The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

It might be better to bring Juolevi up and rotate him in and out with Benn and keep him to bottom pairing minutes. I think he has enough experience but going back to the AHL playing 25 minutes and killing penalites, blocking shots, might not be the best when his health is his biggest downfall. 

I like Rafferty but we are still missing one more option on the right side. Hainsey, Ruuta, Green could be cheap veteran options. Vatanen or Hamonic would be idea but we don't have the space. 

If I were to pick a guy Vatanen would be my first choice or move Sutter for Colin Miller if possible. 

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Futures exciting with D man coming up, Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty and Briesbois....Rathbone will also turn heads very soon.

It seems that at one time Woo would have been included on the list you've got there. What has happened to him, why is he sort of out of the picture now?

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

It might be better to bring Juolevi up and rotate him in and out with Benn and keep him to bottom pairing minutes. I think he has enough experience but going back to the AHL playing 25 minutes and killing penalites, blocking shots, might not be the best when his health is his biggest downfall. 

I like Rafferty but we are still missing one more option on the right side. Hainsey, Ruuta, Green could be cheap veteran options. Vatanen or Hamonic would be idea but we don't have the space. 

If I were to pick a guy Vatanen would be my first choice or move Sutter for Colin Miller if possible. 

I think our bottom pairing is likely Benn and Juolevi with Rafferty as the #7, unless the Canucks feel Utica badly needs Rafferty.

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think our bottom pairing is likely Benn and Juolevi with Rafferty as the #7, unless the Canucks feel Utica badly needs Rafferty.

For sure, I could see that. The only hesitation is bringing in two dmen at the same time without any experience. Also if the AHL doesn't pick-up again I wonder what happens? I could see us picking up a cheap option and then bringing Rafferty in when an injury hits. Ideally he plays less than 40 games so he is protected at the draft lottery. 

31 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

For sure, I could see that. The only hesitation is bringing in two dmen at the same time without any experience. Also if the AHL doesn't pick-up again I wonder what happens? I could see us picking up a cheap option and then bringing Rafferty in when an injury hits. Ideally he plays less than 40 games so he is protected at the draft lottery. 

Yeah, I think it's fairly unlikely that Rafferty is a regular on the team, though I suppose injuries are likely to happen. It is definitely risky, given that Juolevi's entire NHL experience is one playoff game and Rafferty's is two regular season games a year ago.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:32 AM, Fred65 said:

I read this recent artical which mad some good comments

At even strength, Cull and his coaching staff often had Juolevi deployed alongside Ashton Sautner, one of the Comets’ most reliable and rugged blue-liners, facing down the opposition’s top forwards.

My question is why did we draft this kid

From all accounts, Juolevi has improved tremendously. His poor skating was him returning recently from injury. He showcased himself quite well for one game in the playoffs (about 6 minutes or so, so very limited time). Now that he has a full amount of time for recovery, we can really see what Juolevi can really do.

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

From all accounts, Juolevi has improved tremendously. His poor skating was him returning recently from injury. He showcased himself quite well for one game in the playoffs (about 6 minutes or so, so very limited time). Now that he has a full amount of time for recovery, we can really see what Juolevi can really do.

When he was drafted I recall one of the Hunter brother stated he should make a second pairing D. Kind of pricks your ears up. A  5th O/A pick should make a second line pairing. I know about his injuries, fans remind us continually but I tend to give more weight to his junior coach than the fans. I hope for the best but IMO it's not guranteed

Just now, Fred65 said:

When he was drafted I recall one of the Hunter brother stated he should make a second pairing D. Kind of pricks your ears up. A  5th O/A pick should make a second line pairing. I know about his injuries, fans remind us continually but I tend to give more weight to his junior coach than the fans. I hope for the best but IMO it's not guranteed

Not guaranteed, no, but Juolevi has always been highly touted. All this talk about him being a 'bust' was premature. He's only 22, and unless he continues to have injuries, he can still play at a very high level.

Edited by Dazzle

7 hours ago, wildcam said:

Great post he was ranked best D man of that draft ? He has had bad luck back issues training at 19, then Knee injury that happened t 20 years old in October after 17 games.. Comes Back at age 21 knee issues at start of season and then he was fine..Mini training camp in July he was very good made the team for playoffs and coach was impressed...I still see a #4 D man only 22 years old 6'2 great vision with bright future..Next season whenever it starts he will be #6 guy and move up with confidence now.... Futures exciting with D man coming up, Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty and Briesbois....Rathbone will also turn heads very soon....

As I recall, he was considered the best 2 way dman in the draft, but not the one with the highest ceiling. He was always considered the safest pick to play 15 years in the league by many.

Injuries are unfortunate.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, wloutet said:

It seems that at one time Woo would have been included on the list you've got there. What has happened to him, why is he sort of out of the picture now?

Woo had a really underwhelming 2019-20 season with Calgary. I think most would've expected a 19-year old (his age during the season) like him to rip it up in juniors and although he was good, he was actually better in 2018-19. He's not out of the picture, but if he doesn't take a big step forward next year with either a very strong year in juniors or a decent stint with Utica (assuming the AHL has a season), I think he's going to start falling off the radar.

• Wat 1

Greener was pretty happy with his camp and even gave him his first NHL game in the playoffs.

Granted can't expect a coach to play a rookie much given the circumstances.

Nevertheless Greener wouldn't of said those things and given OJ that game if he didn't like him.

Hoping all this time off really helps OJ and Boeser for that matter too if his past injuries nagged on him.

• Cheers 1

As mentioned, during the draft I'm pretty sure Benning mentioned he didn't see a clear cut #1 d man in this draft but saw some with top pair potential.

I could be wrong, but Juolevi was considered the safe pick to be a 2/3 dman for a long time.

He's still one of my favourite prospects and I hope he stays healthy and can push his potential.

• Cheers 2