occasion and what appears to be "flatfooted" is indecision and lack of "trust" in what either his partner or backcheck will do.   I noticed this last year in London too - the year prior on a stacked team (and in WJC stacked team), he could be more aggressive as those were strong teams.  On then what were weaker teams, he took on more responsibility and feels he needs (or seems to show that he feels that way) added responsibility.

For NHL, he will need to be coached to concentrate on what he can do and not to worry about others - then again, he will be surrounded by better players who know their job.    

I continue to be impressed how he pushes the play and simply never coughs the puck up on the forecheck.   I also see him skate with the puck more on the offensive side than in his own end - I believe it stems from a general lack of trust as he didn't have that issue two years ago.    

Very excited to see what he brings to the pro camp this  year.

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

That was the biggest problem I noticed he had during the prospects tournament. Hopefully he learns how to improve on that. Mind you, if he didn't actually get beat in this game, maybe he has.

Edited by Psycho_Path

1 minute ago, Psycho_Path said:

That was the biggest problem I noticed he had during the prospects tournament. Hopefully he learns how to improve on that. Mind you, if he didn't actually get beat in this game, maybe he has.

All Dmen get beat wide on the International ice.  We should be thankful our game is better suited for the bigger bodied guys like Olli.  If he was a light Dman, then I would be worried about his getting beat wide, because he would not be able to recover.  Once a Little feller is beat wide it's game over for the goalie, as that little Dman is not moving the forward off his path.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think he tends to overthink on occasion and what appears to be "flatfooted" is indecision and lack of "trust" in what either his partner or backcheck will do.   I noticed this last year in London too - the year prior on a stacked team (and in WJC stacked team), he could be more aggressive as those were strong teams.  On then what were weaker teams, he took on more responsibility and feels he needs (or seems to show that he feels that way) added responsibility.

For NHL, he will need to be coached to concentrate on what he can do and not to worry about others - then again, he will be surrounded by better players who know their job.    

I continue to be impressed how he pushes the play and simply never coughs the puck up on the forecheck.   I also see him skate with the puck more on the offensive side than in his own end - I believe it stems from a general lack of trust as he didn't have that issue two years ago.    

Very excited to see what he brings to the pro camp this  year.

Again this leads to what I think will be stronger playmaking from OJ as the game gets more structured and players support the puck carrier better. The NHL. He's smart. You can't teach that. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All Dmen get beat wide on the International ice.  We should be thankful our game is better suited for the bigger bodied guys like Olli.  If he was a light Dman, then I would be worried about his getting beat wide, because he would not be able to recover.  Once a Little feller is beat wide it's game over for the goalie, as that little Dman is not moving the forward off his path.  

Plus reach. OJ has great reach with his size.

• Upvote 1

I caught a wee bit of the game before work and saw Joulevi a bit. They lost in OT 3-2

Looked like he was playing a conservative style, coaching maybe? Plus the other players are a lot of grown men and veterans.

As noted Mark Fraser got 28 minutes to OJ's 23, maybe the coach is sheltering him a bit because of his age.

Nevertheless he has 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 playoff games and is a plus 2.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

2 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

Yeah, I certainly don't have a problem with him almost getting beat.