The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

10 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

This scares me...20 pounds in a couple months? He's been hanging with Virtanen for sure

He probably was closer to 190 by the end of the season, so I don't think +10 lbs is all that much for a young guy in training.

6'3" 200 lbs and it's only July 1st. If there's a lot of fat in that weight he has a good two months to cut his body fat % down and get lean. He could surprise at camp and earn a #6 spot, but I wouldn't be upset if they sent him back for another year in London. We'll see how this summer and training camp plays out for him.

Edited by Blömqvist

I think Jim plans on letting his prospects gain confidence in every league before rushing them to the show just to appease fans. We've seen it destroy so many top prospects. Happened pretty recent with us in Virtanen and McCann whom both are struggling to get back on track. We have enough NHL ready blue liners that there really is no need to rush Juolevi! As of right now we have Tanev, Edler, Stetcher, Hutton, Gudbranson, MDZ, Weirchioch, Holm and Pedan. Then there's guys like McEneny and Subban in Utica. So let's give Juolevi another year or two to refine his skills and build some more confidence in his game.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think Jim plans on letting his prospects gain confidence in every league before rushing them to the show just to appease fans. We've seen it destroy so many top prospects. Happened pretty recent with us in Virtanen and McCann whom both are struggling to get back on track. We have enough NHL ready blue liners that there really is no need to rush Juolevi! As of right now we have Tanev, Edler, Stetcher, Hutton, Gudbranson, MDZ, Weirchioch, Holm and Pedan. Then there's guys like McEneny and Subban in Utica. So let's give Juolevi another year or two to refine his skills and build some more confidence in his game.

Agreed, unless Benning makes some trades I can see him sending Juolevi to Finland. Also think our guys like Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen, Dahlen should start their seasons in Utica. Give our kids some extra experience before rushing them into the show.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SuitnTie said:

Looks like he really wants to make the team, good for him. But I don't see how he fits into the lineup this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him play himself into lineup and allow Benning to move a veteran.   OJ is the real deal.

18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Man this might mean goodbye Hutton... September's going to be real interesting.

I cant see JB parting with Hutton personally. The future of our D is pretty bleak at this point however after next years draft things may change.

44 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I cant see JB parting with Hutton personally. The future of our D is pretty bleak at this point however after next years draft things may change.

I don't see Hutton as a long term fit personally. 

• Upvote 2