The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

I wonder why he had to pluralize the names of our prospects. There is only one Boeser, Goldobin, and Dahlen eager to show what they can do. 

He always does this. Very irritating 

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

I wonder why he had to pluralize the names of our prospects. There is only one Boeser, Goldobin, and Dahlen eager to show what they can do. 

Good point.  There should be more, but someone (not mentioning any names) traded away picks and prospects:(

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  There should be more, but someone (not mentioning any names) traded away picks and prospects:(

Perhaps BC boy Colton Dahlen is looking for a contract? At 24 he has some upside and had the highest GPG out of any of the 13-14 Nanaimo Clippers. Or Dan Boeser is going to make a return to professional hockey. At 36 he still might have some legs and provide some veteran leadership to our back end. He lead the University of Wisconsin dmen in scoring 03-04, a team that had successful NHL defenders like Ryan Suter and Tom Gilbert. I don't have much faith in 132lb Russian goaltender Sergey Goldobin with only one game in Russia's second division. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Perhaps BC boy Colton Dahlen is looking for a contract? At 24 he has some upside and had the highest GPG out of any of the 13-14 Nanaimo Clippers. Or Dan Boeser is going to make a return to professional hockey. At 36 he still might have some legs and provide some veteran leadership to our back end. He lead the University of Wisconsin dmen in scoring 03-04, a team that had successful NHL defenders like Ryan Suter and Tom Gilbert. I don't have much faith in 132lb Russian goaltender Sergey Goldobin with only one game in Russia's second division. 

All time classic HockeyDB fact checking response, with tongue firmly in cheek I might add. A perfect return of a big, fat, lazy serve. I applaud you sir! Thanks for making my afternoon!

• Upvote 1

Watching Juolevi's highlights from this year is very encouraging. The plays he makes like that slap pass or that cross ice pass on the pp in the zone are those very deceptive passes that should translate to NHL goals. I do think he'll be a very effective NHLer and am excited for his progress.

• Upvote 2

Who do you guys think would be the best chess pieces to have around Juolevi from the 2017 draft? I think Makar, Vilardi, and Mittelstadt would support his playstyle very well.

Makar is a right hand shot who could pair with Juolevi. His roving ability would go nice with Juolevi's calculated decisiveness. Both defensemen are good puckmovers, but Makar is more of a driver of offense, whereas Juolevi is a stalwart at defense, meaning they theoretically fit together quite well. In comparison, Heiskanen would probably play on a different pairing, as he also plays on the left side. 

Vilardi is a dangerous 2way center who uses his size to play a possession game. His ability to play on the left wall and cycle back to the defensemen, or power to the net, keeps the other team guessing, which could go great with Juolevi's puck support and sniping ability.

Mittelstadt could be deadly on the powerplay with Juolevi (and Makar), boasting good speed and creativity with the puck. In addition, his elite transition game would go well with Juolevi's puckmoving ability. However, his defense raises a lot of questions, and much of his points come on the powerplay, meaning he might not accentuate Juolevi's main strength--affecting all phases of the game, whether on the powerplay, even strength, or on the penalty kill.

I think it's important for us to build around some of the young players we already have, and there's no better cornerstone than last year's first round pick. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Who do you guys think would be the best chess pieces to have around Juolevi from the 2017 draft? I think Makar, Vilardi, and Mittelstadt would support his playstyle very well.

Makar is a right hand shot who could pair with Juolevi. His roving ability would go nice with Juolevi's calculated decisiveness. Both defensemen are good puckmovers, but Makar is more of a driver of offense, whereas Juolevi is a stalwart at defense, meaning they theoretically fit together quite well. In comparison, Heiskanen would probably play on a different pairing, as he also plays on the left side. 

Vilardi is a dangerous 2way center who uses his size to play a possession game. His ability to play on the left wall and cycle back to the defensemen, or power to the net, keeps the other team guessing, which could go great with Juolevi's puck support and sniping ability.

Mittelstadt could be deadly on the powerplay with Juolevi (and Makar), boasting good speed and creativity with the puck. In addition, his elite transition game would go well with Juolevi's puckmoving ability. However, his defense raises a lot of questions, and much of his points come on the powerplay, meaning he might not accentuate Juolevi's main strength--affecting all phases of the game, whether on the powerplay, even strength, or on the penalty kill.

I think it's important for us to build around some of the young players we already have, and there's no better cornerstone than last year's first round pick. 

Vancouver is desperate for a solid puck possession forward in the ozone. I like Vilardi's size and work ethic. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Vancouver is desperate for a solid puck possession forward in the ozone. I like Vilardi's size and work ethic. 

Yeah I hope Vilardi is still there at our pick. He kind of reminds me of Horvat, but shoots right instead of left. Their difference in handedness lends some strategic advantages as far as taking faceoffs, and we could put both guys out in any situation. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Yeah I hope Vilardi is still there at our pick. He kind of reminds me of Horvat, but shoots right instead of left. Their difference in handedness lends some strategic advantages as far as taking faceoffs, and we could put both guys out in any situation. 

Vancouver is desperate for size up front IMO. A potential Tanev deal does not look great prior to or during the Draft. Was hoping for a 3OA deal with Dallas. Not to say that it is not revived pending Dallas wanting to make a big move. Their CAP is a issue which might force them to deal. 

Benning left Sbisa exposed to the ED so I assume he ran his numbers and thinks Vegas will pick other d-men. If that pans out then Tanev could be traded yet. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Vancouver is desperate for size up front IMO. A potential Tanev deal does not look great prior to or during the Draft. Was hoping for a 3OA deal with Dallas. Not to say that it is not revived pending Dallas wanting to make a big move. Their CAP is a issue which might force them to deal. 

Benning left Sbisa exposed to the ED so I assume he ran his numbers and thinks Vegas will pick other d-men. If that pans out then Tanev could be traded yet. 

ya  i still thinka bunch of teams will be missing a top 4 dman tanevs value  will be pretty high as soon as the roster freeze and expansion draft is done

On 6/16/2017 at 6:37 PM, Salmonberries said:

Juolevi is more composed with the puck on his stick than Maatta and see the ice better. He really doesn't resemble Maatta very much. To me anyway. I think he plays the game more like Hampus Lindholm, though Lindholm isn't a Finn, admittedly.

I found some old video of Lumme in a Canuck uniform (a very ugly uniform) and he is VERY similar to OJ in how they look up the ice all the time and even the first push off move.   Lumme was a very good player I would think (I am a little young to know for sure) but it appears he had an excellent NHL career.   Not saying any bearing on OJ but the similarities when pointed out to me were remarkable.   Any of your older types remember Lumme and able to comment?

36 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I found some old video of Lumme in a Canuck uniform (a very ugly uniform) and he is VERY similar to OJ in how they look up the ice all the time and even the first push off move.   Lumme was a very good player I would think (I am a little young to know for sure) but it appears he had an excellent NHL career.   Not saying any bearing on OJ but the similarities when pointed out to me were remarkable.   Any of your older types remember Lumme and able to comment?

Not a bad comparison actually. and Finnish too ::D. He was a very heady, very mobile D albeit somewhat gaffe prone and susceptible to the yips at times. I would think Olli's ceiling to be higher than Lumme's personally, but stylistically I k\can see some similarities there for sure.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I certainly hope he is better than Lumme. Nothing against him but we have been really waiting a long time for a star back there.. 

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I can see that, although Joulevi looks much stronger and confident in his own zone, as well I think has a higher ceiling offensively.  Lumme was pretty poor defensively at times.  

• Upvote 1