The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

So anyone can give an objective assessment so far for juolevi? So far I have heard nothing but bad things except for the usual normal praises like good IQ, sees ice well and etc

we are so screwed non d if juolevi doesn’t pan out..... again, why was he ranked the top D man in that draft if he is so easily knocked off the puck then?

36 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

So anyone can give an objective assessment so far for juolevi? So far I have heard nothing but bad things except for the usual normal praises like good IQ, sees ice well and etc

we are so screwed non d if juolevi doesn’t pan out..... again, why was he ranked the top D man in that draft if he is so easily knocked off the puck then?

Where is your information about Olli coming from that you have heard nothing but bad things?

He worked his way up from low pairing, to top pairing work horse in Finlands best league last year as a young player.

In late October the province wrote a piece saying he was doing well in his progression. He is sitting tied for 3rd in rookie D scoring in the AHL, on a bad Utica team. Cull, Benning, and Johnson have all said they are happy with his progression. 

I can tell you from the games I watched he looks like a very promising young player. 

Just curious to how one comes up with "nothing but bad"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Just curious to how one comes up with "nothing but bad"

I have a feeling he's also from hfboards.com.  They seem to only high lite the negatives surrounding Olli Juolevi, and totally out right ignore any positive. if you follow the Olli Juolevi thread in that forum, you will see "nothing but bad" comments, actually it's "nothing but bad" towards many players there, what am I saying. 

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

There are a lot of posters on CDC that want and seem to need, instant gratification when it comes to certain players. Olli may be taking a bit longer in becoming a top notch D man than some other players but if the end product turns out to be as good or perhaps even better than a lot of them are projecting they are going to look pretty stupid. Case in point is all the crap thrown at Jake Virtanen. Not hearing very much now from all the posters that were decreeing that he was a bust. Is this is the same Jake Virtanen that has a goal and an assist in tonight's game so far? Patience grasshoppers, Olli is trending in the right direction and will be a very good defense man when he arrives.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

How would he know? Nobody could know except the coaches or the players themselves. Can we ask them?

This poster has had very to the point analysis of each player in Utica for years.  I put weight on their opinion.

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This poster has had very to the point analysis of each player in Utica for years.  I put weight on their opinion.

If he wasn't a grumpy old man pining for the days of the Utica Devils then I might. He hasn't praised any of the Canucks prospects and I need to hear an equal amount of praise for all of the crap that's been heaping on these 20 year olds. They can't all suck can they? How could they have even won a game with how bad they are perceived to be?

16 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

If he wasn't a grumpy old man pining for the days of the Utica Devils then I might. He hasn't praised any of the Canucks prospects and I need to hear an equal amount of praise for all of the crap that's been heaping on these 20 year olds. They can't all suck can they? How could they have even won a game with how bad they are perceived to be?

I take the good with the bad.  But I'm patient:)

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Lol.  My buddy STILL thinks he was a homerun.

I still think of him as Nolen "Stefan" Patrick

Patrick was a good pick.

Was he the single best pick they could could have made?  It does not look like it at the moment. But still a solid selection.

Would the Canucks have oicked Patrick? We'll never know. But MacKenzies pole of ten NHL GM's had him consensus top 2.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I take the good with the bad.  But I'm patient:)

Here's an update from someone who follows the Comets for a living.  Utica Observer-Dispatch's Ben Birnell discusses Juolevi's growth and strengths/ weaknesses to Sportsnet:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-playbook/juolevi-thriving-utica-injury/

He talks Juolevi from 1:30 to 3:50, goes on to Dahlen and Palmu, then Gadjovich, Jasek and Demko later on.  Also says he thinks Cull/ Utica is in sync with Green/ Canucks in terms of making sure players play the same style so they're ready for call ups.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

OJ is on track.  He always was.  D+1 he takes on a much  tougher role with the knights and maintains his scoring.  D+2 

He goes back to Finland, becomes the 2nd best rookie defenseman in Ligia history.  Only to play in the same year as the best rookie defenseman in Ligia history.  

As a skinny, skilled cerebral player, OJ's hurdle was always physical.  That's why he is in the AHL in his d+3 year.  His injuries have been minor, his progress has been steady.  

For reference, he is 20 years old and by no means a finished product.  That's normal.  Expecting a defenseman to make the NHL as a 20 year old is rare.  For once the club is doing the right thing and taking time with a key prospect and they are getting flamed for it.  

The same guys were flaming the same club for rushing Virtannen and McCann   

Good post.  I mostly agree with you.  He has tracked well statistically but when I've watched him, only one game this season and a few last year, he has some bad turnovers on top of lacking dominate physical play.  This is fine.  People expect the 5th overall draft pick to perform like a 5th overall draft pick in a re-draft scenario, which I don't think is fair.

On the topic of rushing players, I think it is more complicated than just devolpment.  For virtanen, this is complete conjecture, he needed a more professional environment than junior provides.  I don't think it was a devolpment thing. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

He's doing just fine. He is an AHL rookie playing 20+ minutes a game against full grown MEN on the other teams top line, the biggest concern with him was his offensive upside and he has 13pts in 18 games. Still some work to do on small details like gap control and getting physically stronger but with his high hockey IQ and large frame he should be just dandy. 

13 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Here's an update from someone who follows the Comets for a living.  Utica Observer-Dispatch's Ben Birnell discusses Juolevi's growth and strengths/ weaknesses to Sportsnet:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-playbook/juolevi-thriving-utica-injury/

He talks Juolevi from 1:30 to 3:50, goes on to Dahlen and Palmu, then Gadjovich, Jasek and Demko later on.  Also says he thinks Cull/ Utica is in sync with Green/ Canucks in terms of making sure players play the same style so they're ready for call ups.

I'm sure glad Green talks to Cull from time to time, unlike other coaches from the past who had a short and dismal time as a Canuck.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What fantasy world do some people live in to come up with such stuff?

why would you snip and quote that out of context as if it were all i said?  i gave three scenarios.  there are several posts here stating my views on this player.

Edited by krutovsdonut

On 12/6/2018 at 7:05 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I have a feeling he's also from hfboards.com.  They seem to only high lite the negatives surrounding Olli Juolevi, and totally out right ignore any positive. if you follow the Olli Juolevi thread in that forum, you will see "nothing but bad" comments, actually it's "nothing but bad" towards many players there, what am I saying. 

Have to wonder what they said about Pettersson throughout his brilliant D+1 season, or Hughes now.  Imagine they were relatively silent, aside from snide quips about his weight.

• Like 1