The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Can't say I'm impressed that he is left off the team. I still think there is something fishy going on from two World Juniors back when the team had revolt. In the end we will all know more when preseason is here. Having only seen him once live at the Young Stars tournament I will be interested in seeing how much he has improved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I guess I am a little bitter seeing 2 players I wanted to pick having good season's in the pro's and one contributing in a great playoff series right now.

I guess I just need to take anther patience pill.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NHL'er said:

No because part of being a true bandwagoning Canucks fan is to be extremely and unfairly critical of our prospects and players when they show the first signs of struggling (see Jake Virtanen) and bow down, award them the Stanley Cup and induct them into the Hall of Fame when they have one great season.

It's actually in the Terms and Conditions when you sign up as a member of the Canucks.com forums if you read carefully! :canucks: 

An alternative option to your approach is to fairly evaluate prospects from the second they are on your team's radar and neither get too high or too low and realize that for the vast majority of these kids, you don't fully know what you have until they are at a minimum 22 or 23 years old and with some (power forwards, goalies and Dmen) even two years later (or more).   This "instant gratification" nonsense that has creeped into fandom for some is at odds with how players develop.   

Good for your "terms and conditions" but at least this individual will decline those terms and continue to evaluate on what they do, how they are progressing and what their ceilings look like versus some artificial timeline based upon another player, someone's imagination or, the most inane, some "sport's journalist" who cannot tie their skates without breaking into a sweat even if they own a pair (of skates, but I could also mean otherwise given their chickenshick commentaries).

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

An alternative option to your approach is to fairly evaluate prospects from the second they are on your team's radar and neither get too high or too low and realize that for the vast majority of these kids, you don't fully know what you have until they are at a minimum 22 or 23 years old and with some (power forwards, goalies and Dmen) even two years later (or more).   This "instant gratification" nonsense that has creeped into fandom for some is at odds with how players develop.   

Good for your "terms and conditions" but at least this individual will decline those terms and continue to evaluate on what they do, how they are progressing and what their ceilings look like versus some artificial timeline based upon another player, someone's imagination or, the most inane, some "sport's journalist" who cannot tie their skates without breaking into a sweat even if they own a pair (of skates, but I could also mean otherwise given their chickenshick commentaries).

I was being sarcastic....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Taking the piss of the majority of "fans" who are unnecessarily harsh. Oh man, I cannot believe I just had to explain that.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NHL'er said:

Taking the piss of the majority of "fans" who are unnecessarily harsh. Oh man, I cannot believe I just had to explain that.

Yup, you did.  Believe it.   Believe it hard baby.    :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

So many excuses and defaming..Maybe Olli just isn't that good, or isn't what they are looking for?

Don't reassure everybody how good a player is then when he doesn't make the team start blaming coaching/management and disregarding the talents of other players.

Oh look.

Mr. I don't crap on players himself.

Maybe you're opinion about things is about as quality as your view on our prospects?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Unless I’m mistaken, OJ hasn’t turned 20 yet and he still hasn’t played his first NHL game.

Is it really all that disappointing that he ended up one of the final cuts on a men’s national team?

If you listen to 5th and anyone on HF boards.  Yup

He's an absolute bust

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, you did.  Believe it.   Believe it hard baby.    :lol:

Half asleep still? Haha 

For OJ I am staying patient as he is not a flashy player.  We all knew that going in.   He is going to play a refined game that should and is taking some time to develop.

Forwards historically develop quicker so I was not surprised or disappointed when some of them were playing NHL games right away.

Sergachev was a risk.  Everyone knew he COULD  be the best D in the draft.  I would say we missed on Serg but I am ok with that one because there was no way to know

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

How am I crapping on him? 

So many excuses and defaming..Maybe Olli just isn't that good, or isn't what they are looking for?

Don't reassure everybody how good a player is then when he doesn't make the team start blaming coaching/management and disregarding the talents of other players.

Don't disregard the season OJ had or somehow equate his not being on a world team to him not being talented enough to play

Just now, Baratheon said:

Half asleep still? Haha 

For OJ I am staying patient as he is not a flashy player.  We all knew that going in.   He is going to play a refined game that should and is taking some time to develop.

Forwards historically develop quicker so I was not surprised or disappointed when some of them were playing NHL games right away.

Sergachev was a risk.  Everyone knew he COULD  be the best D in the draft.  I would say we missed on Serg but I am ok with that one because there was no way to know

Sergachev still isn't played in leverage situations (Dzone) as when he does end up in his own end, it is an adventure and often not a good one.   Sergachev will likely put up more career points than OJ but be a far less coveted Dman as OJ has all six key Dman tools.   Time will obviously tell but whereas TBay is keeping Sergachev out of leverage situations, TPS pretty much made sure that was all OJ saw in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

How am I crapping on him?  He wasn't good enough to make the team, no point in making excuses about it.

He's an okay prospect still but as of RIGHT NOW he has been a disappointment progression wise in relation to his draft position.Not the end of the world but,we will have to wait and see.

Now I know you and others are gonna cry about all of that too so I'll get you a box of tissues.

Image result for ok fingers

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sergachev still isn't played in leverage situations (Dzone) as when he does end up in his own end, it is an adventure and often not a good one.   Sergachev will likely put up more career points than OJ but be a far less coveted Dman as OJ has all six key Dman tools.   Time will obviously tell but whereas TBay is keeping Sergachev out of leverage situations, TPS pretty much made sure that was all OJ saw in the playoffs.

You saw that too eh?  I really thought that we'd see Sergachev played more advantageously in the playoffs so far but that hasn't been the case yet.

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yep I agree with this.  Sergachev is pretty much as he was advertised.  OJ is as well.  A lot of scouts were saying that OJ wasn't going to 'wow' people right away and to be patient with him.

OJ is going to be a really nice piece of our team.  Good skating, good size and very good at threading passes.

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

How am I crapping on him?  He wasn't good enough to make the team, no point in making excuses about it.

He's an okay prospect still but as of RIGHT NOW he has been a disappointment progression wise in relation to his draft position.Not the end of the world but,we will have to wait and see.

Now I know you and others are gonna cry about all of that too so I'll get you a box of tissues.

And stop making me sound like a prospect hater, the only guy I've given a rough time has been Virtanen and I've predicted his development path to a tee so far lol

Have no problem with what your saying besides your assertion that he is just an okay prospect and his progression is disappointing. He had a great year in a pro league and took his game up a notch during playoffs. Also was one of Finlands top 3 players at the world juniors and from my view there best defenseman. I have no idea how that screams okay prospect to you?

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah I guess I am a little bitter seeing 2 players I wanted to pick having good season's in the pro's and one contributing in a great playoff series right now.

I guess I just need to take anther patience pill.

Sergachev and Tkachuk?

• Upvote 1