The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think Boeser, Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, and Stecher might give Benning some time in the organization. Of course Granlund, Sutter, and Gudbranson could still turn out well for the team.

Virtanen wasn't exactly Benning's fault since he was the consensus #6

Though I think ultimately the progression of Juolevi will finally decide Benning's fate, he had Tkachuk fallen under his lap and went the unconventional way picking Juolevi. So if Juolevi becomes a disappointment and Tkachuk continues to build from his rookie season then Benning is in trouble.

It's amazing though that Benning hasn't called up Jordan Subban or Cole Cassels yet though. Subban could help in the PP and Cassels has shown how good he is shutting down McDavid in the Juniors. 

No and no.  There was a top-5 in the 2014 draft, and Subban and Cassels are not NHL-ready yet.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I can see Juolevi being a similar player to Karlsson, with a little less offense, but similar style and on ice personality.  Whether he reaches that level or not is up to him.  I'll take that over Tkachuk every time, and i like Tkachuk.

Karlsson is a pretty special player.

No doubt in my mind that Hunter played Joulevi as his best defensive d-man on a pretty young roster. The fact that London returned to the OHL playoffs after the number of high end graduates they had was impressive. Hunter is a NHL quality coach who walked away from the Capitals. If he saw the team need of having Joulevi as his d-zone rock then I consider Joulevi's season a great success. The interesting transition will be next season with a high level of returning players who have greater experience. Does that mean Hunter rethinks how Joulevi is deployed?  If he has a higher octane offense does Joulevi get the nod to participate at a greater level? I have to think so. I expect London will be in the hunt for a Memorial Cup next year and that Joulevi will be there. I see limited value for him in Vancouver.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

No doubt in my mind that Hunter played Joulevi as his best defensive d-man on a pretty young roster. The fact that London returned to the OHL playoffs after the number of high end graduates they had was impressive. Hunter is a NHL quality coach who walked away from the Capitals. If he saw the team need of having Joulevi as his d-zone rock then I consider Joulevi's season a great success. The interesting transition will be next season with a high level of returning players who have greater experience. Does that mean Hunter rethinks how Joulevi is deployed?  If he has a higher octane offense does Joulevi get the nod to participate at a greater level? I have to think so. I expect London will be in the hunt for a Memorial Cup next year and that Joulevi will be there. I see limited value for him in Vancouver.

I don't see Juolevi in Vancouver next year, apart from pre-season and maybe a game or two in the reg season.  There is absolutely no need to rush him into the NHL.......I certainly think it wasn't good for Chycrun.  One need only look at the perils of bringing Ekblad in before he should have been........I'd hate to see Ollie getting pummled on a nightly basis.

Though I think OJ could reach near karlsson levels, I certainly don't expect that.  he is, however, of a similar mold

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 3

On 4/24/2017 at 11:19 AM, stawns said:

I don't see Juolevi in Vancouver next year, apart from pre-season and maybe a game or two in the reg season.  There is absolutely no need to rush him into the NHL.......I certainly think it wasn't good for Chycrun.  One need only look at the perils of bringing Ekblad in before he should have been........I'd hate to see Ollie getting pummled on a nightly basis.

Though I think OJ could reach near karlsson levels, I certainly don't expect that.  he is, however, of a similar mold

This will take time. Every one seems to expect instant. It's not a video game. I still think this was a great choice for Vancouver. Patience, it's a rebuild.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Hope Salo stays healthy this summer so he can teach Juolevi how to blast the puck from the point :P.  Good choice by Juolevi.  Salo always seemed like he would be a great mentor.

Nice joke about Salo's health. This is good news. From what I have seen of Juolevi, he really should work on his shot. Part of it is just getting stronger, which I am sure he is working on. But technique and practice also matter. And it is not just the shot itself that matters, but the ability to get it through to the net -- moving around to create a shooting lane, knowing when to shoot, etc. Juolevi would certainly be a lot more dangerous on the PP if he had a shot like Salo. Realistically, I am not expecting his to reach Salo's level but he certainly could improve quite a lot. So its great that he is taking it seriously.

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2017 at 10:05 AM, Boudrias said:

Hunter is indeed an experienced coach who could easily be in the NHL right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean that developing OJ for the NHL is his primary objective for this player.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything funny going on with OJ's development.  Dozens of very high-end prospects have come out of London and done well in the NHL so in the long-term I'm completely satisfied that OJ is in the right place.  But realistically, if it serves OJ's long-term development to be running the PP and getting other sorts of looks during games - but this doesn't coincide with Hunter's own plan for his overall team development in London - then I don't doubt for a second Hunter would put his team needs ahead of a single player's needs if you understand what I'm saying. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Nice joke about Salo's health. This is good news. From what I have seen of Juolevi, he really should work on his shot. Part of it is just getting stronger, which I am sure he is working on. But technique and practice also matter. And it is not just the shot itself that matters, but the ability to get it through to the net -- moving around to create a shooting lane, knowing when to shoot, etc. Juolevi would certainly be a lot more dangerous on the PP if he had a shot like Salo. Realistically, I am not expecting his to reach Salo's level but he certainly could improve quite a lot. So its great that he is taking it seriously.

I don't agree that his "shot" is an issue, as Juolevi has a fantastic wrist shot, which we have seen many times as he snipes the corners coming off the blueline, but I agree with everything else you have said. He really needs to work on two things if he wants to get to that next level offensively: (1) opening up lanes to create opportunities for himself to get the puck to the net - just as you have stated; and (2) making quick, hard one-timers from the point that keep teams guessing what his actions will be offensively. He already has great vision and a hard accurate pass that he can pull off without labelling, but if he can get a trio of a deadly wrist shot, dynamic passing and a fierce one-timer, then he will be one heck of a player for us. One thing that is hindering his ability to do one-times is that he is typically used on the left side of the powerplay, which is difficult to create the right angles to do so, but if he was able to "roam" a little more in the offensive zone and switch sides every now and then, it will work to his advantage.

• Upvote 2

On 4/24/2017 at 4:12 AM, iinatcc said:

It's amazing though that Benning hasn't called up Jordan Subban or Cole Cassels yet though. Subban could help in the PP and Cassels has shown how good he is shutting down McDavid in the Juniors. 

If you watched them in Utica, you'd understand. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Hunter is indeed an experienced coach who could easily be in the NHL right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean that developing OJ for the NHL is his primary objective for this player.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything funny going on with OJ's development.  Dozens of very high-end prospects have come out of London and done well in the NHL so in the long-term I'm completely satisfied that OJ is in the right place.  But realistically, if it serves OJ's long-term development to be running the PP and getting other sorts of looks during games - but this doesn't coincide with Hunter's own plan for his overall team development in London - then I don't doubt for a second Hunter would put his team needs ahead of a single player's needs if you understand what I'm saying. 

Good points.

My take on Joulevi's development is that in his 2 years in London he has had two very different teams to play on. 2 years ago London had high end offense and Joulevi played more of that game. This past year less offense so Hunter focused him into a more d-side role. IMHO this is a huge benefit for Joulevi's development. I agree with your point about Hunter's team approach but in essence is that not what it is all about. Hunter is maximizing Joulevi's abilities to benefit the Knights. It is no dif than what he will experience in the NHL. The Knight's young forwards gained a lot of experience this past season which should carry them into the Memorial Cup again next year. I am hoping Joulevi will be a part of that. It is not that I think he needs another Memorial Cup just that the process will refine his approach to the game and better prepare him for the NHL.

Another year in London will let Joulevi fill out more. If nothing else the current Stanley Cup is showing how physicality is at a premium in CUP play. Building a competitive team for regular season is simply to get to playoffs. The Canuck time line gives Benning the option of being patient with OJ. The outcome might be that he can leave junior and move to the NHL without much AHL time. 

• Upvote 3

On 2017-04-22 at 8:06 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Your right, but I notice a lot of the best players in the league are cocky ect. Nylander was the best player on the board at 6th by far and we passed. I know Ehlers was a good prospect as well but was much riskier then Nylander with the size concerns. 

Jake was picked for need, not best player available.   We weren't rebuilding when he was picked, we were making the playoffs.   It was a risk to take a power forward.  Most of those players end up on the 3rd or 4th line, so that's what it looks we have.

Edited by canucksnihilist

No need to rush him, I'd like to see him developed properly.  Junior?  Sure another year if that's the best place for him.   Is he AHL eligible next year?  That might be better?

Real concern?  I'm  worried he will be rushed in order to show progress and sell tickets....  we don't have a great track record in this regard, and our GMs always seem to need to show this progress in concern for their jobs.   Hope that has changed with the rebuild admission... we will see!!!  I am skeptical and expect him to make the team next year and have a trial by fire.  Hopefully Green can shield his minutes and help him - he is a first year contract coach so that is a good contributing factor...

On 2017-4-24 at 8:43 AM, Hutton Wink said:

No and no.  There was a top-5 in the 2014 draft, and Subban and Cassels are not NHL-ready yet.

Pretty sure he was consensus.  Let's put revisionist history aside and recognise that he was behind consensus top 5 pick Michael Dal Colle.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:33 AM, canucksnihilist said:

Jake was picked for need, not best player available.   We weren't rebuilding when he was picked, we were making the playoffs.   It was a risk to take a power forward.  Most of those players end up on the 3rd or 4th line, so that's what it looks we have.

There was a tier of similar players after the top 5 and Jake would have been right at that next pick of BPA according to Bob McKenzie, who surveys multiple scouts to make a "consensus" list. I would argue that McKenzie's list would be the true BPA as he does survey multiple scouts and ranks accordingly. Therefore, according to McKenzie Virtanen was the "consensus" seventh best player of that draft.

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Bennett

4. Draisaitl

5. Dal Colle

6. Ritchie

7. Virtanen

8. Fleury

9. Nylander

10. Ehlers

11. Kapanen

12. Larkin

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

In regards to Juolevi, I'm glad he will be working out here in Vancouver with their trainers. Judging by his comments, he'll be here just for a little while before going back to Finland. At least he'll get specific direction on workout and nutrition. Also a bonus getting coached and mentored by Sami Salo! Salo was probably the most underrated defenseman of the Sedin era... he was rock-solid defensively, could move the puck up with simple passes, and had enough offensive prowess to be out there on the powerplay and fire his cannon of a shot. Hopefully Juolevi can learn not just how to shoot better and harder but also insight on what it takes to be a pro and how to handle the position and physicality of the game.

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 4