Canucks Community

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Took the time to go through all the Utica games to date and I am VERY impressed by the top 4 D in Utica with Ollie leading the way as their number 1.   I think all four of those kids will be NHL regulars - Sautner, Jalen, Ollie and Briesbois all have great instincts, all can skate and all seem to do a lot of the key breakout things "right" which is key in the increasingly fast paced NHL.   They all make mistakes that all young D make but you could put any one of the four in the NHL right now and they would be just fine.   However, they have a top 4 role in Utica and given the nature of the AHL game, they are getting far better development minutes and having to play in all key situations (PP, PK etc.).   It has been a long while (long before I started following Vancouver) when the Canucks have had four NHL ready Dmen that were in their farm system and were all this young all at the same time.   

Back to OJ specifically, he needs to time some of his pinches better but his breakout passes and carries are elite and NHL ready.   He is playing more physically than he did last year in Finland and using his size to advantage.   He is very calm on the PP with the puck and gets the puck low versus shooting into shin-pads.   

Early in the season but Canucks have four of the better top 4 D in the AHL when you take age and potential into account.    Wow, it has been a long time since you could say that.

His pinches do look a bit too much like Edler's...I think his reaction time to his mistakes might be faster then Edler's already though...and it is good to hear he is playing more physical.

I love Edler's defensive work, particularly on the PK...but his pinches and missed neutral zone reads cost us a chance or 3 per game...I think OJ could do better at not coughing up the puck, or defending after a takeaway after not to many games.

Edler to Toronto along with Gagner and a 3rd round pick...maybe Gaunce thrown in...that is my top dollar for Nylander...

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

His pinches do look a bit too much like Edler's...I think his reaction time to his mistakes might be faster then Edler's already though...and it is good to hear he is playing more physical.

I love Edler's defensive work, particularly on the PK...but his pinches and missed neutral zone reads cost us a chance or 3 per game...I think OJ could do better at not coughing up the puck, or defending after a takeaway after not to many games.

Edler to Toronto along with Gagner and a 3rd round pick...maybe Gaunce thrown in...that is my top dollar for Nylander...

I don't agree on his pinches looked like Edler's from the games I have on tape from this year.   To me, he pinches a lot like Keith from Chicago though he is a much bigger player than Keith.   He seems to pinch not to keep the puck in (Edler style) but to try and manufacture a play (Keith does this, well did this, as good as anyone in hockey for a long while).   My point on his pinches is he needs to be more sure of the forwards he is on with as a few times he has pinched this year, the forward that will cover in NHL is an AHL rookie and totally lost in terms of the correct positioning and an odd-man rush has resulted.

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm certainly not laughing (now or then). If we do miraculously stay healthy, we may very well scratch and claw our way to (or close to) a wildcard spot.

That said, I doubt that miracles do happen... We'll run in to injury troubles at some point, teams will ramp up after Christmas and we'll likely find our way sliding back down in to the bottom 10. 

Perfectly content with either outcome though.

as I am.  They do have the depth to at least stay competitive in the face of reasonable injuries though.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The laffs laugh at that one. You must not want Nylander or hate the laffs. Can’t tell. 

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Took the time to go through all the Utica games to date and I am VERY impressed by the top 4 D in Utica with Ollie leading the way as their number 1.   I think all four of those kids will be NHL regulars - Sautner, Jalen, Ollie and Briesbois all have great instincts, all can skate and all seem to do a lot of the key breakout things "right" which is key in the increasingly fast paced NHL.   They all make mistakes that all young D make but you could put any one of the four in the NHL right now and they would be just fine.   However, they have a top 4 role in Utica and given the nature of the AHL game, they are getting far better development minutes and having to play in all key situations (PP, PK etc.).   It has been a long while (long before I started following Vancouver) when the Canucks have had four NHL ready Dmen that were in their farm system and were all this young all at the same time.   

Back to OJ specifically, he needs to time some of his pinches better but his breakout passes and carries are elite and NHL ready.   He is playing more physically than he did last year in Finland and using his size to advantage.   He is very calm on the PP with the puck and gets the puck low versus shooting into shin-pads.   

Early in the season but Canucks have four of the better top 4 D in the AHL when you take age and potential into account.    Wow, it has been a long time since you could say that.

Have to dispute your assessment of Juolevi as the best D in Utica, he simply is not.  Juolevi needs to learn a lot in his own zone - he leads his team at -7.  Brisebois, by comparison has been almost error free, has as many points as Juolevi in less games, and is plus 4.  Defensively, he is also surpassed by Sautner.  Juolevi is improving, but he has some distance to go defensively.  It does no good to young players to overrate them - what they need most, just like anyone else, are realistic appraisals.

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 4

I think we should believe the coach when he says OJ is their top defenseman. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I think we should believe the coach when he says OJ is their top defenseman. 

Show me the quote.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Thanks for taking the time to watch and report Robb

I wonder how it all plays out with what is happening on the big club?

MDZ is gone sometime this year, but that still leaves...…

1. Edler

2. Hutton

3. Pouliot

Hughes

Juolevi

Brisebois

and most likely 

Sautner

All needing a place to play next year....Joulevi and Hughes are waiver exempt next year...….

What do you think Robb, something has to happen according to your report.

Thoughts?

Wouldn't be surprised to see OJ and Chatfield arrive in the bigs together. -  they have been developing great chemistry with each other in Utica

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't agree on his pinches looked like Edler's from the games I have on tape from this year.   To me, he pinches a lot like Keith from Chicago though he is a much bigger player than Keith.   He seems to pinch not to keep the puck in (Edler style) but to try and manufacture a play (Keith does this, well did this, as good as anyone in hockey for a long while).   My point on his pinches is he needs to be more sure of the forwards he is on with as a few times he has pinched this year, the forward that will cover in NHL is an AHL rookie and totally lost in terms of the correct positioning and an odd-man rush has resulted.

great observation, I'll be watching for that. 

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

1. Edler

2. Hutton

3. Pouliot

Hughes

Juolevi

Brisebois

and most likely 

Sautner

All needing a place to play next year....Joulevi and Hughes are waiver exempt next year...….

Thoughts?

I am very confident that on next year's opening roster (barring injuries) Tanev, Stecher, Hutton, Gudbranson, Juolevi, and Hughes our gonna be our starting 6.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Theguy445 said:

I am very confident that on next year's opening roster (barring injuries) Tanev, Stecher, Hutton, Gudbranson, Juolevi, and Hughes our gonna be our starting 6.

Boy Guddy is going to be busy!

1 hour ago, Theguy445 said:

Tree in Hutton out

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Have to dispute your assessment of Juolevi as the best D in Utica, he simply is not.  Juolevi needs to learn a lot in his own zone - he leads his team at -7.  Brisebois, by comparison has been almost error free, has as many points as Juolevi in less games, and is plus 4.  Defensively, he is also surpassed by Sautner.  Juolevi is improving, but he has some distance to go defensively.  It does no good to young players to overrate them - what they need most, just like anyone else, are realistic appraisals.

I watched every minute of every game to this point in the season and he is their best Dman - period.  Plus/minus is at times a useless stat - and certainly it is with Utica so far this season.   Brisebois has been good but has a better partner and has not been left alone on many odd-man rushes nor has he been given the tough assignments.   Juolevi has gone up against the other teams number one line almost exclusively each game plus the PP and PK assignments.   

No one is overevaluating anyone - simply watching the games and commenting.   If you have been watching the games and have a different perspective, that is more than fine.   If you are basing it on stats - go right ahead.   I use the eye test over stats myself.   Your method is up to you.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

1. Edler

2. Hutton

3. Pouliot

Hughes

Juolevi

Brisebois

and most likely 

Sautner

Thoughts?

I doubt very much that Edler is back next year for one.   I also believe that DP needs to either improve a LOT or OJ will pass him as early as Christmas.