The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

58 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I caught a wee bit of the game before work and saw Joulevi a bit. They lost in OT 3-2

Looked like he was playing a conservative style, coaching maybe? Plus the other players are a lot of grown men and veterans.

As noted Mark Fraser got 28 minutes to OJ's 23, maybe the coach is sheltering him a bit because of his age.

Nevertheless he has 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 playoff games and is a plus 2.

I think the minutes were probably more about sheltering Fraser and Berger than sheltering Juolevi. TPS needed to run a top-4 without Tallinder and Eronen. They could have matched up Juolevi and Heikkinen and rode them as a top pair, but then they’d have been left pretty weak on their bottom four. Instead, they had two pairings that were able to eat up over 50 minutes of the game, which was probably a better lineup decision.

Like I said earlier today, Olli’s partner (Martin Berger) was a 21 year old who’d averaged only 11 minutes this season. During the playoffs, Berger has played around 16 minutes while TPS’s D has been depleted by injuries. Today it looks like he played 22-23 minutes with Juolevi.

And Fraser is a third pairing guy when everyone is healthy. With Juolevi anchoring the second pair (with Berger), it made sense to play Fraser with Heikkinen as a veteran top pairing.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

Probably should have clarified that his problem was getting beat by the faster prospects at the tournament on the opposing teams. Happened multiple times in the games he played

Unstructured pond hockey with over the top individualistic play is a bad place to judge defensive players :lol:

32 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the minutes were probably more about sheltering Fraser and Berger than sheltering Juolevi. TPS needed to run a top-4 without Tallinder and Eronen. They could have matched up Juolevi and Heikkinen and rode them as a top pair, but then they’d have been left pretty weak on their bottom four. Instead, they had two pairings that were able to eat up over 50 minutes of the game, which was probably a better lineup decision.

Like I said earlier today, Olli’s partner (Martin Berger) was a 21 year old who’d averaged only 11 minutes this season. During the playoffs, Berger has played around 16 minutes while TPS’s D has been depleted by injuries. Today it looks like he played 22-23 minutes with Juolevi.

And Fraser is a third pairing guy when everyone is healthy. With Juolevi anchoring the second pair (with Berger), it made sense to play Fraser with Heikkinen as a veteran top pairing.

Oh ok that makes sense. Ah ok injuries... the web page is difficult to read.. seems all the info I find is on betting sites Lol.

Thanks Sid.

Game three is gonna be really early (or late depending on your schedule) here is Vancouver.

13:00 start tomorrow in Finland.

So 3am here? I get the time conversions wrong on a regular basis. :P

EDIT: actually looks like a 17:00 start

So 7am in Vancouver?

I think I was looking at the pregame time earlier when they release the official lineups and pregame report.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Juolevi with a wrister from just inside the blueline on the powerplay that wrang off the post. Had it gone in it would've been his second point of the evening and it would've put his team up 2-0. He's looking good so far. Smooth skating and making good decisions on the powerplay.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Those are Doughty-like minutes.  Certainly nice to see he can handle them, especially considering there were some questions surrounding his conditioning.

He was on the ice for that GWG, and looked gassed

Can only ask so much of the guy

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Even more impressive given he played 4 minutes more than Heikkinen, the next highest in TOI.

He was mighty impressive as well. I didn't see any real errors made. Tappara had a hell of a time getting anything going offensively with Juolevi on the ice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Looked like he was just surprised that the guy got through those first 2 TPS forwards. Just a half second to slow to react and get in the way of the shot.

Totally. There's no way that guy should've got through those too forwards and you could tell by his reaction after the goal he was like "guys, really?"