The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not impossible... And I've suggested we aim to move him and his cap to gain some space there (with no meaningful/possibly slightly negative return).

But failing that, I wouldn't be surprised to see us move on from Stecher and have Benn/Rafferty tandem that right side, 3rd pair and spare slot with Juolevi taking the left. Benn pays bigger, more physical teams, Rafferty the quicker run and gun teams.

Benn will be in a contract year again too, so maybe that lights a fire there. 

I could see Stecher moved to TO, they really can't afford a better player to shore up the right side and he might go for a cheaper deal, in the 2x4 year range given the covid cap situation. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, canuktravella said:

podz is playing in nhl in 21-22  next yr 

Who knows with the worsening Covid situation down in the KHL. We might see him as soon as next season. If somehow the KHL shuts down before the start of the season and we can get Podz in, I think we have a good shot to continuing our Calder finalist streak.

Four years in a row, that got to be one for the history books.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Who knows with the worsening Covid situation down in the KHL. We might see him as soon as next season. If somehow the KHL shuts down before the start of the season and we can get Podz in, I think we have a good shot to continuing our Calder finalist streak.

the khl season could end early. not sure if he would qualify for playoffs tho. Tryamkin wasn't able to down the stretch but maybe with the NHL season starting later it may be permitted?

It would have probably resulted in half an hour of penalties (given the way zebras were calling the games), but it would’ve been pretty fun to have had Tryamkin-Myers play a few shifts this series, and just have the twin towers chuck the Wild’s most annoying players around the ice, almost like a couple of big farm boys loading hay bales.

EDIT: I know, totally wrong thread, but seems on topic based on the posts above.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

56 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

the khl season could end early. not sure if he would qualify for playoffs tho. Tryamkin wasn't able to down the stretch but maybe with the NHL season starting later it may be permitted?

Podz is an ELC, Tryamkin an RFA. Completely different contract situations.

5 hours ago, LeanBeef said:

Just realized with Olli playing last night...

Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes

Canucks have one of their first round picks from each yr since 2013 on the roster. 

crazy difference if you look at how the 5 players before this turned out for Vancouver

Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder, Hodgson, White, Grabner (traded w the 2010 1st pick) 

It's awesome, though to be fair:

Horvat (9th)

Virtanen (6th)

Boeser (23rd)

Juolevi (5th)

Pettersson (5th)

Hughes (7th)

vs.

Gaunce (26th)

Jensen (29th)

Schroeder (22nd)

Hodgson (10th)

White (25th) 

Grabner (14th)

Not excusing the Gillis regime's drafting, but Benning has had much higher 1st round picks to work with.

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

possibly cowinners hoglander and podz

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Horvat (9th)

Virtanen (6th)

Boeser (23rd)

Juolevi (5th)

Pettersson (5th)

Hughes (7th)

vs.

Gaunce (26th)

Jensen (29th)

Schroeder (22nd)

Hodgson (10th)

White (25th) 

Grabner (14th)

Not excusing the Gillis regime's drafting, but Benning has had much higher 1st round picks to work with.

I agree but you look at drafting from 2000 to 1013? Count how many players in those 13 years played more then 100 games? Some draft years no players made the NHL? Since Jim Benning and group took over just great drafting... There 1st year 1014 - 5 players are NHL players...

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree but you look at drafting from 2000 to 1013? Count how many players in those 13 years played more then 100 games? Some draft years no players made the NHL? Since Jim Benning and group took over just great drafting... There 1st year 1014 - 5 players are NHL players...

The Canucks first round picks from 2000 is as follows:

00: Nathan Smith

01: RJ Umberger

02: n/a

03: Ryan Kesler 

04: Cory Schneider

05: Luc Bourdon

06: Michael Grabner 

07: Patrick White

08: Cody Hodgson

09: Jordan Schroeder

10: n/a

11: Nicklas Jensen

12: Brendan Gaunce

of the 11 drafted players, 7 drafted players have played over 100 hundred games and had decent* careers. I don’t want to discredit Benning because he and his team have done an amazing job drafting and building this prospect pool however to AJs point, we’ve consistently been picking at the top which inevitably means we can expect that pick to make the jump in 1-2 years. Hence why we have a significant amount of 1st round picks in our lineup.

• Haha 1

I have to assume Juolevi only got in because Fantenberg really was hurt, and that he'll be coming out again once Fantenberg is fit to play.  But it was really great to see him in the lineup and I thought he was more than decent.  His ability to make good decisions and move the puck effectively more than makes up for his inexperience in the league.  Good positional awareness and did well on the pk also.  Wouldn't mind him staying in the lineup at all, but it's not going to happen.

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Horvat (9th)

Virtanen (6th)

Boeser (23rd)

Juolevi (5th)

Pettersson (5th)

Hughes (7th)

vs.

Gaunce (26th)

Jensen (29th)

Schroeder (22nd)

Hodgson (10th)

White (25th) 

Grabner (14th)

Horvat was a Gillis pick

20 hours ago, freshhprince95 said:

The Canucks first round picks from 2000 is as follows:

00: Nathan Smith

01: RJ Umberger

02: n/a

03: Ryan Kesler 

04: Cory Schneider

05: Luc Bourdon

06: Michael Grabner 

07: Patrick White

08: Cody Hodgson

09: Jordan Schroeder

10: n/a

11: Nicklas Jensen

12: Brendan Gaunce

of the 11 drafted players, 7 drafted players have played over 100 hundred games and had decent* careers. I don’t want to discredit Benning because he and his team have done an amazing job drafting and building this prospect pool however to AJs point, we’ve consistently been picking at the top which inevitably means we can expect that pick to make the jump in 1-2 years. Hence why we have a significant amount of 1st round picks in our lineup.

I am talking player that were drafted in top 7 Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi??? I am talking later, Boeser 23, Tryamkin 66,  McCann 24, Demko 35, Forsling 126, Gaudette 149. Briesbois66,  Rathbone 95, Lind 33, Dipietro 64, Woo 37, Madden 68,Lockwood 64, Gadjovich, these are just guys from 2014 to 2018  so 5 years??still very young and will play in NHL...The 2019 drat at least 3 guys and there only 19 now..

Come on Benning and group have done a great job, Not even going to mention 2019 draft

Edited by wildcam

8 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Horvat was a Gillis pick

Come on Boeser 23, McCann 24, Demko 35, Gaudette 148, Briesbois 66, Rathbone 95, Madden 68, Woo 37, Tryamkin 66, Forsling 136, Lockwood 64,Lind 21, Gadjovich,  there are more but there only 20 - 21 so still early, Benning and group have done great...Some year no players played a NHL game in a draft year...Look between 2000 - 2013? No excuses you should have 2 or 3 players from a draft year?? Go look zero in some of the canucks draft years?

2000 = zero

2002 = zero 

2007 = Zero

2009 = Zero

2011 = Zero - one guy played 76 games

2013 = 1 player

Poor poor drafting go to draft data base....

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I hope Joulevi plays.  

He has a history of playing well in big games

I think he will play. I know we have more seasoned options but I don't believe the big stage is a problem for him. Like you say - he has been in big championship games and I feel like all the crap he has had to deal with to get to this point has made him stronger than most would expect by his age and games played. The only thing is whether he is the more skilled 6th D.

I believe he is.