The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Counting down 'till Gaudette, T minus 5 months...

Which is why I don't think it makes sense to part with D depth in order to add a center.

We have Pettersson and Gaudette coming down the pipe, why give up valuable assets now?

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Makes sense. Not sure they're happy with Burmistrov as a regular center.

Adding someone like Reinhart would really fill out the depth.

Horvat 

Reinhart

Sedin

Sutter

Green said today that he has a good feel for what he has in most players.  I think he is still working on where  Burmistrov, Gagner and to a lesser extent Vanek fit into the system.  Green had a long 1 on 1 talk with Burmy at practice today per Patterson on twitter.

He's got a good match up line that is getting top 6 minutes but would Granlund make a better centre for the above line?  

In the short term, I don't think that Green will fool with his shut down line.

Benning knows that Hank is going to retire at some point and he needs a centre to fill his role.  I think that is why he signed Sutter in the first place and also why he has brought in Burmistrov and Gagner.  Waiting in the wings is also Gaudette (21), a Junior (3rd year) at Northeastern, who I would expect to take a shot at pro next year.  They really only need a place holder until Petterson is ready (if). 

So like you say, will they fill a temporary need from within or look elsewhere?  There are plenty of options

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which is why I don't think it makes sense to part with D depth in order to add a center.

We have Pettersson and Gaudette coming down the pipe, why give up valuable assets now?

'Zackly.  Time is on our side, we're in transition and development mode.  Moar are coming in soon, very soon.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's that second tier of prospects and the unknowns that have me so intrigued.

Reading over that list of Oilers and Leafs since 2007 is absolutely dreadful.  I mean I feel bad we basically failed at drafting after the loss of Bourdon.  But then we never had picks that high nor did we have the extra picks as we liked to trade them.

Knwing the Oilers and Leafs failed to draft ANYONE meaningful really outside of that all important top 10 and actually whiffed on more than a few picks makes our record look quite a bit better by comparison.

We're currently 2 or 4 years in to our rebuild and have managed to find by all accounts, gems and treasures all over the draft.  Tryamkin and Demko, Brisebois, Gaudette and Zhukenov, Lockwood Candella, Mackenzie and Abols and finally Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro and possibly Rathbone.  Without question we cannot call these guys NHL players (yet) and certainly not players with the caliber of Marner, Hall, Matthews or McJesus but still potentially depth or better NHL players of the like that teams need to win cups.  Both for cap reasons but also common sense reasons.

That is more potential NHL players in 1 single draft outside of the 1st round than the Oilers and Leafs scraped together in 10 years.  Now obviously the last 3 years are too early to tell for any of these three aforementioned teams but again; by all accounts our "other tier" of prospects is far more appealing than we could have hoped for.

Give it 2 or 3 more drafts just like the last 3 under benning and we could conceivably have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league for the first time in club history.

That 2-3 more drafts is 2-3 more seasons of development.  That gives us a potential 2-3 new rookies per year starting as early as the start of the 2019 season and then carrying on until...well who knows.

All I can hope for right now is a competitive team this year, where I predict we absolutely bottom out due to injuries and increased play from the rest of the conference and a sell off of vets this and next year to ensure we have extra picks in the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Then it is that patience...waiting game.  I love our "other tier" of prospects far more than I do our Juolevi's, Pettersons and Virtanens because these are the prospects that cups are won on

I think that we likely see Goldobin (3-4-7 in 5 games in Utica) and possibly Gaudette (2-7-9 in 5 games at Northeastern) before the season is out.

I realized Juolevi went from a -3 after 3 GP to an even (0) in his +/-, which suggests that he may already start to feel better playing in his new team as this indicates that he was a +3 in his most recent game.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Upvote 2

We've got 'sometimes C' Gagner, Gaunce coming back, Burmistrov etc for depth until Gaudette, Pettersson etc start to show up.

Unless there's a clear upgrade of something like Baer + one of Edler or Hutton later this year for a young C that would simply give us more options...

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Reading over that list of Oilers and Leafs since 2007 is absolutely dreadful.  I mean I feel bad we basically failed at drafting after the loss of Bourdon.  But then we never had picks that high nor did we have the extra picks as we liked to trade them.

Knwing the Oilers and Leafs failed to draft ANYONE meaningful really outside of that all important top 10 and actually whiffed on more than a few picks makes our record look quite a bit better by comparison.

We're currently 2 or 4 years in to our rebuild and have managed to find by all accounts, gems and treasures all over the draft.  Tryamkin and Demko, Brisebois, Gaudette and Zhukenov, Lockwood Candella, Mackenzie and Abols and finally Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro and possibly Rathbone.  Without question we cannot call these guys NHL players (yet) and certainly not players with the caliber of Marner, Hall, Matthews or McJesus but still potentially depth or better NHL players of the like that teams need to win cups.  Both for cap reasons but also common sense reasons.

That is more potential NHL players in 1 single draft outside of the 1st round than the Oilers and Leafs scraped together in 10 years.  Now obviously the last 3 years are too early to tell for any of these three aforementioned teams but again; by all accounts our "other tier" of prospects is far more appealing than we could have hoped for.

Give it 2 or 3 more drafts just like the last 3 under benning and we could conceivably have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league for the first time in club history.

That 2-3 more drafts is 2-3 more seasons of development.  That gives us a potential 2-3 new rookies per year starting as early as the start of the 2019 season and then carrying on until...well who knows.

All I can hope for right now is a competitive team this year, where I predict we absolutely bottom out due to injuries and increased play from the rest of the conference and a sell off of vets this and next year to ensure we have extra picks in the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Then it is that patience...waiting game.  I love our "other tier" of prospects far more than I do our Juolevi's, Pettersons and Virtanens because these are the prospects that cups are won on

Welcome to the dark side WH B)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is what I've been saying.  When Shanahan took over it wasn't like his team was loaded of talent from previous regimes loading up with draft talent.  Shanahan is in the same year of rebuilding as Jim Benning is.

That is more potential NHL players in 1 single draft outside of the 1st round than the Oilers and Leafs scraped together in 10 years. 

This is where we disagree.  Since Shanahan has taken over they haven't stop finding talent.  Bracco, Woll, Brooks, Grundstrom, Dermott, Nielsen, Dzierkals, Timashov, Desrocher, and Korostelev are all the same quality of players you just listed, if not better. 

Adam Brook put up 120 points in his draft +1 year, 130 points in his draft +2 year.

Bracco put up 83 points in 57 OHL games last year.

Dermott is a stud, that almost made the leafs roster this year.

Nielson put up 39 points in his first full AHL season, 74 games (as a D)

Woll is on the same path as Demko being a high hyped up goalie in boston college.  (his sa% took a hit last game)

Dzierkals over ppg in OHL in both his d+1&2 years

Timashov put up 85 points in 57 game in his d+1 year in the Q.

Korostelev has been a ppg player every year in the OHL since being drafted.

And that's completely leaving out the 2018 draft with players like, Liljegren stud D and Rasanen a 6'7" monster who's ppg D so far in the OHL this year.

Now obviously the last 3 years are too early to tell for any of these three aforementioned teams but again; by all accounts our "other tier" of prospects is far more appealing than we could have hoped for.

I like our other tier, bit it's hard not to over hype it, simply because it's something we've never had before (or in a long long time).  But plenty of other teams that have decent drafting has just as an exciting other tier.  Just look around the NHL and see what prospects teams are bring up.  TO, TB, NJ, CBJ, STL, ARZ, NSH, even a team like the WSH has a load of other tier players that they've been cooking.  

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Hopefully OJ becomes more comfortable as the games progress. Looks like he's getting better defensively, hopefully he will also start to create some plays soon. 

Would love if he developed some chemistry with Palmu.

I've got a good feeling about that guy. Definitely looks to have  a decent chance to be a player in the NHL.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would love if he developed some chemistry with Palmu.

I've got a good feeling about that guy. Definitely looks to have  a decent chance to be a player in the NHL.

You sir are on to something...

Totally forgot about Palmu, man does he have a lot of skill. Man could we use him on our PP ;/

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Adam Brook put up 120 points in his draft +1 year, 130 points in his draft +2 year.

He was drafted in his third year of eligibility after putting up 11 and then 62 points in his first two go rounds. He scored the 120 and 130 in his D+2 and overage years. He’s got 1 point in 6 AHL games this year.

And Korostolev was well below PPG production in his D+1 year and below it so far in his overage year. And iirc, isn’t he a next-level floater and defensive absentee?

just to nitpick

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Kungfudru said:

I love for us to get Sam Reinhart. I'd trade Juolevi and Gaunce 

Juolevi for Reinhart would be that "hockey trade" for both teams. Buffalo has drafted offensive forwards the past few years in Alex Nylander (2016) and Casey Mittelstadt (2017), while having Eichel and O'Reilly as there #1 and #2 centres currently in the NHL. A Finnish duo of Juolevi and Ristolainen would likely be their top defensive pair. That said, Reinhart might not end up as a centre long term and he hasn't had a good start to the season. With added strength and faceoff coaching from Manny Malhotra, he could be that #1C who puts up PPG, but IMO he could also fizzle out and be a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. The chances of either happening, I don't know. But Juolevi for Reinhart is right up there with Sergachev for Drouin. I like the idea, but I don't think we're ready to make that deal just yet considering we're thin on bluechip defense prospects.

(unless tanev gets traded for liljegren+ and we draft a top-rated defenseman with our first rounder this year...)

• Upvote 1

Some fun excerpts from the Avs boards:

• "Either way, I don't want Juolevi. A quick look over on the Canucks board indicates they'd love that deal. Juolevi apparently hasn't been developing too well"
  • "Juolevi and their unprotected first would be an amazing haul."
  • "Everything I've seen says he has progressed zero since his draft, and has possibly even regressed. There is way too much risk there."
  • "He was absolutely terrible last year wasn't he? Heavy regression and all. Every time that I read the Canucks board in the last 6 months they wanted to trade him while he still has some value, there must be a reason? Usually fanbases don't want to get rid of highly ranked prospects a year after the draft."
  • "Juolevi would be ok with me if it includes +++ the Nucks built up some prospect assets over the last year"

Getting a sense they're not very high on Juolevi+ overvalue Duchene to the moon. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

They already had the likes of Kadri, JVR, Komarov, Reilly, and Gardiner onboard and the Canucks had... Horvat just arriving.  Hutton has been serviceable, but by most standards the cupboards were bare, and aside from Kesler they did not really have much in the way of disposable assets to restock with.  The Leafs had been spinning their wheels, with some decent players onboard, drafted, and coming in while they tried to be competitive, whereas the Canucks pretty much created a 10-year hole in the future trying to win a cup.

First of all Canucks also had Tanev and Markstrom on our roster under 25 for some reason people keep forgetting them..  

Second of all. The only way the you can justify it is if you assume they are pieces leafs had that they don't have to fill in the future.  If you don't think they are pieces leafs will build around in the future, then really all they are is more aless a semi talented stop gap.  Like we have in the twins and Edler.  It's not like canucks roster was completely empty outside of Horvat, Hutton, Tanev and Markstrom.  We had talent.

Reilly, Gardiner and Kadri would be the only ones i'd say a future pieces.  JVR is a player leafs have been dangling in order to trade for a shut down D for the last two years.

5 hours ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Some fun excerpts from the Avs boards:

• "Either way, I don't want Juolevi. A quick look over on the Canucks board indicates they'd love that deal. Juolevi apparently hasn't been developing too well"
  • "Juolevi and their unprotected first would be an amazing haul."
  • "Everything I've seen says he has progressed zero since his draft, and has possibly even regressed. There is way too much risk there."
  • "He was absolutely terrible last year wasn't he? Heavy regression and all. Every time that I read the Canucks board in the last 6 months they wanted to trade him while he still has some value, there must be a reason? Usually fanbases don't want to get rid of highly ranked prospects a year after the draft."
  • "Juolevi would be ok with me if it includes +++ the Nucks built up some prospect assets over the last year"

Getting a sense they're not very high on Juolevi+ overvalue Duchene to the moon. 

Evidently they know nothing about him except that he was a high pick.

• Upvote 2