The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

20 minutes ago, Green Building said:

There is absolutely zero reason to trade down if you truly believe that he's your guy. Next thing that happens is the team in front of you snags him and you are left playing second fiddle.

If JB really wanted him, I'm ok with the decision to not risk losing him via trading down. 

Still 2 other dmen with a similar ceiling and there were guys like Jost and Brown.

Hopefully Olli pans out!

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

was hoping for sergachev but juolevi will be a solid d for us. Welcome to the Canucks. 

Sergachov has great tools but Juolevi could be the next Scott Neidermyer in my eyes. Wins everywhere he plays. Just needs to fill out and work on his slap shot and we have a number 1 Dman. 

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

Sergachov has great tools but Juolevi could be the next Scott Neidermyer in my eyes. Wins everywhere he plays. Just needs to fill out and work on his slap shot and we have a number 1 Dman. 

He's 188 already, he doesn't have that far to go.

25 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Going to agree on you on most parts but people were saying a week ago Tkachuck would have been the 3rd overall and is NHL ready and in the playoffs it shows that he can score, something Vancouver needs (29th last year) as much as Defense. 

I wanteD Tkachuk over Dubois and anyone else other than Matthews or a Finn.  But a #1 PMDMAN are hard to get. Tkachuk can be found through trades and UFA

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was actually wondering how long it would take for some who had been ALL over getting him to start labeling him a bust now that we don't have him.

Remarkable really.

I was thinking sad, but sure, remarkable works.

4 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

I wanteD Tkachuk over Dubois and anyone else other than Matthews or a Finn.  But a #1 PMDMAN are hard to get. Tkachuk can be found through trades and UFA

That is if Juolevi does become a PMD. Defense is really hard to gauge in scouting unless you are Doughty or Ekblad and that's probably the reason why Jones dropped in his draft year. 

As least Tkachuck is apparently NHL ready and you already expect some elite scoring from him.

Just bummed Canucks went from being 3rd last to dropping to the 5th overall to having a chance of drafting a player that was seen as someone that dropped but could have been the 3rd overall according to some scouts. To drafting a player that is probably 6 and 7 in most rankings. Isn't the #1 rule in drafting in the 1st round is to get the BPA?

Edited by iinatcc

1 minute ago, Jiggs50 said:

Still 2 other dmen with a similar ceiling and there were guys like Jost and Brown.

Hopefully Olli pans out!

Sure, there are still forwards and D on the board, but Juolevi was drafted for his high intelligence and unique skill set that no Canuck D player or prospect currently possesses. Serg and Chych don't have his smarts. They may turn out to be better players, but at this point who knows right?

If you want Juolevi and then trade down just to be ok with the possibility of drafting a different player should Olli be off the board by then then you never really wanted him that badly. We'll see in 4-5 years how this pick looks, but right now it fills a hole we have had vacant for a long while around here. 

I certainly hope he pans out too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

I hope so, but that is so very unlikely and unfair to say he could possibly be one of the top 5 decorated dmen in NHL history.

Juolevi played on two teams with absolute stacked forwards, and probably had a lot or room because of this. This pick scares me honestly. I will be a fan of his not matter what, but I am not sure this addresses our team needs when we already have #2-7 D and I don't think Juolevi is an NHL PP QB. If he doesn't turn into that PP QB, I think it is a pick that should have been used elsewhere...I hope he is, and wish him nothing but the best of luck. 

I'm sure he will be a fine player.

6 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah but he's 6'3 I think so if he gets to 200 pounds with his IQ and skating , he will be worth his weight in gold. 

Going up 12 pounds and still maintaining a lean mass will be tough, but incredibly rewarding for us if he does!

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

That is if Juolevi does become a PMD. Defense is really hard to gauge in scouting unless you are Doughty or Ekblad and that's probably the reason why Jones dropped in his draft year. 

As least Tkachuck is apparently NHL ready and you already expect some elite scoring from him.

Well put ... I saw someone mention OEL on another post. OEL was insanely touted prior to the draft and even arguably better than Hedman by some GMs. A few picks later you have Jared Cowen. It's risky business unless you know the dmen is a consensus gem.

Usually the sure fire dmen have a consensus about them, I didn't really hear that with Juolevi.... I do not think I legitimately heard one analyst argue that Juolevi was better than Tkachuk or in the top 5. 

This is a risky, risky pick by what I am starting to think is a risky, risky management team. I don't buy the story D needs longer to develop so do it now when the BPA is a very, very safe bet.

Welcome though, excited to see Juolevi's development - can pray for  Teppo Numminen v2.0

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

I hope so, but that is so very unlikely and unfair to say he could possibly be one of the top 5 decorated dmen in NHL history.

Juolevi played on two teams with absolute stacked forwards, and probably had a lot or room because of this. This pick scares me honestly. I will be a fan of his not matter what, but I am not sure this addresses our team needs when we already have #2-7 D and I don't think Juolevi is an NHL PP QB. If he doesn't turn into that PP QB, I think it is a pick that should have been used elsewhere...I hope he is, and wish him nothing but the best of luck. 

I'm sure he will be a fine player.

YouTube the WJC game where the Fins beat Canada. Juolevi played like a god as a 17 year old. That's the game when I was sold on him. Since then he's won WJC gold and a memorial cup. He reminds me of Scotty Neidermyer with his elite skating and superior hockey IQ

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, Roflcawptur said:

1. McCann wasn't the same year as Kylington. Also, Bonino for Sutter hasn't shown what Sutter can do, but Bonino has a nice new Stanley cup ring that he was instrumental in. Not all of JB's moves have been gems

The only trade hes done so far that weve won, and not by much is the Sven Baertchi trade. Everything else has been pretty questionable, and this is year 3 of the Benning era. Gillis had a handful of deals that we've won handidly in the same number of years, with a presidents trophy and a stanley cup final to boot

23 minutes ago, Blueberries said:

I don't mind taking Juolevi, I mind taking Juolevi at 5. Should have traded down as he would have been available still. 

Depends on if you get Calgary or Arizona to bite on trading up. No guarantee either of those teams doesn't take him though. I felt Arizona would go for Tkachuk in our spot if we moved down to 7, but then would Calgary pass? We would have had Sergachev at that point which would have been pretty good consolation, but again, would Arizona have paid to move up? If not, then no point in dropping for a marginal piece and risk missing on the player you want.

• Upvote 1