2018 Noah Dobson

Vancouver Canucks picks

2013 Horvat

2014 Virtanen

2015 Boeser

2016 Juolevi

2017 Pettersson

2018 Hughes

We can dump on the Canucks for making the wrong picks, at the same time, you can say he's bailed out the team by not going for what the fans wanted.  Anyone who choses the first section of players is a total moron.    If the fans ran the draft table, today we will be without a number 1 and number 2 centreman.  Imagine taking out Horvat and Pettersson and inserting Vilardi and Nikushkin, my gosh we will be in the running for Jack Hughes.  

this is why we are fans, and not paid professional.  It's hard to get it right every time, I still believe Juolevi can be a Tanev like impact player, a number 3ish dman which is also very important as Craig Button said.

I agree with all but the last one. I think Canuck nation was exsatitc when Hughes was still there at our draft spot.  I think very few wanted Dobson over Hughes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree with all but the last one. I think Canuck nation was exsatitc when Hughes was still there at our draft spot.  I think very few wanted Dobson over Hughes. 

Agree, I wanted Dobson only because I was sure that Hughes wouldn't be on the board at 7.  Thanks to Montreal and Arizona for picking for need.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, rekker said:

There are morons that wanted ?Dobson over Hughes, but thankfully JB isn’t one of the moron crowd.  Hughes will prove to be the best player in his draft, just like Pettersson is doing.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

hindsight 20/20

media and fans picks

2013 Valeri Nikushkin

2014 Nylander

2015 Brandon Carlo

2016 Mathew Tkachuk

2017 Vilardi 

2018 Noah Dobson

Vancouver Canucks picks

2013 Horvat

2014 Virtanen

2015 Boeser

2016 Juolevi

2017 Pettersson

2018 Hughes

We can dump on the Canucks for making the wrong picks, at the same time, you can say he's bailed out the team by not going for what the fans wanted.  Anyone who choses the first section of players is a total moron.    If the fans ran the draft table, today we will be without a number 1 and number 2 centreman.  Imagine taking out Horvat and Pettersson and inserting Vilardi and Nikushkin, my gosh we will be in the running for Jack Hughes.  

this is why we are fans, and not paid professional.  It's hard to get it right every time, I still believe Juolevi can be a Tanev like impact player, a number 3ish dman which is also very important as Craig Button said.

that being said, if you want to cry about Tkachuk, then we can't have Pettersson.  Tkachuk made the NHL with the Calgary Flames, he sure as hell would have made the Vancouver Canucks. Theres no way we can have both.   Time to move on guys, very disappointing, he loses a year of development, but the chapter on the Juolevi pick is far from over, faaaaaaaaar from over.    

Only two questionable picks in the first round in the last 6 years (McCann was a decent pick as well) and Juolevi still has a lot of potential IMO and Shinkaruk was moved and it's safe to say we got a decent player out of him and was a Gillis regime pick.

I honestly don't how and why people still seem to harp on our GM over Juolevi with the track record he has given. Let's say Juolevi is a bust and some may feel he has to be to justify their long standing stance, Benning still has had an incredible 1st round resume and that's not even including the later rounds. We may not need more "lottery tickets" when we are making the ones we have count. This is why I feel we still need some vets to help with the development of the talent we are bringing in and not feeling the need to offload all expiring contracts (eg Edler).

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

hindsight 20/20

media and fans picks

2013 Valeri Nikushkin

2014 Nylander

2015 Brandon Carlo

2016 Mathew Tkachuk

2017 Vilardi 

2018 Noah Dobson

Vancouver Canucks picks

2013 Horvat

2014 Virtanen

2015 Boeser

2016 Juolevi

2017 Pettersson

2018 Hughes

that being said, if you want to cry about Tkachuk, then we can't have Pettersson.  Tkachuk made the NHL with the Calgary Flames, he sure as hell would have made the Vancouver Canucks. Theres no way we can have both.   Time to move on guys, very disappointing, he loses a year of development, but the chapter on the Juolevi pick is far from over, faaaaaaaaar from over.    

Hughes was the pick everyone (Or at least the consensus) wanted. That's it though. Also, we need a player like Virtanen if we want to make a deep run into the playoffs. You all saw how ineffective a player like Nylander was for the leafs last year in the first round. I'm not saying I'd rather have Virtanen over Nylander. However, I am happy with how Jake has turned out and it looks like he is only getting better and better every year. As for Juolevi, well he hasn't even made the team yet. Even if he never does, why can't we get over the fact that not every pick is going to work out and just move on? We got the best player in the 2017 draft picking 5th overall, a Calder finalist from the 2015 draft picking 23rd overall, a 200ft workhorse Center who is going to be our Captain from the 2013 draft picking 9th overall, and a potentially franchise changing/defining #1 PMD from the 2018 draft at 7th overall. Is that not good enough for some of you here? Or does not having Matthew Tkachuk really affect you that heavily? If so, you are more than welcome to cheer for the Calgary Flames. It looks like they are doing better than us this year too, no need to be so upset at Benning anymore. Just go, lol.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I don't even recall reading about anyone going "Why didn't we pick Dobson?" other than maybe TheHockeyGuy on Youtube. I remember almost everyone on these forums seemed to be content about a draft pick for the first time that I've ever seen (I stress almost). lol

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, I don't even recall reading about anyone going "Why didn't we pick Dobson?" other than maybe TheHockeyGuy on Youtube. I remember almost everyone on these forums seemed to be content about a draft pick for the first time that I've ever seen (I stress almost). lol

Actually, funny enough, the last time cdc was all pretty much pleased as punch was when we picked Juolevi.

People remember we wanted Tkachuk but forget that we all collectively nodded in approval when Benning picked Juolevi instead.

It wasn’t until Tkachuk started and Juolevi didn’t that most defaulted/reverted back to their prior opinion.

I do think there is a bit of revisionist history with the Hughes pick. I very intentionally started a poll here about who everyone thought was the 2nd best dman of the 2018 draft. Quinn Hughes came 3rd at about 15%. People are right that Dobson wasn't thought to be better here but Boqvist did by a mile as well as Bouchard:

Edited by AK_19
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

hindsight 20/20

media and fans picks

2013 Valeri Nikushkin

2014 Nylander

2015 Brandon Carlo

2016 Mathew Tkachuk

2017 Vilardi 

2018 Noah Dobson

Vancouver Canucks picks

2013 Horvat

2014 Virtanen

2015 Boeser

2016 Juolevi

2017 Pettersson

2018 Hughes

I don’t consider myself a scout but come draft I become very vocal about my favourites. I only go extensive into about 3-4 rounds of guys and the higher we pick the more I pay attention to the guys coming into the draft. Since I’ve been really paying attention to the drafts these were my favs and anybody can go back and check if they don’t believe me.

1rst round Ehlers and McCann

2nd round Demko

3rd round Point

2015 we were a playoff team so I didn’t really pay much attention other than the first round and I wanted Konecny.

1rst round Tkachuk

2nd round Dahlen

3rd round Adam Fox or Cam Dineen

4th round Max Lajoie

5th round Dymitry Sokolov

6th round Ty Ronning

1rst round Pettersson

2nd round Hague and Chmelevski

Then I just kept complaining about Chmelevski because I liked him at the end of the 2nd and he lasted until the 6th round

1rst Boqvist

2nd Drury

3rd Wise

4th we traded but really wanted Fonstad and Dudas. Then they were gone for our 5th and I wanted Dunkley every round until the draft was over.

I don’t think I’ve done that bad for casually paying attention and picking favourites.

• Upvote 1

I honestly don’t remember many people in favour of Carlo, in fact quite the opposite.  Myself included. Many thought he lacked IQ and was just a benefactor of having gargantuan size and playing against kids in the WHL.  One of the guys I can say I had a terrible feeling about and proved me dead wrong. Can’t remember who the consensus was but I remember quite a few people giving Boeser’s praise.  I thought he showed some promise and would be a potential steal but didn’t think he would get taken in the first.  Glad we took the risk!

EDIT:  upon looking back I definitely remember a lot of uproar when we passed on Konecny, I’d say he’d be the consensus. Lots of hope that Barzal would fall to us too

Edited by Bilbro Baggins
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

hindsight 20/20

media and fans picks

2013 Valeri Nikushkin

2014 Nylander

2015 Brandon Carlo

2016 Mathew Tkachuk

2017 Vilardi 

2018 Noah Dobson

Vancouver Canucks picks

2013 Horvat

2014 Virtanen

2015 Boeser

2016 Juolevi

2017 Pettersson

2018 Hughes

The top 3 players out of all those guys are guys we picked- Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and I bet Hughes will also end up better than those guys 

37 minutes ago, nzan said:

Actually, funny enough, the last time cdc was all pretty much pleased as punch was when we picked Juolevi.

People remember we wanted Tkachuk but forget that we all collectively nodded in approval when Benning picked Juolevi instead.

It wasn’t until Tkachuk started and Juolevi didn’t that most defaulted/reverted back to their prior opinion.

I recall the Juolevi pick very differently from what you recall apparently. I recall a lot more strife when Juolevi was picked compared with Hughes. lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I recall the Juolevi pick very differently from what you recall apparently. I recall a lot more strife when Juolevi was picked compared with Hughes. lol

When Juiolevi was picked is was okay, but a bit disappointed we didn’t select MT.

When ?Hughes wS there for us at 7, I was friggin’ hysterical with disbelief at how stupid the other six teams were.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

When Juiolevi was picked is was okay, but a bit disappointed we didn’t select MT.

When ?Hughes wS there for us at 7, I was friggin’ hysterical with disbelief at how stupid the other six teams were.  

I think that's in no small part to Zadina getting picked by Detroit to be honest. Had Zadina been available for us and we had picked Hughes, then we might have had a few more battles on the forums. lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Fair enough, I’d say that the Juolevi pick was largely positive, but maybe with a bit of apprehension as Alfie has so eloquently stated...also buddy, there’s lots of Christmas left, go easy on that hooch, eh?!