The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

11 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think Hughes is expecting to play in the NHL next season in stead of signing and going to Utica. If Juolevi keeps up this pace and makes the team out of camp we may have two rookie LD starting in the same season. This will make things interesting with the lines. 

Hutton Stetcher 

Juolevi Tanev 

Hughes Gudbranson 

Pouliot Biega 

Gone 

Edler

Del Zotto 

Wouldn't be surprised if we landed a top 4 RD in FA next season

15 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I feel like people need to find something about Joulevi to complain about. First it was that he was solid defensively but doesnt have high end offensive potential of a top 5 pick, then its he producing offensively but look at his +/-, he must be bad defensively. This offense is great for his development, as he will continue to improve defensively at the next level due to his hockey IQ and as he gets stronger. 

I agree.

It's like it was with Jake Virtanen. When Virt started playing better defensively, some people started saying that we didn't draft him to be a 4th liner, he won't score more than 10-15 goals blah blah blah. And here he is, dominating possession, scoring goals, and playing well defensively. 

Juolevi is going to be good. I will be surprised if he doesn't become a top 2D.

Some of us fans need to learn to be patient with the youth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I don’t know why so many people are butt hurt over OJ he is showing great offensive prowess in Utica right now.

You can teach defensive and I feel once you gets more familiar with the league his defensive style will come in but showing the offensive tools that he’s got has been great. Once Demko gets back in the crease his plus minus with be better but I honestly like majority things I’m seeing from OJ so far, watched about 10-12 of the game 

The posters who have been down on OJ are the posters that have been down on him since he was drafted.  Anyone who hasn’t cemented their opinion on a player the day he was drafted is getting excited about OJ.  13 pt’s!  Nearly a PPG pace near the first quarter mark by a rookie Canucks d man!  Anyone down on OJ is never going to like him, even if he wins a Norris one year ;)  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, khay said:

I agree.

It's like it was with Jake Virtanen. When Virt started playing better defensively, some people started saying that we didn't draft him to be a 4th liner, he won't score more than 10-15 goals blah blah blah. And here he is, dominating possession, scoring goals, and playing well defensively. 

Juolevi is going to be good. I will be surprised if he doesn't become a top 2D.

Some of us fans need to learn to be patient with the youth.

And maybe during some stretches into the season - when injuries pile up -he might be used just like Edler, as a #1D playing 25 minutes a night, and used in every situation. Having him doing really well offensively grants that possibility. I myself was happy with Juolevi being a really good defensive D-man. I am even more excited seeing him put up some points in the AHL.

Edited by BrazilianCanuck

11 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think Hughes is expecting to play in the NHL next season in stead of signing and going to Utica. If Juolevi keeps up this pace and makes the team out of camp we may have two rookie LD starting in the same season. This will make things interesting with the lines. 

Hutton Stetcher 

Juolevi Tanev 

Hughes Gudbranson 

Pouliot Biega 

Gone 

Edler

Del Zotto 

11 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we landed a top 4 RD in FA next season

And/or Edler is likely to be back.

On 11/14/2018 at 9:22 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

I feel like people need to find something about Joulevi to complain about. First it was that he was solid defensively but doesnt have high end offensive potential of a top 5 pick, then its he producing offensively but look at his +/-, he must be bad defensively. This offense is great for his development, as he will continue to improve defensively at the next level due to his hockey IQ and as he gets stronger. 

Next complaint would be how he doesn't shoot enough or his shots aren't hard enough.  After that will be how he doesn't bodycheck enough.... and once he does, he doesn't level guys or do those open-ice hits enough.  

Not Norris calibre.  After winning his first Norris.... it's just a fluke... where's the second one?  Why no Conn Smythe?  Why no Hart?

On 2018-11-14 at 9:32 AM, BrazilianCanuck said:

If we got ourselves another Edler-like player, that is awesome. Having Hughes to complement the job offensively, we may be set for the future, regarding #1-2 D

I don’t see Juolevi as Edler-like at all.  Edler is a pretty solid defensive defenceman, whereas Juolevi has struggled again lately, at least up till now - but it’s early in his career, hopefully he will become consistent defensively.  He sees the ice better than Edler and he gets his shots through on the PP - Edler loves to hammer his checker in the pads with his shot, then fall over himself when the puck pops out behind him.  Edler is much more physical than Juolevi, and a better shot blocker - but, those things that can improve as Juolevi fills in that big frame and learns the D side of the game.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t see Juolevi as Edler-like at all.  Edler is a pretty solid defensive defenceman, whereas Juolevi has struggled again lately, at least up till now - but it’s early in his career, hopefully he will become consistent defensively.  He sees the ice better than Edler and he gets his shots through on the PP - Edler loves to hammer his checker in the pads with his shot, then fall over himself when the puck pops out behind him.  Edler is much more physical than Juolevi, and a better shot blocker - but, those things that can improve as Juolevi fills in that big frame and learns the D side of the game.

Omg this made me laugh! How many times has this happened!

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Hahahahaha oh yeah, the ability to shoot into pads is Edler's unique super move haha. But I was actually referring to playing big minutes, and being used in all situations - matchups, power plays, PK

Edited by BrazilianCanuck

1 hour ago, BrazilianCanuck said:

Hahahahaha oh yeah, the ability to shoot into pads is Edler's unique super move haha. But I was actually referring to playing big minutes, and being used in all situations - matchups, power plays, PK

I don’t think we have evidence yet to assume he can be used in matchups - at least not against other teams’ top lines - he hasn’t shown that he can defend well enough yet.  It appears he has the endurance for long minutes, but can he yet be trusted to play the PK or matched against the opponents top line?  He hasn’t shown that yet, but it is still early in his first of North American pro hockey.  Most of the other D in Utica needed a year or more in the AHL to become more sound defensively- I’m thinking more of Sautner and Brisebois here.  Sadly, McEneny seems to have regressed since his injury - I hope he can again become the confident, able player that he was starting to become.  

It’s really early on Juolevi yet, and man I sure wouldn’t want to throw him into the defensive mess in Vancouver at this point - that could be a killer to a young player’s confidence.  As soon as Sutter and Beagle are ready, I think Gaudette should go back down and get back to scoring goals in Utica, too.  And that’s not because I don’t like Gaudette, it’s because I do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/8/2018 at 2:52 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

People crapping on players honing their skill in the AHL are basically crapping on about 90% of the players in the NHL and about 90% of the coaches too (who are also grads).

17-18openingnight-714x1024.jpg

On my old account, I deleted at the end of the season due to the fact no matter how much i loved CDC. there were just too many as you first pointed out plastic fans. it seemed a lot of people took pleasure if our prospects were not Brock right away. OJ in particular, as well ass Jake who IMO Literally was on the precipice of being a career minor leaguer or 4th line NHLer at best. We used to be the ones among lots of others like sid or rush, that pointed out OJ in every tier he steps up takes about 10 games to get acclimated. A lot of us pointed out how partly due to how he was played his first pro season. And how WD had him on a leash,m but unlike TG He also gave Jake a little leeway and tons of extra time off the ice. Jake responded to the year in Utica. where he was well kinda a chubster lol. He matured like everyone at that age usually does. The summer after Utica was all about fitness. He came to camp in great shape but needed tons of work on his offensive game. Mostly his shot. As you pointed out before he was 3rd in the league 5on5 driving the play. Sadly his linemates were usually dowd or Archie or other career minor league players IMO. I am not sure how you feel about Granny. I love the fact he can literally play anywhere in the lineup and not hurt you. Sutter gets crapped on as does Edler. People bitch about the 3 new guys JB signed. I think Rousell is the new burrows. Plus he can really fly and play anywhere in the top 12. Anyone who would like to crap on Beagle Edler or Sutter I suggest you look at where our PK was before they got injured. (6th) Now 20th. Edler was on p[ace for  42 points.) He also said he would waive if the Nucks promised to resign him. We all know JB,s   word is gold. He will retire a Canuck and he will obviously take a hometown discount.

People Blame DP for Tanev having the worst plus/minus on the team, Yet DP has been a plus the entire year, so not sure about that logic The only reason Eagle is a minus 5. Is the same reason Brock and Bo were minus 7 around the same time Edler went down. The team suffered a couple of blowout losses and our top line just happened to be on the ice when the other team's top line scored some softies and some nice goals. Eagle up to his injury was playing quite well. In Tanevs defense. I think him and DP just don't mesh that well. Nobody,s fault. Maybe it is time to get OJ up here and park Zotto who is gone after the season and see if OJ meshes with guys like Tanev or Guddy or Stech. I think as well as our left side has played compared to last year. I'm curious  Who is gone? Hutton who I eat with humility. Crow pie Due to the fact, I downright hated him Zotto and the 2nd piece of pie Stecher.

Call me crazy but I think in no order Woo Hughes Rathbone and maybe Brisbois?  I truly think Edler stays. Leaving us a logjam at left, and very thin on the right. Especially if they trade Tanev if we fall off a cliff. Sorry completely out of nowhere. Out of nowhere but what crap luck for Demko. I think with Nillson breaking his finger. The fact the Canucks have played 12 road games and 7 home game. Demko would have been the backup without a question Literally the perfect situation. People can dog Marky all they want. On this road trip where he played 5 games and 1 back to back. He got points in 3 games and was on a 3 game streak prior to that. This team IMO is 1a 1b.. Where you ride the hot hand. Especially when so many key defensive players are hurt. Plus we have Sven and Brock missing. Just as they were playing there best hockey of the year.

sorry to just change course. I am half awake and apologize for the length 0of this post. Just so much is playing out in front of us and what got this all going for me was people saying here is the typical Canucks. Great start the fall off a cliff. That infuriates me. Despite our injuries that keep piling on to our best players for the position they play. We have still managed to endure the toughest schedule by far in the NHL and that's saying something. Real quick about Marky. I think the games where were seeing 56 goals. Has a lot to do with who is out of the lineup. Not sure John Gibson could do much better lol  Props to Miller as well. Why people mock JB for that is beyond me. We had the cap room Plus no #1 at the time. Jacob haters who refuse to see how many games stops he made. Had a good mentor in Ryan. Plus coming to Steches defense beautiful.

15 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

We're not bring Edler back AND signing a top RD in free agency. We don't have the money for that.

Not true at all:

On 2018-11-08 at 11:05 AM, aGENT said:

People seem to have trouble grasping how the puzzle pieces fit over time with vets contracts expiring.

This summer alone, between MDZ, Nilsson and Dorsett coming off the books, we gain another $8m of cap (on top of the +/- $8m space we currently have). And that doesn't include Edler's $5m (assuming he's back/a wash) or some of the smaller (largely RFA) contracts we might move/let walk or in Hutton's case, likely will be close to a wash on a re-sign.

The year following, Schaller, Tanev, Markstrom and Gagner represent another $13m'ish (granted a few million will likely be needed for a goalie, Markstrom or otherwise).

Year after that...Sutter, Baer and Gudbranson = $12m

The year after that (if we don't trade some of these guys beforehand) Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel =  another $12m. (As well as likely Edler's potential extension).

Now try and tell me that's not enough money to cover raises to a few high earning guys (Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes are likely the big three we'll need to 'worry about' over that time period). And by that point we're now 1/2 way through Karlsson's theoretical 7 year deal and replacing more expensive depth guys with other prospects on ELC/bridge deals.

It's so not a problem it's actually funny when people bring it up as one.

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t think we have evidence yet to assume he can be used in matchups - at least not against other teams’ top lines - he hasn’t shown that he can defend well enough yet.  

Like I said a few pages ago:

On 2018-11-08 at 12:00 PM, aGENT said:

Thing is, is that he's shown to adapt to that at every new level he's played. Same as last year in Finland. He started slowly there looking 'behind', 'not focused enough', 'not strong enough' etc and by the end of the years was arguably their best D.

I believe this is what they refer to as development ;)

He's already appeared to have started turning that corner in Utica and I expect will also be their best D and far more sound defensively in the latter half of their season. I also fully expect he'd follow that same pattern when he gets to the NHL level. Start slow, occasional struggles defensively as he adapts to the higher level, speed, skill etc and slowly over a year or so become far better.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not true at all:

Like I said a few pages ago:

He's already appeared to have started turning that corner in Utica and I expect will also be their best D and far more sound defensively in the latter half of their season. I also fully expect he'd follow that same pattern when he gets to the NHL level. Start slow, occasional struggles defensively as he adapts to the higher level, speed, skill etc and slowly over a year or so become far better.

In regards to cap, the max cap will also likely rise each year.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

In regards to cap, the max cap will also likely rise each year.

Yup, that too. Seattle expansion alone is going to massively boost revenue and hence cap.

Like I said, it's funny when people bring the cap up as a 'problem'. We're INCREDIBLY well positioned.

On 11/14/2018 at 11:07 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Are we going to have to pretend that it's "found money" if and when Olli actually turns out to be pretty much the exact player we hoped we were drafting at 5th overall?

I expect that'll be the reaction of many of those people who wrote this kid off.

The example of Virtanen should be sufficient to answer that.

The difference with Juolevi compared to Jake and many other prospects is that he has outstanding hockey sense and IQ.  He not only has physical skills but knows HOW to play the game at a high level -- EP-like.  The no-look passes he pulls off are testament to that.  It's a matter of maturity -- Jake and others were no different, we have to remember these are just kids we're talking about.  Once his will and maturity catches up with the rest of him and he buckles down, we're going to have a very valuable asset on this team, one that is rare.

• Cheers 1