The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

If OJ can increase his speed he could be a real good defenseman.

He reads the play well and is smart so becoming even faster would amplify his toolset exponentially by being able to make smart/skilled plays faster.

One of his weaknesses is his rush D play but that's mostly because of his skating.

He still has good potential.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If OJ can increase his speed he could be a real good defenseman.

He reads the play well and is smart so becoming even faster would amplify his toolset exponentially by being able to make smart/skilled plays faster.

One of his weaknesses is his rush D play but that's mostly because of his skating.

He still has good potential.

I always liked this pick. Too bad for his injuries because he could have been on the team full time much earlier than this.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

After a shaky first game of the season, Juolevi has gotten better and better every game. If he keeps this up it's safe to say we won the pick - we've got our future Edler right here. He skates quite smoothly with the puck, doesn't hold on to it for too long ala Hughes and is learning how to use his big frame to win puck battles. Nothing but impressed by Juolevi, I'm surprised he's been on the PK so much but if he can really get used to killing penalties then we'll have a real stud on our hands next season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

After a shaky first game of the season, Juolevi has gotten better and better every game. If he keeps this up it's safe to say we won the pick - we've got our future Edler right here. He skates quite smoothly with the puck, doesn't hold on to it for too long ala Hughes and is learning how to use his big frame to win puck battles. Nothing but impressed by Juolevi, I'm surprised he's been on the PK so much but if he can really get used to killing penalties then we'll have a real stud on our hands next season. 

I like what i see from OJ. I doubted him alot after his lengthy road to the nhl. Won the pick is still a little much for me though.

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I like what i see from OJ. I doubted him alot after his lengthy road to the nhl. Won the pick is still a little much for me though.

I think OJ was picked based on a positional need and an NHL floor.  If he replaces Edler in the long run it’s a good pick, honestly though he looks more like an Edler-Tanev hybrid.  He’s got the body and tools to be an all rounder like Edler with more mobility and better raw skills.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I think OJ was picked based on a positional need and an NHL floor.  If he replaces Edler in the long run it’s a good pick, honestly though he looks more like an Edler-Tanev hybrid.  He’s got the body and tools to be an all rounder like Edler with more mobility and better raw skills.

Agreed.  I think he will end up as a second pair d.  He has been good so far this year, and will keep getting better as he gets more confidence.  Not too worried about who we could have had at this point, if Juolevi turns into a steady top 4 D, we can be happy with that.  Not all top 10 picks become superstars.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Been on this board for a long time but was always so lazy to make an account, so I might as well devote my first reply to a Olli Juolevi post! In all honesty, I loved him when he played with London and I think that injuries certainly hurt his development. He's been looking better each and every game, and I really feel like all he needs is more time to develop and work on his weaknesses. Excited to see him play more and I really hope Green continues to up his ice time in the future. While I don't think he's going to be a dman who nets us 40+ points a year, I think he'll be an integral part to a future championship run for sure. 

And for your first post, I’ve given you your first rep! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The irony of his first goal coming off a slap shot is that in his scouting report, that was one of his weaknesses haha.

Happy for Olli, I can see the confidence in his game building.

Although not known for a rocket of a slap shot, I thought he was known for being very accurate and getting it on net. Can't remember where I read that. 

• Cheers 1

I like Olli Juolevi. Hardworking, humbleness, team player and good characters go a long way. This is what I see in him that's greater than other picks after him. It's debatable what you prefer to have in a player that helps you win, but I'm happy to have a player like OJ. We have other players can fill in the other traits. 

On top of that I think he has the skill and smartness to grow into a reliable top 4D.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1