The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 11/14/2018 at 11:17 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we landed a top 4 RD in FA next season

I can see that as well, but it depends on what happens with Edler and there are also rumblings about what's happening in Russia, according to HW:

But I have heard, not injury related, that Trymankin’s agent is looking at the possibility of Trymankin returning as soon as the KHL season is done. He is exploring the possibility of Trymankin getting released and if the Canucks would make room for him at the end of the season, a 2-3 year deal burning a year this season. He’s not happy right now and his agent is trying to use that to get him a mutual termination of his contract. Could be just rumours planted to get someone’s attention as Benning has expressed interest but hasn’t as of yet been actively involved in making it happen.

And further take:

Remember Trymankin's agent spoke with Benning at the combine? he was trying to engage the Canucks about Trymankin's return. Benning has said all the right things but isn't playing the sucker. Trymankin went home once after the Canucks did everything to get him here and once here, at least to start his first camp, he showed up out of shape and refused to go to Utica, even for conditioning. Then he shocks the Canucks and bolts back to Russia. I doubt the Canucks will bend over backwards to accommodate him again. they hold his rights so there is no hurry on their part.

I think these rumours are coming from his agents camp. trying to start a dialogue? The Canucks would welcome him back with open arms but they want him to get himself here without preconditions. Thats my take anyway. now that he has hit rough patch in Russia he wants to bolt again. Let him play out his contract and then sit down and negotiate.

He or a re-signed Edler would certainly come cheaper than a UFA like Myers or such, not that money and cap are a big concern for the next few years anyway.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I can see that as well, but it depends on what happens with Edler and there are also rumblings about what's happening in Russia, according to HW:

And further take:

He or a re-signed Edler would certainly come cheaper than a UFA like Myers or such, not that money and cap are a big concern for the next few years anyway.

I've been saying for awhile now I suspect the Nucks go hard after E Karlsson this summer. Scary in that which Karlsson is the real EK. Either way EK makes our team better.

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

I've been saying for awhile now I suspect the Nucks go hard after E Karlsson this summer. Scary in that which Karlsson is the real EK. Either way EK makes our team better.

Not beyond believability, especially with the team's turnaround and EP shining so brightly, but really hope they don't give him massive bucks long-term.  Will be most important to see how he does this year, the past surgery and all being a primary consideration.  Adding him in would be huge though, imagining each pairings with EK, Hughes, and Juolevi -- what a difference in mobility and puck-moving, will be like night and day.  With all the other kids a year older, the Canucks would minimally be considered a playoff team.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not beyond believability, especially with the team's turnaround and EP shining so brightly, but really hope they don't give him massive bucks long-term.  Will be most important to see how he does this year, the past surgery and all being a primary consideration.  Adding him in would be huge though, imagining each pairings with EK, Hughes, and Juolevi -- what a difference in mobility and puck-moving, will be like night and day.  With all the other kids a year older, the Canucks would minimally be considered a playoff team.

Ya, signing EK is an exciting yet worrisome proposal. For me, I'd sooner have EK at 9 per than a Meyers at 6 per. Or in around those numbers for both. I was dead against going after EK in trade but man would this team look better with him back there. With the emergence of EP and the continued growth in all our young players I gotta say I am excited to think that signing EK is a possibility.

22 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ya, signing EK is an exciting yet worrisome proposal. For me, I'd sooner have EK at 9 per than a Meyers at 6 per. Or in around those numbers for both. I was dead against going after EK in trade but man would this team look better with him back there. With the emergence of EP and the continued growth in all our young players I gotta say I am excited to think that signing EK is a possibility.

EK can reel in more that 9. He's been the best offensive Dman is the league for years. He'll get close to top dollar.

59 minutes ago, cyoung said:

EK can reel in more that 9. He's been the best offensive Dman is the league for years. He'll get close to top dollar.

I agree. But his value drops if he doesnt pick it up this year. Also, there are only so many teams that can afford him within their cap yet still offer a chance at the playoffs. Or in our case, a very up and coming group of kids. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree. But his value drops if he doesnt pick it up this year. Also, there are only so many teams that can afford him within their cap yet still offer a chance at the playoffs. Or in our case, a very up and coming group of kids. 

He knows he's playing for the contract of his life. That's quite a bit of pressure on top of people expecting him to bring a cup to San Jose. I love watching him play So I hope he picks it up.

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

On 2018-11-08 at 10:08 AM, aGENT said:

Honestly, a team could probably get him with a heavily front loaded deal at something close to that ($8.5-$9M) even without a 'discount'.

Something like:

$14 ($4m signing bonus), $10, $10, $8, $8, $6, $4 = $60 / 7 years = $8.57 AAV

Imagine a D core next year something like:

Edler, Karlsson

Hughes, Tanev (Tanev likely moved at TDL though)

Hutton/Juolevi, Gudbranson/Stecher (injuries/opponent dependent)

That's a damn good D core.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

He knows he's playing for the contract of his life. That's quite a bit of pressure on top of people expecting him to bring a cup to San Jose. I love watching him play So I hope he picks it up.

Ya. I never thought it a good fit in SJ. EK is an Alpha right shot dman and SJ already has that in Burns. 

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Imagine a D core next year something like:

Edler, Karlsson

Hughes, Tanev (Tanev likely moved at TDL though)

That's a damn good D core.

Edler would be a great fit with EK. Edler would just focus on D. It would be reminiscent of the EK and Methot pairing but maybe even better.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Behind the Athletics' paywall - Halford talked to assistant coach Gary Agnew.  Link in tweet below.  Italics are Agnew's words

His offensive game is solid especially on the powerplay where Agnew says he has been getting most of his points - sees him as a power play type of guy (see quote below).  His defensive game needs work but is improving.  Says he is receptive to coaching and is always asking questions to improve.

Talks about how he needs to be closing in quicker.  On the pace of the game: "you’ve got to be able to do it at this level before you do it at that level."

On the minuses: "Certainly he’s not fully responsible for all those minuses. But when there’s a little bit of a trend, there’s a trend."

Very complimentary of his offensive game where he can make plays in high pressured situations. On making plays under duress as a positive for the next level:

It’s certainly a positive, and it’s something he’ll have to adjust to when that takes place.  But again, he’s a guy that’s going to be a power-play type of guy when he gets there, and as long as he can get the other facets of his game down — which he is doing — he should be able to get there at some point, and stay there. Which is another goal, obviously. You don’t want a guy that goes up early, then comes down and takes a while to recover.

I think that’s the type of guy he’s going to be. A good puck-moving, solid defenceman that can add offensively and hopefully defend the right way.

He doesn't know how it's going to translate overall but his style of play is similar to Olli Maatta's.

On readiness: "I think that Chatfield, Brisebois and even [Ashton] Sautner are call-ups that are certainly closer at this point to being NHL full-timers." He doesn't think Juolevi is far away.

He says Brisbois, Chatfield and Sauntner are NHL ready for call up. Hard to digest that when the biggest critic of Utica is their defense. In any event come spring I would be quite happy to see MDZ, Pouliot (if he hasn't turned it around) and even Stecher sit to have these 3 and Joulevi rotate thru for some NHL TOI. I am being a touch negative on Stecher since it is only his 2nd season. However I do ask myself the question of where Stecher fits in long term if he cannot play PP minutes. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

He says Brisbois, Chatfield and Sauntner are NHL ready for call up. Hard to digest that when the biggest critic of Utica is their defense. In any event come spring I would be quite happy to see MDZ, Pouliot (if he hasn't turned it around) and even Stecher sit to have these 3 and Joulevi rotate thru for some NHL TOI. I am being a touch negative on Stecher since it is only his 2nd season. However I do ask myself the question of where Stecher fits in long term if he cannot play PP minutes. 

Stecher will stick around for a bit due to his right shot imo. I don't see any one ready to take any spots on the right side. 

As for Juolevi it's becoming more and more apparent that it's his skating that is holding him back. He might need a solid offseason of working on his skating before he can make the jump and be able to defend against NHL level skaters. I have always seen Maata as a good comparable, a guy who has notoriously slow feet but has made a solid career as a quality NHL defender. Maybe not as quality as many hoped but still good. Maybe Juolevi will have more offensive upside though.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Stecher will stick around for a bit due to his right shot imo. I don't see any one ready to take any spots on the right side. 

As for Juolevi it's becoming more and more apparent that it's his skating that is holding him back. He might need a solid offseason of working on his skating before he can make the jump and be able to defend against NHL level skaters. I have always seen Maata as a good comparable, a guy who has notoriously slow feet but has made a solid career as a quality NHL defender. Maybe not as quality as many hoped but still good. Maybe Juolevi will have more offensive upside though.

I think a lot of it has to do with Juolevi being injured in the offseasons the last couple years. Last offseason he had back surgery so thats really going to cut down on your leg strength coming into the season and it may cause you to question how physical you can be as well.

I still think we have a really solid defensemen on our hands, maybe not top pairing but easily a #3 guy. Besides you can teach defence to almost anyone but you cant learn offence.

Hughes-_____

Juolevi-Woo

Hutton-Stecher

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Can’t figure the Canucks usage of Pouliot considering that Hutton and Stetcher are tied for most points as defencemen and Pouliot has the least of any defender playing more than 15 games. But that is also why I can’t see sitting Stetcher - he is pretty sound defensively and he can move the puck with his wheels or the pass.