Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, nzan said:

Not sure you actually know the definitions of any of the big words you used, this wasn’t gossip, a rumour, unsubstantiated or unconfirmed.

I said a thing I heard - it happened to be said by a good hockey mind who was having a discussion with a true hockey mind. If you don’t want to hear it, fine. Turn your ears elsewhere buddy.

Yeah, Hunter is a true hockey mind for sure.  My buddy, who is a good hockey mind, says your buddy is full of $&!#e.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nzan said:

A buddy texted me yesterday saying he was chatting with Dale Hunter at a big ohl prospect showcase - so I asked him to get Hunter’s take on Juolevi.

He said he’ll be an NHL player but maybe only ever be a 5/6.

That was disappointing to say the least. I still believe he’ll easy become at least a 3/4, cause I obviously know more than Hunter.

Good to hear Dale Hunter is the definitive word on a player's potential.   Guess Dale spent most of last year in Finland watching OJ and this year in Utica.   Cool stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nzan said:

A buddy texted me yesterday saying he was chatting with Dale Hunter at a big ohl prospect showcase - so I asked him to get Hunter’s take on Juolevi.

He said he’ll be an NHL player but maybe only ever be a 5/6.

That was disappointing to say the least. I still believe he’ll easy become at least a 3/4, cause I obviously know more than Hunter.

Sami Salo stated publicly that Olli will be #2 or #3. We will see who is right.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Because the first scenario is the worst form of baiting.   It isn't remotely the case so why even bother with it?   I know why you did, you know why you did - but it isn't fair to the kid when people even speculate on such crap even when they then backpeddle.   Might as well claim he is addicted to video games while you are at it.

speaking of the hfboards canucks board, your post is a very hfboards like except it is the flip side of the coin where now i am being attacked for daring to mention negativity instead of getting attacked over there for being optimistic about the same player.  i've been called a benning lover and a juolevi lover enough over there to be pretty comfortable that i am not unduly negative about this player.

 

and, for that matter, where exactly am i backpedalling?  i stand by what i said.  that is a legit possible take on this player and "you and i both know it" to use your weird logic.  do you want me to list all the negatives on this guy?  i choose not to dwell on them, but neither of us can pretend they do not exist. 

 

me choosing to be optimistic doesn't mean i can't acknowledge negative possibilities, and it sure as hell doesn't mean i have to get lectured by some guy cherry picking quotes.

 

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Good to hear Dale Hunter is the definitive word on a player's potential.   Guess Dale spent most of last year in Finland watching OJ and this year in Utica.   Cool stuff.

Nope, not the definitive word. I much prefer the more optimistic Salo outlook posted above, but I guess Juolevi will be the definitive word.

I still thought something I’d heard from a legitimate perspective would be welcome even if it wasn’t what I or anyone else wanted to hear.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krutovsdonut said:

speaking of the hfboards canucks board, your post is a very hfboards like except it is the flip side of the coin where now i am being attacked for daring to mention negativity instead of getting attacked over there for being optimistic about the same player.  i've been called a benning lover and a juolevi lover enough over there to be pretty comfortable that i am not unduly negative about this player.

 

and, for that matter, where exactly am i backpedalling?  i stand by what i said.  that is a legit possible take on this player and "you and i both know it" to use your weird logic.  do you want me to list all the negatives on this guy?  i choose not to dwell on them, but neither of us can pretend they do not exist. 

 

me choosing to be optimistic doesn't mean i can't acknowledge negative possibilities, and it sure as hell doesn't mean i have to get lectured by some guy cherry picking quotes.

 

I try to pretend there are not posters/people who like to fabricate negativity but neither of us can pretend they do not exist.    :)

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I would be shocked if Dale Hunter said that to some random guy about a player he won a memorial cup with.  This sounds like complete BS.  I'll go with real quotes from real people.

 

 

Best post of the thread recently! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trent Cull on Olli Juolevi:

 

"Today was Juolevi's 1st team practice, he was in the non-contact jersey. He's talking with our trainers to see how he made it through. I'm not applying any pressure in this situation, I want Olli to know that he's got to take care of himself. Doctors and Trainers are doing that."

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 7:01 AM, naslundfan921 said:

I'm sure it has already been mentioned at some point in the 511 pages of debate but remember Ohlund was a guy we took in the early first round that took 4 years to make his way to the Canucks. I can only imagine what that would have looked like had message boards been around in the 90s. For those who might not remember Ohlund ended up playing over 10 years for us and was consistently one of our best defenceman for large chunks of that stretch. 

 

Pretty sure at some point I've gone on record to say I think OJ will be fine. Maybe he won't be a Norris winner but if he turns into a rocksteady guy we can have on the back end when we are ready to compete for the cup again I'm more than happy regardless of how those picked after him turn out 

Logic and CDC seldom mix well.   You have been warned.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Logic and CDC seldom mix well.   You have been warned.   

Oh, I am well aware, Hard to believe perhaps but I predate even you on this forum. I've been here for so long I remember Tommi Santala jokes, how  Mattias Weinhandl is the missing "third Sedin", The Rory Fitzpatrick all star movement, Cowan the Bra-Barian and countless others. I'm not on here nearly as much (in fact over 2000 of my posts from those times are now erased - thank god cause I'm sure I said some idiotic things back then) but I've seen every instance of stupidity with rare amounts of actual insight on this forum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

Oh, I am well aware, Hard to believe perhaps but I predate even you on this forum. I've been here for so long I remember Tommi Santala jokes, how  Mattias Weinhandl is the missing "third Sedin", The Rory Fitzpatrick all star movement, Cowan the Bra-Barian and countless others. I'm not on here nearly as much (in fact over 2000 of my posts from those times are now erased - thank god cause I'm sure I said some idiotic things back then) but I've seen every instance of stupidity with rare amounts of actual insight on this forum 

Weigh in more often if you have the insights like you do on OJ.   This forum is often lacking with sound observation and knowledge.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 11:01 AM, canuckistani said:

I think the problem is that with the game favoring speed these days, we end up with a couple of defensemen every draft who stick on the NHL team in their draft year, so when a defenseman takes the regular route of playing in the NHL for the first time in D+3 or D+4 year, people get on the 'bust-train'. 

 

its also true in Vancouver more so than any city i've noticed, because Vancouverites in Canada, are the least 'hockey-playing' people in general growing up. As such, they miss the fundamentals of the game. Since soccer is also not very big here, people miss the whole human mechanics of 'team game involving scoring a goal' : its much easier, in terms of being 'gifted/blessed with skill and physical attributes' to shine in the offensive end of the field than defensive. This is true in Ice hockey, field hockey, soccer, etc. There is a reason why its the Gretskys, Lemeiuxes, Cosbys or the Peles, Maradonas, Ronaldos and Messis that are way, way more famous and 'prodigiously young talents' than the likes of Borques, Lidstroms, Keiths, Charas or Maldinis of the world. Its also kind of similar to why it always comes easy to be a great server in tennis (again, for those who are blessed with it) than great returner: Its always more natural, to control the ball/puck in your posession, than to react to the guy controlling the ball/puck and sending it your way or trying to get past you with it. 


In short, its neither uncommon, nor rocket science for defensemen to take a while longer to LEARN how to play defense. Yes, if Juolevi is not a regular in the team by the age 24-25, then its 'OMG he is busting' territory. Till then, all it is saying, is 'UNDER DEVELOPMENT'.

For dmen especially, a lot of those guys rushed into the league right after their draft, don't have exceptional careers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.