The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Was encouraging seeing him hold his own in the dance with Huggy Bear as well as keep up with Shotgun stride for stride.  He has always had a good shot and superior passing ability, so if he has improved his agility and speed, it bodes well for this next season

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

Was encouraging seeing him hold his own in the dance with Huggy Bear as well as keep up with Shotgun stride for stride.  He has always had a good shot and superior passing ability, so if he has improved his agility and speed, it bodes well for this next season

His speed has never really been an issue (when healthy anyway). While no water bug like Hughes, he's always had a smooth, long, powerful stride (though his first few strides could use more oomph). His lateral skating (especially with the knee/hip issues) could use some work as well. If he's been working on and improving those aspects, it will bode well for him :)

44 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I dream he becomes a NHL player. 

Hopefully he can crack the lineup next year even as an extra.

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Stecher (re-sign)

Rathbone - Fantenberg

Juolevi/Benn/Rafferty

realistically 3 guys battling for the 2 spots unless a UFA is signed which I doubt because of cap

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Final scrimmage and Juolevi gets paired with Stecher while Fanta gets paired with Chatfield, is there a chance we see Juolevi play his first NHL game in the play in round?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he was just keeping the seat warm though for when Benn comes back.

It would be great to see Juolevi get this chance, but also pretty crazy pressure to put on him... his first NHL action in a play in round. 

All in all I’m incredibly happy to hear that he’s had a solid camp. I feel very bad for all the setbacks this kid has had. He’s due for some good luck. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he was just keeping the seat warm though for when Benn comes back.

It would be great to see Juolevi get this chance, but also pretty crazy pressure to put on him... his first NHL action in a play in round. 

All in all I’m incredibly happy to hear that he’s had a solid camp. I feel very bad for all the setbacks this kid has had. He’s due for some good luck. 

I doubt he's a seat warmer for Benn for two reasons. If I'm not mistaken they're in Dallas for the baby, so the time until he leaves + 2 weeks would be longer than the time until games start. Second, Fanta seems to be favourable for Green over Benn.

He'll be nervous but I'm sure he'll be able to handle it once the nerves are gone. I hope he does well as well and solidifies our d core.

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I dream he becomes a NHL player. 

He will be, I just hope he stays healthy. I watched a few games of his in junior and the World Jrs, he can defintely play. OJs breakout passes when, he's on, is a sight to behold. Theres so many times where it looks like hes lugging the puck like its a sunday skate and just fire absolute lasers tape to tape

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

He will be, I just hope he stays healthy. I watched a few games of his in junior and the World Jrs, he can defintely play. OJs breakout passes when, he's on, is a sight to behold. Theres so many times where it looks like hes lugging the puck like its a sunday skate and just fire absolute lasers tape to tape

His passing and vision are I think his best skills. Having him complement Hughes (and Rathbone) will give us a ton of different looks on LD for years to come.

• Cheers 3

53 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

His passing and vision are I think his best skills. Having him complement Hughes (and Rathbone) will give us a ton of different looks on LD for years to come.

IIRC, Rathbone can/has played right side before. Perhaps an eventual (post Edler/Tanev) 2nd pair of Juolevi-Rathbone?

They'd make a good complimentary pair IMO if Rathbone works on the right.

Still a question mark of who's Hughes partner will be long term but something like:

Hughes, _____

Juolevi, Rathbone

Brisebois, Rafferty (eventually giving way to Woo)

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IIRC, Rathbone can/has played right side before. Perhaps an eventual (post Edler/Tanev) 2nd pair of Juolevi-Rathbone?

Still a question mark of who's Hughes partner will be long term but something like:

Hughes, _____

Juolevi, Rathbone

Next year’s draft is reputed to have good D prospects.

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, _____

Juolevi, Rathbone

I don’t recall Rathbone playing much on the right side. Maybe a shift here or there, when his team’s short a Dman, or because of injuries, but he’s not really a guy who switches sides often IIRC.

Brisebois, on the other hand, seems to have a knack for playing either side. I think he played long stretches in Utica as a RHD, even though he’s a natural LHD. 

Woo should hopefully develop into a second pairing RHD.

And between Chatfield, Rafferty, and Brisebois, hopefully we have another young Dman who can play on the right side, at least at a third pairing level.

Still need to find a first pair RHD. Ideally a two-way, minute munching type with good size, strength, skating, and puck moving. Basically a Pietrangelo type. Easier said than down, I know, as every team wants this type of player, even the ones that already have one.

Hopefully we get lucky at the draft. A guy like Ian Moore might be there in the 3rd. And he has the potential to become that first pairing, all situations, RHD that we really need added to the system.

The left side looks quite good, assuming Juolevi remains healthy and is able to round into form, and Rathbone meets projections and develops into something of an Alex Goligoski type.

Thankfully, we finally have an elite #1D in Hughes. That’s the toughest piece to find and he’s already in place. The rest is manageable.

But ideally, we add another elite guy to play on the right side, but more in the mode of the prototypical minute munching, two-way #1D. Basically a 25 minutes per game in the regular season, 30 minutes in the playoffs, type of RHD would be ideal. 

No pressure, JB. ;) 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t recall Rathbone playing much on the right side. Maybe a shift here or there, when his team’s short a Dman, or because of injuries, but he’s not really a guy who switches sides often IIRC.

Brisebois, on the other hand, seems to have a knack for playing either side. I think he played long stretches in Utica as a RHD, even though he’s a natural LHD. 

Woo should hopefully develop into a second pairing RHD.

And between Chatfield, Rafferty, and Brisebois, hopefully we have another young Dman who can play on the right side, at least at a third pairing level.

Still need to find a first pair RHD. Ideally a two-way, minute munching type with good size, strength, skating, and puck moving. Basically a Pietrangelo type. Easier said than down, I know, as every team wants this type of player, even the ones that already have one.

Hopefully we get lucky at the draft. A guy like Ian Moore might be there in the 3rd. And he has the potential to become that first pairing, all situations, RHD that we really need added to the system.

The left side looks quite good, assuming Juolevi remains healthy and is able to round into form, and Rathbone meets projections and develops into something of an Alex Goligoski type.

Thankfully, we finally have an elite #1D in Hughes. That’s the toughest piece to find and he’s already in place. The rest is manageable.

But ideally, we add another elite guy to play on the right side, but more in the mode of the prototypical minute munching, two-way #1D. Basically a 25 minutes per game in the regular season, 30 minutes in the playoffs, type of RHD would be ideal. 

No pressure, JB. ;) 

Seider was my pick at 10 heading into last year's draft. What could have been. :P

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

OJ looked pretty solid with Stecher in the scrimmages - I do hope we can find enough common ground to resign Troy.  He's a younger Biega ....  can skate, decent passer, and hits everything that moves just to prove that undersized d men can play in the NHL

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Seider was my pick at 10 heading into last year's draft. What could have been. :P

Was/am a big Seider fan as well. I would have had a hard time picking between him and Podkolzin if both were still there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

OJ looked pretty solid with Stecher in the scrimmages - I do hope we can find enough common ground to resign Troy.  He's a younger Biega ....  can skate, decent passer, and hits everything that moves just to prove that undersized d men can play in the NHL

I like Stecher too. I believe coach and management do too.

The problem is primarily in cap room but also because I think his camp may view him as being more valuable than I think he really is. To us. I view him as a real good bottom pairing guy who does almost everything reasonably well, but has limited upside as well as lack of sting behind those hits. He brings it every game and man I admire the passion but he just isn't going to be more than bottom pairing for us moving forward anyway. I don't at all think he would complain to be played in that position, but it also means bottom pair dollars from management - if we could even afford that now.

I know he loves Vancouver and I would love to see him stay. Benning needs to find a way to clear up cap space. Primarily moving LE's albatross. It would make all the difference across the other pending contracts as well. Everyone (including me) are expecting us to lose something we want to keep given the pending contracts, but it doesn't have to be that way if we could just find the cap. Guess that is far easier said than done in a cap-flat world.