Juolevi 2 assist tonight so 13GP - 9 PTS .. Hope he continues to put up points and run the power play..

Should see him after Xmas.... Don't want to rush him as he is learning lots and having fun with Utica...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Off topic to some extent.

these are concern fans from Lighting fans, on Shergechev, who some Canuck fans are saying we should have picked.  Other then his hot start, he has dropped back down to earth I assume, teams have figured him out.  Shergechev isn't doing too well right now.

Highly sheltered, on a much better team no less. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I see a team breakdown. Either it was OJ’s guy and the other player was supposed to let OJ pick up the guy going around the net, or OJ blew his position in front of the net by chasing the puck. 

Young players adjusting to new systems and players. This will happen. No biggie.  

It's not just the one play but a common pattern with him - albeit less so than it was in years prior. He's learning how to have consistent compete levels on every shift, which is something that most young guys need to learn (see V18 as an example). He is learning and catching on, though, so I don't worry too much about him at all. This is just the main area I've been finding since the beginning with him that he has needed to work on, and he's slowly getting there. 

It's great to see him putting up points, which I've always felt he's been unrrated with by many on CDC. I've ways felt that he can be our next edler in the top 2 who can put up 40pts for us. Man, him and Hughes will be solidifying our backend for a few cups. 

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

It's not just the one play but a common pattern with him - albeit less so than it was in years prior. He's learning how to have consistent compete levels on every shift, which is something that most young guys need to learn (see V18 as an example). He is learning and catching on, though, so I don't worry too much about him at all. This is just the main area I've been finding since the beginning with him that he has needed to work on, and he's slowly getting there. 

It's great to see him putting up points, which I've always felt he's been unrrated with by many on CDC. I've ways felt that he can be our next edler in the top 2 who can put up 40pts for us. Man, him and Hughes will be solidifying our backend for a few cups. 

Don't sleep on Rathbone. Still early but 6 points in 3 games and now paling on the top line with Adam Fox a JR. Who flat out told cAlgareyno. Due to rhe logjam they have. Canes gonna have the same problem. Maybe Rathbone who said he wants to turn pro asap can bring Fox lol, Lots of room for a guy who is a right shot with 8 points in 3 games. Rathbone would have gone quite high if he played in the USHL instead of HS. I remember talk of him being one of the top DA of his draft class. But scouts didn't like the comp he was playing  Against. cannon of a shot. Cheers.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Thing is, is that he's shown to adapt to that at every new level he's played. Same as last year in Finland. He started slowly there looking 'behind', 'not focused enough', 'not strong enough' etc and by the end of the years was arguably their best D.

I believe this is what they refer to as development ;)

13 hours ago, mpass1 said:

Just some food for thought.... Thomas Chabot 20 year old AHL numbers: 13GP 2G 5A -7PTS  minus 10   vs Juolevi  20 year old AHL numbers:13 GP 1G 8A -9 PTS minus 8   

How dare you sir! Players aren't allowed to take time to adjust to new levels and develop their games! They are either NHL'ers by their D+1 or they're busts!

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Thing is, is that he's shown to adapt to that at every new level he's played. Same as last year in Finland. He started slowly there looking 'behind', 'not focused enough', 'not strong enough' etc and by the end of the years was arguably their best D.

I believe this is what they refer to as development ;)

How dare you sir! Players aren't allowed to take time to adjust to new levels and develop their games! They are either NHL'ers by their D+1 or they're busts!

Pretty sure this is what I've been saying he's been doing. I can't tell if you read my posts as negative or positive, but they surely have not been the former. 

36 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Pretty sure this is what I've been saying he's been doing. I can't tell if you read my posts as negative or positive, but they surely have not been the former. 

I was agreeing with you ;)

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

People crapping on players honing their skill in the AHL are basically crapping on about 90% of the players in the NHL and about 90% of the coaches too (who are also grads).

17-18openingnight-714x1024.jpg

Kind of curious how the AHL came up with this -- for example, the Lightning had 25 AHL grads on an opening night roster of 23?  Off the top of my head, Stamkos, Hedman and Point jumped straight to the NHL, there may be others.  But that makes their opening night roster at least 28 players...

And do players like Larkin count?  He played in the AHL for a few games after his college season ended, but went straight to the NHL after.  There are also CHL prospects who played games with the AHL after their junior seasons ended, but went straight to the NHL when they turned pro.  What about someone like Stecher, who played 4 games in the AHL (or Gaudette if he never returns)?  Is that a grad?  Seems a bit disingenuous to include them, I doubt Stecher would've turned out any differently had he just sat in the press box in the NHL for 4 games.

Anyways, not doubting that AHL is a development path that many take, the numbers just feel a bit goosed... which is a pet peeve of mine.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Upvote 1

^^I'd imagine they're including the coaches in those totals.

And probably counting any player with at least 1GP in the AHL (including conditioning stints and ATOs).

So yeah, probably "goosed" a little bit. But no denying the AHL plays a huge role in developing players nonetheless.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

^^I'd imagine they're including the coaches in those totals.

And probably counting any player with at least 1GP in the AHL (including conditioning stints and ATOs).

So yeah, probably "goosed" a little bit. But no denying the AHL plays a huge role in developing players nonetheless.

Ya kinda thinking it should be like minimum x amount of games. Hard to get an accurate number of true graduates, well not hard but would need to do research haha. 

I remember when Horvat went down to the Utica for that brief 5 game stint his rookie year and people were freaking out that he went pointless over that stretch. He also had that stretch in his sophomore year where he went forever without finding the back of the net and again some on here freaked out. His progression was a long one (in comparison to the instant impact guys we've been fortunate to have like Boeser and EP) but few would complain the way he's playing now. 

I think Juolevi can still be that top pairing defenceman for us, people just need to have patience (which on here is a tough ask I know). Oh and for the record, Horvat is a career -48 for the Canucks including a minus 3 on the year as of writing this post despite our hot start. I guess by some people's logic on here, he sucks as well?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Kind of curious how the AHL came up with this -- for example, the Lightning had 25 AHL grads on an opening night roster of 23?  Off the top of my head, Stamkos, Hedman and Point jumped straight to the NHL, there may be others.  But that makes their opening night roster at least 28 players...

And do players like Larkin count?  He played in the AHL for a few games after his college season ended, but went straight to the NHL after.  There are also CHL prospects who played games with the AHL after their junior seasons ended, but went straight to the NHL when they turned pro.  What about someone like Stecher, who played 4 games in the AHL (or Gaudette if he never returns)?  Is that a grad?  Seems a bit disingenuous to include them, I doubt Stecher would've turned out any differently had he just sat in the press box in the NHL for 4 games.

Anyways, not doubting that AHL is a development path that many take, the numbers just feel a bit goosed... which is a pet peeve of mine.

This was a promo piece from AHL and includes players in IR too etc.    That is how I understand the math.   The point was for those who think that somehow if you spend a season in the AHL you are somehow a lesser prospect.    That is just a silly thing to say as it is so at odds with reality.    In this age of "fake news", I thought we could try and avoid that on CDC.

• Hydration 1

High offensive upside than I was expecting. It's hard to score in the AHL. See pretty much all first year pros. I can't wait to see him for a call up. 

Juolevi is looking good. Every defenseman makes mistakes -- some more than others -- but as other posters and management/coaches have said Juolevi is progressing and playing better as of late. Could be due to the "transition period" of getting up to speed to the AHL level.

EDIT: It will be interesting to see how much his game improves once Canuck regulars Edler, Sutter, and Beagle get back to full health and the trickle down effect to the Comets. Gaudette and Chatfield are up here, and I think Boucher is still injured too?

Edited by Blömqvist

On 11/7/2018 at 10:04 PM, mpass1 said:

Just some food for thought.... Thomas Chabot 20 year old AHL numbers: 13GP 2G 5A -7PTS  minus 10   vs Juolevi  20 year old AHL numbers:13 GP 1G 8A -9 PTS minus 8   

Good one....and Chabot is looking like a strong Norris candidate already...!

Oli is only months away from being our best offensive D.,...!....until Quinn comes...

• Hydration 1