The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If OJ is good enough right out of camp and preseason to be in our top six, then he should be on the team.  That means we are getting better.  (I see him in Utica too, especially when he’s coming of the back surgery.)

I hope he makes the Canucks out of camp.  Don't prefer him starting in Utica as I feel it may negatively impact Brisebois' usage and development.  

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Please help me try to understand....i just don't get it! Why is everyone so keen to see him suit up for the big club? So many people on these forums are so quick to bitch and moan he was the wrong pick....

The Canucks don't need immediate help , lets be honest the defence is somewhat of a tire fire. If you throw kids just learning their craft into that mess and expect Norris candidates to rise out of the ashes you are deluded. If those same prospects fail then the horrible word BUST starts getting thrown around.

Its my opinion that OJ has been given every opportunity to learn how to be an NHL player by the Canucks management, and if it takes 1 or even 2 more years before he plays for the Canucks then its what is required for him to be the best player he can possible be.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think most people see Olli going to Utica until he is ready for a call up.  Once the coach has live proof that he is NHL ready, he will get his opportunity.  Fans have changed their tune about him since Salo suggested that he is NHL ready this season.  I am hoping that he gets a call up later in the season and can join the team after TD.

Yup, I see injury call ups until we move MDZ at the TDL. Then recalled from there and on the team out of camp next fall. Likely a playoff run in Utica next spring.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Zoolander said:

IMHO The AHL (aka The Jungle) would be worse for Juolevi than SM-Liiga. 

He had an amazing year there and is being mentored by Sami Salo. One more year there wouldn't hurt.

And trust me, I was in Finland for most of his season. If it wasn't for Heiskanen, he would be getting much more media coverage 

AHL = Always Hungry League.

You have to write down what food you want post game on a slip of paper and put money in a cup for the trainer to go out and buy it. You didn't bring cash? No food on the bus ride!

Then in the NHL, there is poached Halibut and Fillet Mignon waiting on your chartered flight after the game.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On July 11, 2018 at 7:58 PM, Bovechkin said:

I love that idea. Honestly for how highly Oli was drafted and how much skill and brains he has, I would expect him to come to this training camp and fight to take his NHL spot away from everyone else competing against him. 

I really think Juolevi will come to camp and surprise management..I say he might play 10-15 games in Utica and   then play rest of the season with Vancouver...Will be great to see Juolevi finally playing in the NHL 3 years after being drafted..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, I see injury call ups until we move MDZ at the TDL. Then recalled from there and on the team out of camp next fall. Likely a playoff run in Utica next spring.

IDK OJ has the tools to be a tonic for our current team, namely an outlet pass.  If he can find some Chemstry with a partner and get the puck up to our forwards...  who on the team can do that currently...  it’s not about if he is ready, it’s more that there isn’t really anyone in his way unles Pouliot finds his game or Hutton is reborn. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding but the way this reads seems as if you think that’s a bad thing. Very very few defenceman outside of maybe the top 3 make it their first year. McAvoy, Sergachev, Chychrun, are all outliers from how even high end usually defenceman develop. 

I honestly could care less where Juolevi was drafted, who we coulda/shoulda had instead. He’s our guy, and I trust his mentor in Salo and what he has to say about him. Anyone expecting Juolevi to come in and light the world on fire like the second coming of Bobby Orr is going to be soundly disappointed. Juolevi brings a quiet, smooth, calm presence to the back end. 

Agree. While I can see OJ making the club on skill, I would also be happy to see him in Utica. This rush to get players into the line up is not realistic and should never be factored into their development. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, rekker said:

Good point on taking the heat off JO after drafting Hughes. I dont think JO's quiet demeanor should be confused with anything. It's a Finnish thing and Salo was the same way. JO will be a great player for the Canucks once he settles into the NHL game. Once he gets his confidence he has all the tools and will be just fine. 

This is exactly right. I am married to a Finn and have been to Finland a number of times. With a few notable exceptions, Finns tend to be modest and understated. However, after a few drinks and in the sauna.....

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding but the way this reads seems as if you think that’s a bad thing. Very very few defenceman outside of maybe the top 3 make it their first year. McAvoy, Sergachev, Chychrun, are all outliers from how even high end usually defenceman develop. 

I honestly could care less where Juolevi was drafted, who we coulda/shoulda had instead. He’s our guy, and I trust his mentor in Salo and what he has to say about him. Anyone expecting Juolevi to come in and light the world on fire like the second coming of Bobby Orr is going to be soundly disappointed. Juolevi brings a quiet, smooth, calm presence to the back end. 

the opposite of Hutton...lol

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Agree. While I can see OJ making the club on skill, I would also be happy to see him in Utica. This rush to get players into the line up is not realistic and should never be factored into their development. 

It's certainly possibly. Even then, he likely gets 'Stechered' until injury or trade opens a spot. Though Hutton getting waived is not entirely out of the realm of possibility either.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's certainly possibly. Even then, he likely gets 'Stechered' until injury or trade opens a spot. Though Hutton getting waived is not entirely out of the realm of possibility either.

Hutton could be waived as I don’t think he has any trade value whatsoever atm. 

59 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Hutton could be waived as I don’t think he has any trade value whatsoever atm

Yup.

ATM.

I'd not be surprised if they want him to play and up his trade value though. Unless he comes to camp and is completely outclassed (which is doubtful IMO as he's going to be fighting for an NHL job whether here or another team).

This would be a great year to bring JJ into the lineup. He'll have 2 LD vets in Edler and MDZ taking the hard minutes. We can ease him in. Next season we'll likely have Hughes come into LD as well. Probably better to not have 2 rookies on the same side as they may face too many situations they aren't ready for.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup.

ATM.

I'd not be surprised if they want him to play and up his trade value though. Unless he comes to camp and is completely outclassed (which is doubtful IMO as he's going to be fighting for an NHL job whether here or another team).

I still don’t know what happened to Hutton. Where did his game

go?  

Work ethic, awareness and determination all disappeared. 

After last year I don’t know if he will find it again... of all the players on the roster that could

beneifit from a change in scenery I think Hutton is the guy. 

Wonder which other team out there has a similar situation and cap hit to send back. 

Any ideas. 

1 hour ago, shazzam said:

This would be a great year to bring JJ into the lineup. He'll have 2 LD vets in Edler and MDZ taking the hard minutes. We can ease him in. Next season we'll likely have Hughes come into LD as well. Probably better to not have 2 rookies on the same side as they may face too many situations they aren't ready for.

Been mulling over the line up this season and OJ gives Green a new look to try out.  I wonder if OJ might be the right catalyst for Pouliot to realize his offence?  

I would like to see that pairing at work on the PP for sure but even on a o zone possession with the Horvat or Pettersson line. 

Put Edler with Tanev

as our number one pairing. 

MDZ with Guddy for the physical line.

Then OJ and Pouliot as the offensive line.  As a third pairing with a focus with development and by the end of the year as a second pairing.  

Stecher can fit in and call ups can bring in the relief. 

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, RogersTowell said:

Fun fact: It took Lumme until draft +3 to see his first NHL game and draft +4 to be full time.  Draft +6-8 were his best seasons.

Patience.  Things are unfolding before our eyes if we let them.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:57 PM, RogersTowell said:

Sami Salo played his first full season (and first NHL games) in his draft +3 year.  Here's hoping Juolevi does the same.  Note that Juolevi had a very good playoff campaign for Jokerit at the end of the season (2g, 5a, 7p in 11 games and +5).

Yeh and the Canucks took Oli because he was very young and dominating, But not ready for the big leagues. You would think he is 25 the way he gets roughed up on CDC, but hey he is only 20 and in his draft +3. He will be a stud of a defenseman and at 19 he was playing with men and at times being the best defenseman on the ice, He could be a ace in this line up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Don’t sleep on Juolevi folks. He didn’t win a memorial cup and a junior gold in the same season for no reason. He might take awhile to get going after rehabbing his back, but by season end he will be a fixture on the big club. He’s added size to a lean frame and improved his skating last season. Going to be in the league for 15 years. 

Indeed.  Surgery rehab notwithstanding, expecting him to look better than Hutton did when he came in and forced his way onto the team, which lead to Corrado being waived.  There's some snoozing happening with the likes of him and Gaudette, and I won't be at all surprised if a couple others like Jasek and Palmu show very well at camp and even preseason as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1