Sign in to follow this  
b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

On 3/29/2020 at 2:37 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Guys remember the more D you have in your system the more likely you're gonna have one of them pan out.

Not everyone we've got is gonna make it or even be as good as we think.

We need OJ, Rath, Try, Woo, Raff, etc. Our D core isn't getting any younger.

I'd add Brisebois to this list as well.  That is 6 guys with relatively high potential to play up the lineup .  Chatfield and Saunter are good options as 6/7 D while the others develop.  We have a pretty deep talent pool of D, I just don't know if any are top pairing potential.

• Hydration 1

This might be a blessing in disguise for OJ. Gives him some time off to get stronger and healthy before the next time hockey rolls around.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'd add Brisebois to this list as well.  That is 6 guys with relatively high potential to play up the lineup .  Chatfield and Saunter are good options as 6/7 D while the others develop.  We have a pretty deep talent pool of D, I just don't know if any are top pairing potential.

The few potential guys we have are question marks. Rathbone, OJ and Tryamkin look like they could be top 4 D. I am setting the bar pretty low for Rafferty, not that I don't like him but because it is hard to predict how he'll pan out as a 25 year old rookie next year so I don't want him to feel like he has a lot of expectations around him. Brisebois/Chatfield/Saunter are getting around that make or break time, same with Rafferty. They look like potential top 6 D

I do think we need to add another RH shot high quality D in our prospect pool. Woo looks like he could become a really good 4/5 Dillon/Edmundson type. His physical game is his bread and butter. Need an everything RH shot D, talking Pietrangelo/Weber type that can be used in all situations and they'll be able to make the jump around the time Myers is gone in 3-4 years. That's one area in the draft I'd want us to look at for the next couple seasons. 2021 has some quality D so if we "made" the playoffs this year and gave NJD our pick this year I would be fine. Spend 2021's early picks on D, we seem to have better luck finding forwards than D in the 4+ rounds.

We're gonna be adding younger D next year for sure. I see one guy in the top 6 and the other as the 7th. Get rid of Benn which would be easy. 

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Need an everything RH shot D, talking Pietrangelo/Weber type that can be used in all situations and they'll be able to make the jump around the time Myers is gone in 3-4 years. 

Us and about 30 other teams :lol:

Unfortunately, those guys kind of need to fall in to your lap. There's no 'planning' that player type.

Just now, aGENT said:

Us and about 30 other teams :lol:

Unfortunately, those guys kind of need to fall in to your lap. There's no 'planning' that player type.

Meant not to that extent. Just another all-around RH shot D that can play in the top 4 that can compliment Hughes/Rathbone/OJ

• Hydration 1

I know we're not supposed to hand out roster spots but I really want us to give him some games at the start of next season regardless of his camp. Kid just needs a break and an opportunity for us to see where he's at as a NHL player.

12 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I know we're not supposed to hand out roster spots but I really want us to give him some games at the start of next season regardless of his camp. Kid just needs a break and an opportunity for us to see where he's at as a NHL player.

No, everyone should be held accountable. If Olli has a good camp next season, he will be our 3rd pairing LD, if not he will have to work his way up from Utica, and I am sure by next season he will be the first call up if there is an injury. Guys like Briseboi is also close to NHL ready as well, and it does not send a good message within the organization if a guy like Briseboi out plays OJ at camp and won't make the line up because of the idea that OJ should be given a spot. I believe Briseboi is also waiver eligible starting next season, so it will be interesting to see what the Canucks do. If Tryamkin returns as well, that's 3 players fighting for the 3rd pair LD position and I still believe the best player gets the spot regardless of status and draft position.

• Hydration 1

29 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

No, everyone should be held accountable. If Olli has a good camp next season, he will be our 3rd pairing LD, if not he will have to work his way up from Utica, and I am sure by next season he will be the first call up if there is an injury. Guys like Briseboi is also close to NHL ready as well, and it does not send a good message within the organization if a guy like Briseboi out plays OJ at camp and won't make the line up because of the idea that OJ should be given a spot. I believe Briseboi is also waiver eligible starting next season, so it will be interesting to see what the Canucks do. If Tryamkin returns as well, that's 3 players fighting for the 3rd pair LD position and I still believe the best player gets the spot regardless of status and draft position.

I think they’ll try and replace Tanev’s spot in the top 4 with Tryamkin and hope that they can have one guy fill in for Stecher. I do think right now Juolevi is good enough to be in our top 6. I get why they left him down but come next year I think he plays at least half the season in the nhl. The battle in camp is Rafferty, Brisebois, Chatfield, Juolevi and Sautner. Listing those names I wouldn’t mind trying to shed Benn’s 2 million and having two of those guys make the team.

Hughes Tryamkin

Edler Rafferty/Juolevi

Fantenberg Myers

Brisebois

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think they’ll try and replace Tanev’s spot in the top 4 with Tryamkin and hope that they can have one guy fill in for Stecher. I do think right now Juolevi is good enough to be in our top 6. I get why they left him down but come next year I think he plays at least half the season in the nhl. The battle in camp is Rafferty, Brisebois, Chatfield, Juolevi and Sautner. Listing those names I wouldn’t mind trying to shed Benn’s 2 million and having two of those guys make the team.

Hughes Tryamkin

Edler Rafferty/Juolevi

Fantenberg Myers

Brisebois

Tanev is a lot harder to replace than many anticipate. He logs the big minutes and he logs the hard minutes. He also allows Hughes to play the way he wants to out there because Hughes knows he can trust Tanev will be there to bail him out when he pinches. Tryamkin/Briseboi/OJ next season are 3 candidates ideally for the 3rd pair LD position. Tanev will still have to be re-signed. Would love the Canucks to be able to sign Rathbone as I think he can really be that wildcard that can make imediate impact if he makes the line up.

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

Tanev is a lot harder to replace than many anticipate. He logs the big minutes and he logs the hard minutes. He also allows Hughes to play the way he wants to out there because Hughes knows he can trust Tanev will be there to bail him out when he pinches. Tryamkin/Briseboi/OJ next season are 3 candidates ideally for the 3rd pair LD position. Tanev will still have to be re-signed. Would love the Canucks to be able to sign Rathbone as I think he can really be that wildcard that can make imediate impact if he makes the line up.

One thing for sure, and it's a good problem, is the Defensive choices are tightening up in Vcr, we're maybe a year from a major upgrade

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

I agree Tanev will be hard to replace but his injury history which won’t get better over time makes me scared to commit big money over term. He’ll be 31 next year and will probably get a 5 to 6 year contract at what I think will be 5.25+ mill a year. Not sure I’d sign Tanev from 31-36/37 years of age.

• Hydration 1

On 4/3/2020 at 1:47 PM, flickyoursedin said:

I agree Tanev will be hard to replace but his injury history which won’t get better over time makes me scared to commit big money over term. He’ll be 31 next year and will probably get a 5 to 6 year contract at what I think will be 5.25+ mill a year. Not sure I’d sign Tanev from 31-36/37 years of age.

Totally agree. Not only that but how do teams deal with C19 and the drop in revenue? The CAP will be down on a wage structure that already exists. I see another wave of buyouts and reduced salaries for those resigned. Maybe more bridge deals? 

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. Not only that but how do teams deal with C19 and the drop in revenue? The CAP will be down on a wage structure that already exists. I see another wave of buyouts and reduced salaries for those resigned. Maybe more bridge deals? 

The shortened season took a lot of money out the Cap calculation for next season and as you stated the capital floating around next September is likely 50% of what it should be. Ticket sales will be  down both corporate and private. The NHL as well as the PA has to address this. My hope is they don't under estimate to impact of the financial down fall. If they under estimate they may be playing in front of half fill arenas and that will further impact the following season. Looks like the gravy train is over

On 4/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, Fred65 said:

One thing for sure, and it's a good problem, is the Defensive choices are tightening up in Vcr, we're maybe a year from a major upgrade

I will say we are definitely taken the right steps towards forwards, but Defense is far from complete. Right now, we have a lot of guys who can step in and play the bottom pairing, but I still think we lack another puck mover who can relieve the pressure when Hughes is not on the ice. I will say we lack a true physical and punishing defenseman.

41 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I will say we are definitely taken the right steps towards forwards, but Defense is far from complete. Right now, we have a lot of guys who can step in and play the bottom pairing, but I still think we lack another puck mover who can relieve the pressure when Hughes is not on the ice. I will say we lack a true physical and punishing defenseman.

I get your point......but I preach patience here

Let us see what Juolevi, Rathbone, Tryamkin and Rafferty can give us, first

I honestly think that we may have all that in out own system, one year away, so there is no reason to go out and force the issue, as all our potential answers to your concern are somewhat cost controlled for the first 3 years....

Where as, any traded player that you need, will probably be in their 2nd or 3rd contract and costing substantially more......

Give Benning one more year.....lets see what he has done, first.

• Hydration 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:06 AM, BCNate said:

Rathbone is the real deal.

• Hydration 3

39 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I get your point......but I preach patience here

Let us see what Juolevi, Rathbone, Tryamkin and Rafferty can give us, first

I honestly think that we may have all that in out own system, one year away, so there is no reason to go out and force the issue, as all our potential answers to your concern are somewhat cost controlled for the first 3 years....

Where as, any traded player that you need, will probably be in their 2nd or 3rd contract and costing substantially more......

Give Benning one more year.....lets see what he has done, first.

I agree. However, next year is the last year that both EP and Hughes will be on the ELC, and next year the Canucks should be an even better team. I think the Canucks should atleast try to give this team a shot to win it all starting next year (not saying we go all in and buy the big names but atleast ice a team that will do some damage in the playoffs). I think signing Joel Edmundson or Brendan Dillon (1 of 2) can improve this team's defense. And we will let the 4 prospects you mention fight it out to push for a roster spot. Ideally, Tryamkin will be that physical punishing defenseman and Rafferty or Rathbone would be the additonal puck mover. If OJ can just remain healthy, he should get some NHL games under his belt as well. Juolevi to me will be the key, if he can remain healthy and be the player the Canucks envision him to be, it will go a long way. Among all of the names you mentioned, I am most excited about Rathbone, I think he has the potential to make immediate impact when he gets inserted in the line up.

• Hydration 3

Is Jack close to overtaking Ollie as a left hand Dman prospect?  He could be close by the end of next season or sooner possibly. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1