b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I know people like to speculate he was a video game addict but there’s really not much proof there.

 

who cares if he likes video games.  A lot of prospects will put that down as a hobby, and it's normal for guys his age to enjoy video games.  What was he suppose to write down in his draft profile?  He likes writing poetry and reading novels all day long? give me a damn break, heck even a ton of Canuck players play fortnite.  big deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

 

who cares if he likes video games.  A lot of prospects will put that down as a hobby, and it's normal for guys his age to enjoy video games.  What was he suppose to write down in his draft profile?  He likes writing poetry and reading novels all day long? give me a damn break, heck even a ton of Canuck players play fortnite.  big deal. 

Well the speculation was that he was addicted and it was affecting his focus.

 

Again no evidence to that, just repeating what the rumors were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well the speculation was that he was addicted and it was affecting his focus.

 

Again no evidence to that, just repeating what the rumors were.

 

I've heard this rumor too, that a certain prospects addiction to video games might jeopardize his career, although still no actual evidence, this rumor literally points to Jakub Zboril, one of the Bruins first round picks in 2015, who is a known player that a "huge fan" of world of warcraft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That an opinion.

 

Sautner is 26. If he had the ability to handle the puck at the NHL level he would be here by now.  I disagree there.

 

A case could be made for Brisebois. I respect that. If Edler were out & they wanted someone to kill penalties & take D zone shifts against jamie Benn I could see it.   But in most circumstances, its only my opinion, they would call on Olli?

Sautner is a solid depth call up option. OJ will/should hopefully surpass him in time.

 

Considering OJ hasn't seen an NHL game yet, I suspect he isn't going to walk right into a playoff situation barring him actually outperforming in practices and earning that chance over the guys that have some NHL experience.

 

There's a reason why Sautner was initially the first call up this season when we needed a body. He got a concussion and Brisebois became the regular call up for insurance for much of the season. OJ once again is just coming back from injury/maintenance and still could use some game action (which he is unfortunately missing out on in the shortened season in the AHL). I'm not against him getting a game if he does earn it (or if several players go down), I just don't think it's the right situation to bring him in considering the pressure/scrutiny he will face not only given that it's playoffs, but it being his first game and all the hype that will be around it. I think he will gain valuable experience in the practices at this level that he can grow for next season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If I recall correctly it was confirmed way back when on 650 radio (can't remember if it was an insider or Canucks management) that Olli was not the prospect going through the video game addiction.

Edited by MrCanuck94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well the speculation was that he was addicted and it was affecting his focus.

 

Again no evidence to that, just repeating what the rumors were.

Marek also denied that it was Juolevi he was talking about.  

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I have Olli 5th on the depth chart for LHD.

 

Hughes

Edler

Fantenburg

Benn

Juolevi

 

And Olli is absolutely better with the puck than Benn. Its really not a stretch to say anyone could get injured >> then he would be a good card to play!

I must have missed something.  
When did OJ prove to be an NHL dman?  
Did he just put together a season that should make us think he is ready for the NHL playoffs?

 

Lots of people control the puck better than Benn.  But he is also a veteran NHL dman who seems like a step it up in the playoffs kinda guy.  

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I must have missed something.  
When did OJ prove to be an NHL dman?  
Did he just put together a season that should make us think he is ready for the NHL playoffs?

 

Lots of people control the puck better than Benn.  But he is also a veteran NHL dman who seems like a step it up in the playoffs kinda guy.  

August....2020...

 

Just watch...!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling it now.  Juolevi will have a PK Subban style like breakout in the playoffs back in 2010.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Calling it now.  Juolevi will have a PK Subban style like breakout in the playoffs back in 2010.

might be a secret weapon we can deploy.  apparently avs will deploy bowan Byram for the playoffs.  we can deploy Juolevi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

 

 

Thanks for the clips...A lot of the top of the 2016 1st round picks are already around 300 games played in the NHL...If Juolevi can make the NHL, that would be quite a story. (I dont mean it sarcastically, but its one hell of an uphill battle now).

Edited by Honky Cat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Thanks for the clips...A lot of the top of the 2016 1st round picks are already around 300 games played in the NHL...If Juolevi can make the NHL, that would be quite a story. (I dont mean it sarcastically, but its one hell of an uphill battle now).

Yeah he's in tough and now overtaken by Rathbone or so it seems. All the Pro Juolevi pundits seems to have faded away. You wonder if they could identify other top picks that have failed to make an impact and try a trade, Mittelstad  Pulujavior (SP) Liljegren just as examples. You think a change of scenery ... who knows 

Edited by Fred65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see Olli looking healthy and getting some black ace time in.  
 

Should be some good opportunity / competition between Juolevi, Rathbone and Brisebois next season!!

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Thanks for the clips...A lot of the top of the 2016 1st round picks are already around 300 games played in the NHL...If Juolevi can make the NHL, that would be quite a story. (I dont mean it sarcastically, but its one hell of an uphill battle now).

yeah, super uphill ... a 22 year old top 5 pick defenceman who has performed well professionally and whose original drafting team is still very high on him. 

 

a total long shot. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, super uphill ... a 22 year old top 5 pick defenceman who has performed well professionally and whose original drafting team is still very high on him. 

 

a total long shot. 

He's lost a lot of development time due to injuries, while he's been rehabbing his peers have been developing and gaining experience.  At 18 he was expected to be 3-4 years away under a normal development path and it's hard to argue his path is been normal. Add in the fact that he's been surpassed by a super star in Hughes and has a strong competition spot coming in next year with Rathbone.  His path to reach his draft expectations is still a major uphill battle.

 

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah he's in tough and now overtaken by Rathbone or so it seems. All the Pro Juolevi pundits seems to have faded away. You wonder if they could identify other top picks that have failed to make an impact and try a trade, Mittelstad  Pulujavior (SP) Liljegren just as examples. You think a change of scenery ... who knows 

Mittelstadt is a left shot center so it's not really an area we need right now.  For the same reasons canucks likely don't trade Joulevi within the division i don't see oilers doing the same. Liljegren is one I could be interested in since he has the right shot, but leafs are still high on him and need to sell it as that, since that they are going to be desperate for ELC playing on their roster.  And really to be fair, he put up .75p/pg as a 20 year old last season in AHL. 

 

I wouldn't be against packaging him and Jake up for a more established RHD D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's lost a lot of development time due to injuries, while he's been rehabbing his peers have been developing and gaining experience.  At 18 he was expected to be 3-4 years away under a normal development path and it's hard to argue his path is been normal. Add in the fact that he's been surpassed by a super star in Hughes and has a strong competition spot coming in next year with Rathbone.  His path to reach his draft expectations is still a major uphill battle.

 

Mittelstadt is a left shot center so it's not really an area we need right now.  For the same reasons canucks likely don't trade Joulevi within the division i don't see oilers doing the same. Liljegren is one I could be interested in since he has the right shot, but leafs are still high on him and need to sell it as that, since that they are going to be desperate for ELC playing on their roster.  And really to be fair, he put up .75p/pg as a 20 year old last season in AHL. 

 

I wouldn't be against packaging him and Jake up for a more established RHD D.

...and here we are, 4 years later, and he'll be battling for a spot in camp next year -- in spite of his aforementioned injury setbacks.

 

Jim Benning is patient and knows that it's not a sprint. Juolevi is in good shape as far as trajectory goes and he'll be a solid 2-4 d-man for a long time. not spectacular, but solid. Alex Edler. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.