The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:04 AM, Boudrias said:

What has changed in hockey finance since the Jets left Winnipeg? As the CDN$ continues to slide towards 60 cents the Canadian NHL franchises will again come under pressure. In the Jets case just imagine their struggle to re-up all their young talent. I can easily see them losing pieces because they cannot afford them. 

Probably the salary cap ;)

Bigger question is, how do teams like Florida and Arizona stay afloat?  At least the Jets (and Nordiques) get fans to their games, and it's the revenue sharing and other aspects that keep less-profitable teams afloat.

6 hours ago, gobi said:

I don't understand this part.  Why did the Jets had to match?  If it's between signing Keith vs the survival of the team, I'd choose the latter.

Same as any team has to do -- you have to keep your best young players, or else try to work out a trade like the Canucks did when Nedved was offer-sheeted.  Likewise there's scuttlebutt around about teams offer-sheeting the Leafs, not simply to get those players but to strap them financially by forcing them to match.  The Chicago offer sheet was over 1/3 of the entire 5-year deal up front, intentionally forcing Winnipeg's hand to pay now.  At that time, I think Winnipeg was on the brink of relocating, unsure if it had been made official yet.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Has anyone heard why Juolevi  was dropped off the TSN top prospect list? Is it because of injury and future playability or is it because of his play earlier this season?

Probably because TSN read these pages and felt obligated to mock the homered-up posters in here who have made it their life’s work to defend this pick while simultaneously dumping all over NHL PPG stud-power forward, MT.

I like OJ. I just wanted BT then. After years of being called a bad-fan hater in here, I’m here to ring the bell and see who shows up. 

How many more years do I have to wait for guys like Zepp et al to admit that MT is/was the better pick? Because, you know, Dmen take more time, just not the good ones like Seg, McAv, I’ve heard here, instead. 

No offense to OJ and no disrespect intended to him as a player, but he’s left off of the top prospects list because of all the reasons he should be, IMO. 

As an aside, the TSN list also gives a relatively old top-5 prospect group for the Canucks compared to other Canadian clubs. For 5 years of continued rebuilding, I think that list was a surprise, even if kids like EP didn’t stay prospects, as you’d expect from a team in its rebuild years of constant top draft picks. 

Captain Obvious says that higher mean age is just because a few of the Canuck kids can’t be called prospects any longer and aren’t on that list isn’t, but that’s just an excuse because each team has the same issue, so they cancel out. 

I wish I had the time to mine this thread for the gold it contains, especially the predictions about MT.

As many of us said at the time of that draft, MT was the BPA, but we drafted OJ instead, which was largely said to be hate, trolling and plain ignorance in this thread. Is it still? Homers. 

Hate-Fact of the day:

Unless OJ has manages a near Norris-level career, with such a late start, comparatively, this case is all but closed on who the BPA was. 

Beyond that blast from the past, I hope the kid recovers to have an excellent career here. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Probably because TSN read these pages and felt obligated to mock the homered-up posters in here who have made it their life’s work to defend this pick while simultaneously dumping all over NHL PPG stud-power forward, MT.

I like OJ. I just wanted BT then. After years of being called a bad-fan hater in here, I’m here to ring the bell and see who shows up. 

How many more years do I have to wait for guys like Zepp et al to admit that MT is/was the better pick? Because, you know, Dmen take more time, just not the good ones like Seg, McAv, I’ve heard here, instead. 

No offense to OJ and no disrespect intended to him as a player, but he’s left off of the top prospects list because of all the reasons he should be, IMO. 

As an aside, the TSN list also gives a relatively old top-5 prospect group for the Canucks compared to other Canadian clubs. For 5 years of continued rebuilding, I think that list was a surprise, even if kids like EP didn’t stay prospects, as you’d expect from a team in its rebuild years of constant top draft picks. 

Captain Obvious says that higher mean age is just because a few of the Canuck kids can’t be called prospects any longer and aren’t on that list isn’t, but that’s just an excuse because each team has the same issue, so they cancel out. 

I wish I had the time to mine this thread for the gold it contains, especially the predictions about MT.

As many of us said at the time of that draft, MT was the BPA, but we drafted OJ instead, which was largely said to be hate, trolling and plain ignorance in this thread. Is it still? Homers. 

Hate-Fact of the day:

Unless OJ has manages a near Norris-level career, with such a late start, comparatively, this case is all but closed on who the BPA was. 

Beyond that blast from the past, I hope the kid recovers to have an excellent career here. 

These hindsight posts are a complete waste of everyone's time. Who's to say MT even develops on our team considering how far behind we are in a rebuild. Juolevi maybe cracks a deep Calgary roster and looks like a stud. Then you'd be on here bitching and moaning that we're weak on D and nothing on the horizon. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hate-Fact of the day:

Don't think anyone is saying olli is better than MT at the moment. The time of the selection juolevi was a great prospect, it's been unfortunate that he's been having such bad luck. 

I think people are more so supporting a young guy who is trying his best. You know, like good people. MT isn't in our organization, Olli is. 

On 1/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, JoshuaGuy said:

These hindsight posts are a complete waste of everyone's time. Who's to say MT even develops on our team considering how far behind we are in a rebuild. Juolevi maybe cracks a deep Calgary roster and looks like a stud. Then you'd be on here bitching and moaning that we're weak on D and nothing on the horizon. 

Does hindsight include the routine of getting gang banged in this thread by the superior-fans in here concerning the pick, since day one of this thread, for expressing an unpopular, but qualified opinion of the pick? 

You do know what hindsight means, right? What a waste of time, agreed.

Should have just picked MT and had a star, not a prospect, which I’m sure you’ll see expressed by myself and others in the first 400 pages of this support-group-hug of a thread on defending the pick, which has provided the most waste of time posts, ever, in hindsight, as I’ve heard said elsewhere. 

The ‘what ifs’ game here is a staple pastime for those who seek excuses. I’m not interested. 

As far as bright horizons go, no, it’s still not so bright on D, but picking OJ over MT hasn’t made it any brighter as of today. The bitching about the D is for others, I wanted the projected clutch power forwards over a #2-4, reliable, but unphysical, Dman. Of all the Dmen available at the top, I’d not have rushed to select OJ, but whatever, that’s all in the back pages here, as are the plethora of insults hurried my way for such a view. 

The TSN list isn’t a crystal ball, but it is telling, which is a side point in my revisiting this support group’s covered shelter from its past $&!#ting on the opinions of others who at ince disagreed with the pick. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Don't think anyone is saying olli is better than MT at the moment. The time of the selection juolevi was a great prospect, it's been unfortunate that he's been having such bad luck. 

I think people are more so supporting a young guy who is trying his best. You know, like good people. MT isn't in our organization, Olli is. 

No, you’d hope nobody would be saying OJ is better, today, at least. 

Good that good people support the pick, a Canucks pick, no question.

What I’m saying is that all the insults personal attacks for those who disagreed with the pick, which are there if you choose to look, look even more petty and foolish today and that I doubt anybody is willing to admit to being in that camp here and now. Maybe if you had a dog in the fight, like I do, you’d not just brush off the whole things as easily, today. 

1 hour ago, Darius said:

I dont see the point of retrospective "lets rub it in" posts.  Were you so high on the EP pick?  Prob not.  Im just assuming.  If we went with your BPA theory would they have picked EP?

Fact of the matter is on draft day OJ was generally regarded as the best D man in the draft.  This view was espoused by Bob McKenzie who wrote an article about it right before the draft.  After talking to a bunch of scouts from around the league he basically said that OJ was the most coveted D man, and aside from the top 3 players, he was ranked right in there in the next tier along with MT.

MT has turned out better than expected, even the guys that picked 3rd and 4th would have picked him if they had your hindsightmeter.

It was a calculated risk to take OJ.  This org had 0 blue chip blue line prospects and they valued him more than a winger that was rated a little higher in the draft. End of story.  In my opinion taking OJ on that day was less of a risk than taking EP at #5.  There were a number of publications/agencies that had EP ranked way lower than 5.

End of story, OJ continues to be not the BPA.

As for your question about EP, I liked the pick, but never thought he’d come in at 160lbs and do what he has. I thought he was a year or two away at least. The picks in that range at that draft didn’t present the same decisional challenge as the OJ one, IMO. Mostly forwards where we took EP, I mean. 

These few posts aren’t about my opinion on MT being the superior player at that pick - Not anymore. That ship has sailed. I’m happy to have an OJ in the ranks, like any Canuck fan.

It’s about the $&!# and abuse I took for my position on the pick and for defending the kind of player MT was said to be here in the pages of this thread. I wasn’t alone in that, no, and I hope it doesn’t come across that way. 

I’m not here to ‘rub it in, I don’t need to as it’s clear now, but came to see if anyone has Sutter Balls to admit they might have been a little asholy to some of us back then who had a different opinion. 

The pick question isn’t a question anymore.

What remains, for me anyways, are the attacks and the dog-piling on a few posters who went against the grain concerning the pick, whom, as it turns out, were obviously not hating trolls and ‘bad people’ or bad fans for wanting what they perceived as being what’s best for their hockey team. 

I expect nothing from this, honestly. I’m just passing through this prospect’s thread and just wanted to get this sentiment off my chest before the next game against the Lames. Done. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

As for your question about EP, I liked the pick, but never thought he’d come in at 160lbs and do what he has. I thought he was a year or two away at least. The picks in that range at that draft didn’t present the same decisional challenge as the OJ one, IMO. Mostly forwards where we took EP, I mean. 

These few posts aren’t about my opinion on MT being the superior player at that pick - Not anymore. That ship has sailed. I’m happy to have an OJ in the ranks, like any Canuck fan.

It’s about the $&!# and abuse I took for my position on the pick and for defending the kind of player MT was said to be here in the pages of this thread. I wasn’t alone in that, no, and I hope it doesn’t come across that way. 

I’m not here to ‘rub it in, I don’t need to as it’s clear now, but came to see if anyone has Sutter Balls to admit they might have been a little asholy to some of us back then who had a different opinion. 

What remains, for me anyways, are the attacks and the dog-piling on a few posters who went against the grain concerning the pick, whom, as it turns out, were obviously not hating trolls and ‘bad people’ or bad fans for wanting what they perceived as being what’s best for their hockey team. 

I expect nothing from this, honestly. I’m just passing through this prospect’s thread and just wanted to get this sentiment off my chest before the next game against the Lames. Done. 

I too wanted MT at that draft, and was a bit shocked JB didn't take him, but took OJ instead.  That said, I'm a big OJ fan.  I think in 2 seasons OJ is in our top 4

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I dont agree with you a lot of the time, but I usually read what you have to say because usually its an opposing view.  Nothing wrong with that.  Sometimes you need all views along a spectrum to bring balance.  I see no problem if you liked Tkachuk better.  The only issues I have is when people constantly trash Juolevi as part of an agenda to keep hating on the GM (see HFBOARDS Juolevi thread).  Im not saying this is you...

I think my point was that the same mindset that got them to pick EP also influenced them in the Juolevi pick.  I doubt that the scouting staff and management sit around and compare Craig Button rankings vs McKenzie vs Dobber etc and then make their decision.  You and I  (am assuming you too) dont get to watch these prospects and we rely on everyone's list to determine "BPA".  Teams have their own BPA.

I agree that Juolevi wasnt BPA (as defined by all of those lists), but either was Pettersson if we go by BPA from the vast majority of sources.  You win some and you lose some.

But who knows, he may turn out to be an excellent d man for us.

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Can you stop? All you’re doing is whining about how you were right and everyone else is wrong and how hard it is to be burdened with superior hockey knowledge. You aren’t special though, Everyone is right and wrong in various instances about their opinion of prospects and players, this isn’t any different, stop trying to be a martyr. “People were mean to me because I liked Tkachuk instead of Juolevi”. If people gave you “abuse” for it it’s probably because you were being self-righteous and repugnant about it, not for the actual opinion, and can’t reap what you’ve sowed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

I dont agree with you a lot of the time, but I usually read what you have to say because usually its an opposing view.  Nothing wrong with that.  Sometimes you need all views along a spectrum to bring balance.  I see no problem if you liked Tkachuk better.  The only issues I have is when people constantly trash Juolevi as part of an agenda to keep hating on the GM (see HFBOARDS Juolevi thread).  Im not saying this is you...

I think my point was that the same mindset that got them to pick EP also influenced them in the Juolevi pick.  I doubt that the scouting staff and management sit around and compare Craig Button rankings vs McKenzie vs Dobber etc and then make their decision.  You and I  (am assuming you too) dont get to watch these prospects and we rely on everyone's list to determine "BPA".  Teams have their own BPA.

I agree that Juolevi wasnt BPA (as defined by all of those lists), but either was Pettersson if we go by BPA from the vast majority of sources.  You win some and you lose some.

10-4.

Good post. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

I dont agree with you a lot of the time, but I usually read what you have to say because usually its an opposing view.  Nothing wrong with that.  Sometimes you need all views along a spectrum to bring balance.  I see no problem if you liked Tkachuk better.  The only issues I have is when guys constantly trashing Juolevi as part of an agenda to keep hating on the GM (see HFBOARDS Juolevi thread).  Im not saying this is you...

I don't think we lost with the OJ pick.  He will be a top four D man for us for many years, and be an important part of our young core.  That's a valuable piece in the puzzle.  

MT was the guy many of us wanted with that pick, but OJ is still not a lose, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Thanks Alf and agreed.

I got the years-old thing off my chest at least. Moving on. 

Movin

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hate-Fact of the day:

Who the &^@# you got at the 2017 pick ? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don't think we lost with the OJ pick.  He will be a top four D man for us for many years, and be an important part of our young core.  That's a valuable piece in the puzzle.  

MT was the guy many of us wanted with that pick, but OJ is still not a lose, IMO. 

Maybe i was jumping the gun a bit Alf.  I agree that the kid can turn out to be an excellent top 4. Im assuming a loss here in the sense that Tkachuk is on pace for like 80+ points this year.Right now it looks like its a loss at the draft slot machine that day.  There is a lot of uncertainty even when you pick at #5, 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bitter Melon said:

Can you stop? All you’re doing is whining about how you were right and everyone else is wrong and how hard it is to be burdened with superior hockey knowledge. You aren’t special though, Everyone is right and wrong in various instances about their opinion of prospects and players, this isn’t any different, stop trying to be a martyr. “People were mean to me because I liked Tkachuk instead of Juolevi”. If people gave you “abuse” for it it’s probably because you were being self-righteous and repugnant about it, not for the actual opinion, and can’t reap what you’ve sowed. 

Haha, awesome.

Yes, I’ve stopped, but just had to respond, because your, “All knees shall bow...”

I haven’t gloated, or tried not to anyways.

I’m just inviting those who hurled insults about me personally to show up now and speak to the TSN prospect list and still defend why MT shouldn’t have been taken still. 

Was it worth the bother? Meh, I had some time to kill over coffee.