The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

54 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Olli made some mistakes but he was OK. As expected his mobility was not great. If teams start exploiting his lack of mobility then Rathbone or Rafferty may get a shot. 

You know optometry is an essential service right... someone should be able to see you and get you set up with a good set of much needed spectacles :P

15 minutes ago, CanucksForever2 said:

Was that even a rookie mistake? It looked like he was tripped...

Exactly.

Green even mentioned this in his post-game.  He acknowledged that it wasn't a mistake as much as it should've been a penalty on the play.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 1/10/2021 at 10:23 AM, Phat Fingers said:

So, I have been gone for while, was basically crippled for the last year, wife left me, almost died, still here, a very expensive medicine has saved me from being crippled for the rest of my life, so am healthy, happy now that the wife is gone and more alive than ever.  

come here to see how OJ and co are doing and I see Fred and the same yahoo’s saying the same things they were two years ago...

hilarious.  

same old cdc.. don’t stop being crazy, cause I won’t either.  

phats.  

Sorry about your bad year, but happy you are healthy now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

You know optometry is an essential service right... someone should be able to see you and get you set up with a good set of much needed spectacles :P

You could also adjust your homer glasses to see that mobility is not at the top of OJ’s skill set. :P Smart, skilled absolutely, but his movement is not at par with his other tools. It’s improved this year for sure and I’m sure it will improve more now that he is (fingers crossed) past his run of injuries. Anyway, I’ve never had any issues with pointing out flaws, where they exist, in a home team player...yet still go to bed every night wearing my Canuck pajamas. Got a Canucks COVID mask too. :canucks:

Another opportunity for growth and improvement for OJ tonight. :towel:

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

You could also adjust your homer glasses to see that mobility is not at the top of OJ’s skill set. :P Smart, skilled absolutely, but his movement is not at par with his other tools. It’s improved this year for sure and I’m sure it will improve more now that he is (fingers crossed) past his run of injuries. Anyway, I’ve never had any issues with pointing out flaws, where they exist, in a home team player...yet still go to bed every night wearing my Canuck pajamas. Got a Canucks COVID mask too. :canucks:

Another opportunity for growth and improvement for OJ tonight. :towel:

Actually pre-injuries, Olli was always considered a strong skater. Even stated on his elite prospect profile twice. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/196391/olli-juolevi.

Just because he doesn't skate like Quinn Hughes doesn't mean he's not a good skater. Does and will it still need improving, for sure, but his skating was in no way a hinderance in his first NHL game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Actually pre-injuries, Olli was always considered a strong skater. Even stated on his elite prospect profile twice. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/196391/olli-juolevi.

Just because he doesn't skate like Quinn Hughes doesn't mean he's not a good skater. Does and will it still need improving, for sure, but his skating was in no way a hinderance in his first NHL game.

Yeah, I still remember his silky smooth skating and dynamic passing with the gold medal winning Finns at the WJC. I had no issues where he was picked in the draft based on what I saw from that tournament alone. No doubt the injuries have had some impact. But I suspect that with him training with guys like Petey, Bo, Quinn his skating will only improve from here. I mean, look at Brock this year....being 100% healthy and he has another gear. Olli’s injuries, which piled up upon each other over several years, may take extra time to fully bounce back from. 

Olli will never come close to Hughes as a skater but he is a big body that will give him abilities, particularly on the PK, that Quinn won’t have because of his size.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Bet you are a hit with the women......

Like you are are hit on the comedy circuit? :lol:

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I very much enjoyed the Juolevi from the World Juniors, where he was the best D man. The opponents play would get swallowed up and turned up ice onto Laine's stick and then into the back of the opponents net.  It was kind of like he had a forcefield around him and the play would just get driven up ice.  I hope he does that again.

Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Exactly.

Green even mentioned this in his post-game.  He acknowledged that it wasn't a mistake as much as it should've been a penalty on the play.

This is what I saw, Myers put himself out of position to check KY but didn’t erase him so he comes up behind OJ hooks him so LD can strip him of the puck then trips OJ and moves uncontested in to slot with Myers scrambling back into position.

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yeah, I still remember his silky smooth skating and dynamic passing with the gold medal winning Finns at the WJC. I had no issues where he was picked in the draft based on what I saw from that tournament alone. No doubt the injuries have had some impact. But I suspect that with him training with guys like Petey, Bo, Quinn his skating will only improve from here. I mean, look at Brock this year....being 100% healthy and he has another gear. Olli’s injuries, which piled up upon each other over several years, may take extra time to fully bounce back from. 

Olli will never come close to Hughes as a skater but he is a big body that will give him abilities, particularly on the PK, that Quinn won’t have because of his size.

Like you are are hit on the comedy circuit? :lol:

To be fair, how many skaters will ever come close to Hughes' ability? lol

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The way he sees the game fits into todays NHL. He's trying those stretch passes,  makes pinches, stands up players on the blueline, is in position playing zone D like you would see from someone with a few years under his belt. Overall he's pretty poise almost like a young Tanev.

Just needs to get a faster with his timing, skating and better at defending the rush but most of that will come with experience. He hopefully could end up being that reliable top 4 D we will need when Edler is gone.

I liked the plays he was trying from the ozone blue line. Poise is a good description. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1