Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Assuming we lose Sbisa to LVK.... our depth is:

Edler / Tanev

Hutton / Gudbranson

Holm / Stecher

Pedan / McEneny

Juolevi / Subban

Juolevi has to beat out Holm for a 3rd pairing spot and they both play a similar game, but Holm at 25 years old should be able to win the spot...we don't keep him up to be the 7th defenseman and Pedan should be that guy anyway for some toughness when needed.

If we trade another D. then maybe he makes it....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

10 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I'd say there's very little chance Juolevi isn't on the team after this upcoming season. All he needs to do is get stronger and faster. One more season and off season of training should easily do that if he doesn't make the team this year.

I think he will end up a rich mans version of Matta. Not bad at all. 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Olli is on our team this season.  He will likely play in the third pair with Gudbranson.  He might even sit out some games and and train to get heavier.  I see him with us and playing around 60.  

If we trade Tanev and lose Sbisa he will probably play, if he's 10 pounds heavier by training camp. If we keep Tanev and Sbisa I think it's one more year in London. 

Better to let him grow as either final OHL year or AHL (assuming Canucks hire a strong development coaching/staff) and instead for a 6th or 7th sign a rental UFA as there are lots of serviceable options - even a Y Weber type is in the SCF.    Dmen, goalies and power forwards all take more time than other players and though each has their own timetable for development, meaning exceptions happen, the more patience you show these types of players usually leads to higher ceilings and more consistently productive careers.   

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Better to let him grow as either final OHL year or AHL (assuming Canucks hire a strong development coaching/staff) and instead for a 6th or 7th sign a rental UFA as there are lots of serviceable options - even a Y Weber type is in the SCF.    Dmen, goalies and power forwards all take more time than other players and though each has their own timetable for development, meaning exceptions happen, the more patience you show these types of players usually leads to higher ceilings and more consistently productive careers.   

Thanks but I'll let benning green and linden be the judge of that.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Thanks but I'll let benning green and linden be the judge of that.

Uh, as would I given they are the coaching/management group for this team.   I offered what I would do as I thought giving my opinion, which I know, versus their opinion, which I don't, made more sense in a discussion forum.    What they think will be what happens - on that we agree.   

Curious how you got to over 12,000 posts if you don't offer up your opinion on matters and only leave all such to management (?).    Just pointing out that other opinions are of no value as management will make the decisions over 12,000 times?   

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, as would I given they are the coaching/management group for this team.   I offered what I would do as I thought giving my opinion, which I know, versus their opinion, which I don't, made more sense in a discussion forum.    What they think will be what happens - on that we agree.   

Curious how you got to over 12,000 posts if you don't offer up your opinion on matters and only leave all such to management (?).    Just pointing out that other opinions are of no value as management will make the decisions over 12,000 times?   

users forget how a forum is supposed to work all the time around here. Best to ignore it

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wshdrvvn said:

users forget how a forum is supposed to work all the time around here. Best to ignore it

Sounds good - was just surprised to see it from someone who must live on this site given post total.    

44 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh I offer my opinion plenty. However j don't pretend to know what's best for prospects like they're all the same. 

Sorry for singling you out, You're not the only one that does it, but it drives me nuts when people give opinions without the occasional "IMO" Or something similar. 

Goes a long way. 

Edited by 73 Percent

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Oh I offer my opinion plenty. However j don't pretend to know what's best for prospects like they're all the same. 

Sorry for singling you out, You're not the only one that does it, but it drives me nuts when people give opinions without the occasional "IMO" Or something similar. 

Goes a long way. 

I take it you didn't read the part of my note that was "THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS" when I noted that Dmen, Power Forwards and Goalies TYPICALLY take longer to develop.   

And I don't see need for IMO as why on earth would I purport to offer up the opinion of someone else unless, of course, I noted that being the case and then would need to offer up the quote.   I always assume what people say is their opinion unless otherwise noted.    

Insert other media

No need to apologize, just found it odd you wouldn't have assumed that it was simply an opinion and not management speaking and you did add clarity by tacitly acknowledging you didn't notice the "EXCEPTIONS EXIST" part of the post.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I take it you didn't read the part of my note that was "THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS" when I noted that Dmen, Power Forwards and Goalies TYPICALLY take longer to develop.   

And I don't see need for IMO as why on earth would I purport to offer up the opinion of someone else unless, of course, I noted that being the case and then would need to offer up the quote.   I always assume what people say is their opinion unless otherwise noted.    

Insert other media

No need to apologize, just found it odd you wouldn't have assumed that it was simply an opinion and not management speaking and you did add clarity by tacitly acknowledging you didn't notice the "EXCEPTIONS EXIST" part of the post.

Cheers

K man. 

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Goes a long way. 

I think when your on an online community forum opinions are implied unless there is a source. Its a community chat in which people voice opinions not just a news feed.

• Upvote 2

....IMO...I never understood this...if it was someone else's opinion then by all means let everyone know it's not your opinion...otherwise....everything we write is our opinion so why should we be stating that all the time

....I think it's because we used to say "I think" instead of IMO...of course that's just what I think....

Juolevi is still our player right?

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2017 at 11:04 PM, messier's_elbow said:

I think he will end up a rich mans version of Matta. Not bad at all. 

I kinda wonder what exactly a rich man's Maata would look like.

Is Maata the poor man's Juolevi?

If this is the way it works, how much better is Juolevi?

Like with forwards, I kinda expect 10-25 points less for "poor man's 'x'" than x on a regular basis. 

How much should Juolevi then score? How well should be defend?

I guess part of my thinking here is that the whole business of comparison is slightly malfunctional.

its hard to define someone in terms of an example. The problem seems to really take hold when the examples replace truth.

To be clear, I'm only using this comment as a launch pad for thought and discussion. 

dl;dr - why're we comparing players anyway? Seems dumb.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NameFaker said:

Like with forwards, I kinda expect 10-25 points less for "poor man's 'x'" than x on a regular basis. 

I guess part of my thinking here is that the whole business of comparison is slightly malfunctional.

its hard to define someone in terms of an example. The problem seems to really take hold when the examples replace truth.

To be clear, I'm only using this comment as a launch pad for thought and discussion. 

Don't be that guy...Mr. Party Pooper :P

• Upvote 2

On 6/11/2017 at 3:48 AM, NameFaker said:

Juolevi is more composed with the puck on his stick than Maatta and see the ice better. He really doesn't resemble Maatta very much. To me anyway. I think he plays the game more like Hampus Lindholm, though Lindholm isn't a Finn, admittedly.

I don't judge everything with points. If he plays good in his own end and has a good transition game getting the puck to our forwards then I will be happy. I won't really look at points until our team as a whole starts scoring in the top half of the league. He could be the perfect transitional/PMD but if the forwards can't finish then his point totals won't look great

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2017 at 7:51 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....IMO...I never understood this...if it was someone else's opinion then by all means let everyone know it's not your opinion...otherwise....everything we write is our opinion so why should we be stating that all the time

....I think it's because we used to say "I think" instead of IMO...of course that's just what I think....

Juolevi is still our player right?

OMG.....I like this post because I get called out sometimes when I post somebody else's opinion because I think it's interesting......even though I'm quoting somebody, they think I am all aboard with it even though I'm just trying to make an example.

Bottom line, if you're behind a point, spell it out.  If you're quoting an opinion to make an argument, say so.  People on CDC (and other boards) try to read between the lines and jump to conclusions.  Whatever goes into your post is 100% your own opinion unless you explicitly say otherwise.

Juolevi has not been traded at this point, yet :P