The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, theo5789 said:

You have other players on your team that are suppose to cover the passes, his job is to keep his man in which he did for the most part with one of the "shiftiest" players in the game. OJ has to try and do it without taking a penalty.

Your trying to tell me that players getting open in the slot never happens. Boeser makes a living from that as do many other forwards, drifting in and out, stick on the ice waiting for some one like Hughes or Petersson the put it on their tape. What OJ needed to do was get his body on  HUghes and prevent (( or make difficult) the pass to the high slot ..... that's his job for heavens sake. If your the coach that's a video session for OJ

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

In a real game a player in slot would have received great set up from Hughes without OJ laying a finger on him. He could never get close enough to ride the Hughes into the boards or hold him up. Come on OJ this is your career on the line. On the positive side OJ did manage to stay on his skates

He did about as well as anyone else against Hughes who regularly makes the elite look silly at times. Cant really ride or hold a guy into the boards anymore, usually gets you a penalty. Not as often in playoffs but definitely in the regular season. Hopefully a healthy Juolevi can start a consistent upward trajectory and get away from the injuries that have haunted his development.

23 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What OJ needed to do was get his body on  HUghes and prevent (( or make difficult) the pass to the high slot ..... that's his job for heavens sake.

If that was his job, he should have skated out to between the face off dots and let the goalie go one on one with Hughes. 

How do you think that would have worked out?  :picard:

29 minutes ago, ohmy said:

He did about as well as anyone else against Hughes who regularly makes the elite look silly at times. Cant really ride or hold a guy into the boards anymore, usually gets you a penalty. Not as often in playoffs but definitely in the regular season. Hopefully a healthy Juolevi can start a consistent upward trajectory and get away from the injuries that have haunted his development.

I hope he's on his way up too. It's great watching Hughes reverses often and as quick as he does .... but as Pat Quinn said practising with Bure make the whole team better. With some one like Hughes you have to get physically involved or he'll make a fool of you every shift. Thankfully he's on our roster not some other team. Be it a stick an elbow a hip you can't stand off this kid. And if you get a chnace to throw a hit make it count.

From the Canuckarmy, it's not me but expresses the same question

Quinn Hughes owned Juolevi in that drill. Hughes looked awesome, Juolevi got turn-stiled.

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Plugging in two minor leaguers who haven’t had more than a cup of coffee at the NHL as a third pairing (even if just the third pairing) is the Oilers model.

Heaven forbid the Oilers don't always get thing right but I believe their thinking is sound this time. We all surmise that Vcr is not going to win the Cup this year, it's 2-3, maybe more, away. So you need to groom your young D and polish the rough edges so in that period your, cheap D will be available. Some come as complete packages, Hughes for instance but others, perfectly good future  players need help. I'm thinking Rafferty. Biesbois, Rathbone and maybe Chatfield and Sautner. Vcr is fortunate to have these alternates available. Think of Ethan Bear in Edm. a 5th round pick and is/will be a top 4 D'man. Rathbone is another steal from HIgh school/USHL and Rafferty is a FA from the NCAA, these are like gifts. Juolevi should have been closer to Hughes than Rathbone IMO. Man we sure flexed some strength in the USHL the last couple of years. The next one to join those ranks IMO is McDonough currently with N'Eastern but from Cedar Rapids in the USHL

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

You have other players on your team that are suppose to cover the passes, his job is to keep his man in which he did for the most part with one of the "shiftiest" players in the game. OJ has to try and do it without taking a penalty.

OJ’s job is to prevent Hughes from getting a scoring chance. Which Hughes did quite easily both times. Hughes controlled the play the entire time, OJ didn’t have great position to prevent Hughes from getting to the net....This looked a lot like the old Spezza getting schooled by Crosby video. But the caveat is this in practice. I wouldn’t take too much of this, talkin about practice. 

13 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Heaven forbid the Oilers don't always get thing right but I believe their thinking is sound this time. We all surmise that Vcr is not going to win the Cup this year, it's 2-3, maybe more, away. So you need to groom your young D and polish the rough edges so in that period your, cheap D will be available. Some come as complete packages, Hughes for instance but others, perfectly good future  players need help. I'm thinking Rafferty. Biesbois, Rathbone and maybe Chatfield and Sautner. Vcr is fortunate to have these alternates available. Think of Ethan Bear in Edm. a 5th round pick and is/will be a top 4 D'man. Rathbone is another steal from HIgh school/USHL and Rafferty is a FA from the NCAA, these are like gifts. Juolevi should have been closer to Hughes than Rathbone IMO. Man we sure flexed some strength in the USHL the last couple of years. The next one to join those ranks IMO is McDonough currently with N'Eastern but from Cedar Rapids in the USHL

Putting two rookies together on the blueline is a recipe for failure whatever stage your team is in imho (I’m excluding unplanned emergency situations like a ton of injuries).  Hughes is an outlier.  You saw right away he belonged in the NHL.

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

What are the price tags of these 'younger and better' players?

I'd prefer lots of things. +/-27 other GM's are in the same boat. Nobody could 'plan' for covid. It is what it is.

What 'struggle' would allow us to lock them up long term? Are we talking the cost to move Eriksson? I agree that's an avenue we will likely explore. Or do you mean something else?

The price tag will vary depending on the player obviously, but trading for a younger player is more worthwhile for any team. 

The struggle would be moving Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel and/or any of the other contracts that we would need to move in order to lock Pettersson and Hughes up to 8 year deals. 

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

If OJ rides him into the boards he either takes a penalty attempting to do so or it just ends the drill which kind of defeats the purpose. It's a drill to test defensive change of direction (agility), OJ could absolutely pin him against the boards (if he caught him) but that doesn't benefit him or Hughes in that drill. OJ looked pretty good from an agility stand point. Hughes is a top 3 skater in the league in that scenario, the fact that OJ could hand with him is a good sign. Edler is held to high regard around here for good reason, but he would have been left behind or had his ankles broken.

Exactly...!

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The price tag will vary depending on the player obviously, but trading for a younger player is more worthwhile for any team. 

The struggle would be moving Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel and/or any of the other contracts that we would need to move in order to lock Pettersson and Hughes up to 8 year deals. 

When we win the cup and Erikson scores the winning goal...or scores 5 goals and 10 points ...due to the writing being on the wall if he doesn't (Utica)...and same for R & B

...both are playoff performers and with Big Mac and other's coming we won't be needing them...

So they should each fetch  a 2nd rounder if not a protected first ( how great would that be )...never mind having to throw in Gaudette or Mac....!

...We just need the cup first...

17 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Not if they can't afford them. $3m is not a lot for a borderline 2nd line producing, top in league 3rd liner, elite pest. Sure, some of those guys are better and/or younger but they're also going to cost more to both acquire and cap space to pay (as well as longer term).

Roussel won't be a struggle and Beagle we're not moving.

Eriksson, yes, hopefully that one doesn't hurt too bad. I'm still hopeful that between his actual dollars owed, maybe retaining $2m-$3m of cap and taking another ~$1m 'bad' contract back (that we can bury in the minors), that evens things up enough that the cost isn't 'bend over without lube' territory.

Or Gordie willing, he just retires (long shot, I know).

Edited by aGENT