The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:40 PM, Dazzle said:

Well, as of right now, Tkachuk is clearly the better pick. And I say this being a fan of Juolevi. It's probable that someone of his calibre will be MORE VALUABLE down the road. There will always be a talented winger, but talented defensemen are perceived to be harder to find.

It sucks that Juo has been injured so much, otherwise this pick wouldn't have had as many question marks as it does now. I'm hopeful though that he can prove naysayers wrong.

I agree. Always go for talent and consensus was Tkachuk was the #3 even the #2 guy for most of the season and he fell on our laps. We needed a Dman, yes, but we also needed an uber pest that can put the puck in the net. Would anybody oppose to having a first line of Boeser, Pettersson Tkachuk? Thats westcoast express 2.0 right there

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 6:30 PM, GoldenAlien said:

From what I remember Dale Hunter was quite complementary about Juolevi.  From after the draft:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/hes-a-winner/c-888591

Some highlights:

“He is a puck moving defenceman and that is what everybody is looking for,” said Hunter. “He has a good transition game and breaks out of his own zone cleanly. He is a great passer and there is no fear to his game. He is one of those defenceman that forwards love to have back there passing them the puck.”

“He’s a winner. He wants to win,” said Hunter. “One thing I like about him is that during the Memorial Cup it was a 1-1 game and he goes out and blocks a big shot. He went down on one knee, had perfect timing and made a heck of a block. That’s what you like and that’s why coaches like these type of players. He moves the puck well and all that, but at the same time he will block a shot and save you a goal.”

“He is a great team guy,” said Hunter. “The players on the team all love him. Vancouver has a player that will be around for a long time.”

Anyhow, I don't think "second pairing" should automatically raise alarm. There were nine defensemen drafted at #5 from 1996 to 2016:

1996 - Richard Jackman: 231 GP, 77pts

1997 - Eric Brewer: 1009 GP, 271 pts

1998 - Vitaly Vishnevsky: 552 GP, 68 pts

2002 - Ryan Whitney: 481 GP, 259 pts

2007 - Karl Alzner: 686 GP, 130 pts

2008 - Luke Schenn: 759 GP, 148 pts

2012 - Morgan Reilly: 517 GP, 270 pts

2015 - Noah Hanifin: 389 GP, 138 pts

2016 - Olli Juolevi

Since 2016, one defenseman was picked at #5, which was Jake Sanderson this year. The only defenseman out of the previous nine who's clearly a top pairing guy is Reilly -- and he mostly likely wouldn't have been available at #5 had he not missed most of his draft year with a torn ACL. Most others are solid second pairing guys. There are only 62 top pairing defensemen in the league, and a good chunk of those 62 are second pairing guys playing top pairing minutes because their teams don't have anyone better. The vast majority of defensive prospects, regardless of their draft position, don't turn out to be franchise cornerstones. We got lucky with Pettersson and Hughes. Draft picks in the #5-7 range don't routinely become superstars. If Juolevi becomes a second pairing D who plays 10 years, there is absolutely nothing disappointing about that.

If OJ makes this team and even becomes our Troy Stetcher, mobile, decent in the Dzone, will give you a handful of really good games, thats already a win. I think his passing will translate well on this team. The few showings Ive seen of OJ in Utica, he can make some passes that are just WOW, tape to tape lasers. He doesn't necessarily have to skate his way out of the zone with flash like Quinn but if he can move the puck efficiently, that will be just as good

• Like 1

13 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

If OJ makes this team and even becomes our Troy Stetcher, mobile, decent in the Dzone, will give you a handful of really good games, thats already a win. I think his passing will translate well on this team. The few showings Ive seen of OJ in Utica, he can make some passes that are just WOW, tape to tape lasers. He doesn't necessarily have to skate his way out of the zone with flash like Quinn but if he can move the puck efficiently, that will be just as good

I've seen a bit of his highlights and footage too. Juolevi's game is the crisp passing and solid outlet exits. He's not the type to 'wow' like Quinn Hughes does, but he's low key and he likes it that way. Also has a deceptively good shot too. Once Juolevi comes around, a lot of Canuck fans will like him A LOT.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I've seen a bit of his highlights and footage too. Juolevi's game is the crisp passing and solid outlet exits. He's not the type to 'wow' like Quinn Hughes does, but he's low key and he likes it that way. Also has a deceptively good shot too. Once Juolevi comes around, a lot of Canuck fans will like him A LOT.

He reminds me a lot of Mattias Ohlund, in his demeanor, physical stature and play.  I will be more than happy if he can go on to establish a place for himself on this team that parallels Ohlund's in any way.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Dazzle said:

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

His passing just comes from his high end IQ. Heads up player that processes the play quickly when he has a chance to move the puck. 

I agree his shot is good too. I remember he showed signs of his great wrist shot during the playoffs his D+1 year in London. He has an ability to get it through which is half the battle, but the shot itself is above average. Hopefully at some point he gets a chance to play on the 2nd PP.

The biggest question is mobility. His mobility looks like its improved after the injuries & if that's the case he should be a good 3rd pair guy from the jump - then its only upside from there. 

He's got Finnish.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

His passing just comes from his high end IQ. Heads up player that processes the play quickly when he has a chance to move the puck. 

I agree his shot is good too. I remember he showed signs of his great wrist shot during the playoffs his D+1 year in London. He has an ability to get it through which is half the battle, but the shot itself is above average. Hopefully at some point he gets a chance to play on the 2nd PP.

The biggest question is mobility. His mobility looks like its improved after the injuries & if that's the case he should be a good 3rd pair guy from the jump - then its only upside from there. 

If OJ can be consistent with his passes out of a zone, regardless of his skating, he'll be fine, the skating can come later on. Its amazing how teams just look like they are playing faster when pucks are out of the zone, tape to tape to a streaking winger. Hopefully OJ can do that. Maybe perhaps all this Hoglander hype will let OJ just ease into his role in the lineup

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

If OJ can be consistent with his passes out of a zone, regardless of his skating, he'll be fine, the skating can come later on. Its amazing how teams just look like they are playing faster when pucks are out of the zone, tape to tape to a streaking winger. Hopefully OJ can do that. Maybe perhaps all this Hoglander hype will let OJ just ease into his role in the lineup

Juolevi will be paired with a good veteran so pressure will be less..I imagine he will have Myers as his D partner..

Hamonic - Hughes -- Will be other D men rotating depending on the team there playing and Myers some nights..

Edler - Schmidt....

Far, far easier to 'ease' into the lineup as a winger than a defenseman at the NHL level.  

His skating is way better than average. 

55 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:
10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

His skating is way better than average. 

I think the second quote has to do with Holander, it can't be about OJ.

How many games can they afford to lose? OJ is just too slow and can't turn and no mean streak.

Holander is a distraction for the masses. Looking at him they are not thinking about OJ.

Holander looks really good out there, he should he is in game shape but lets wait a couple of weeks when the rest catch up, hopefully he carries on showing up most of the forwards.

So the media and team are "look at Holander" without a peep about OJ

Edited by Lazurus
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 5

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

How many games can they afford to lose? OJ is just too slow and can't turn and no mean streak.

Holander is a distraction for the masses. Looking at him they are not thinking about OJ.

Holander looks really good out there, he should he is in game shape but lets wait a couple of weeks when the rest catch up, hopefully he carries on showing up most of the forwards.

So the media and team are "look at Holander" without a peep about OJ

First of all, learn how to spell our players names. It's Hoglander. Secondly, OJ is an elite, smooth skating defenceman. Not sure what you're talking about. Hoglander has shown he's worthy of being on the team, and I want him to have that opportunity. But so has Olli, just in a quieter kind of way. Doesn't mean he's not worthy. 

• Cheers 4

14 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

First of all, learn how to spell our players names. It's Hoglander. Secondly, OJ is an elite, smooth skating defenceman. Not sure what you're talking about. Hoglander has shown he's worthy of being on the team, and I want him to have that opportunity. But so has Olli, just in a quieter kind of way. Doesn't mean he's not worthy. 

Okay I just copied the previous posters spelling

You don't remember the shortened season, when it restarted the AHL players were dominating for the first week or so because they had been playing games. I just posted "we'll see" in a couple of weeks.

What on earth are you talking about his skating being great, that has been one of the biggest negatives for 3 or 4 years now, they kept blaming it on bad feet, knees, back, illness

I hope the media, coach, fans and Benning give the exact same scrutiny with the exact same type of comments to Juloevi that they do Virtanen

43 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I hope the media, coach, fans and Benning give the exact same scrutiny with the exact same type of comments to Juloevi that they do Virtanen

Juolevi can't control whether he gets injured or not. Virtanen can control how hard he chooses to try. There's a big difference in how the two are perceived...

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Juolevi can't control whether he gets injured or not. Virtanen can control how hard he chooses to try. There's a big difference in how the two are perceived...

May 31, 2014 - Bit of a question mark over Jake Virtanen's head with the shoulder injury he is recovering from. Supposed to be 4-6 months (look at the date, drafted anyway)

Dec 02, 2015 - Upper body injury, injured reserve (shoulder)

Sept 2016 - Virtanen out 4-6 months after shoulder surgery

Mar 09, 2019 - (fractured ribs).

Feb 14, 2019 - Upper body injury, day-to-day.

There are others injuries as well

No break on 3 years of shoulder problems and recovery time

I wonder if anyone remembers Stojanov or Antoski? Shoulder injuries finished their careers, pretty much ended their hitting.

And for 4 years a lack of hitting was putting Jake in the doghouse with the media, fans and this team, but then this group couldn't understand why Ferland could not be insured for concussions either

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

Okay I just copied the previous posters spelling

You don't remember the shortened season, when it restarted the AHL players were dominating for the first week or so because they had been playing games. I just posted "we'll see" in a couple of weeks.

What on earth are you talking about his skating being great, that has been one of the biggest negatives for 3 or 4 years now, they kept blaming it on bad feet, knees, back, illness

Why would you want everyone to scrutinize Oj the way they have with Jake? Seems like a pretty bizarre thing for a fan of this team to wish on a player. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Why would you want everyone to scrutinize Oj the way they have with Jake? Seems like a pretty bizarre thing for a fan of this team to wish on a player. 

Not just OJ, the whole team and stafff but it would be a start.

Expectations put on Jake and a comparison, start with OJ, he was a higher draft pick This management group went off the board to take him instead of three other players that were soaring up the rankings AND the management group stated he was to be the one they were counting on.

And

Then let that expectation of competence spread to all aspects of the organization, so lets start expecting that kind of performance from every one.