The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

23 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yea... he seems to be following the same development path as Griffin Reinhart, unfortunately.

If Griffin was on Utica and we had drafted him, i'm sure there would be a whole bunch of people telling us that his hockey IQ is so good and he is developing nicely lol.

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

If Griffin was on Utica and we had drafted him, i'm sure there would be a whole bunch of people telling us that his hockey IQ is so good and he is developing nicely lol.

My personal favourite was when people were thinking that Rodin was going to be the next Markus naslund... when he hadn’t even played a game in the nhl at age 25 :lol: 

I wonder how yann Sauve is doing? Or Patrick white? Or prab Rai? Haven’t heard much of Jordan Schroeder lately. Oh and I remember the time CDC had Jordan Subban ranked as the next Bobby Orr :lol: 

Whatever happened to Cole cassels being  the next Kesler? And wasn’t there some Nicklas Jensen that everyone here thought was going to be the next ovechkin :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

My personal favourite was when people were thinking that Rodin was going to be the next Markus naslund... when he hadn’t even played a game in the nhl at age 25 :lol: 

I wonder how yann Sauve is doing? Or Patrick white? Or prab Rai? Haven’t heard much of Jordan Schroeder lately. Oh and I remember the time CDC had Jordan Subban ranked as the next Bobby Orr :lol: 

Whatever happened to Cole cassels being  the next Kesler? And wasn’t there some Nicklas Jensen that everyone here thought was going to be the next ovechkin :lol: 

Did you see him shutdown Conner Mcdavid... he is going to be the best third line shutdown guy in the NHL... quote me on this! Lmao :)

And Subban could be moved up to forward as a winger and be like Theo Fleury!

Edited by Westcoasting
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Man this is depressing now that I think about it. Had high hopes for half of those players lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Except they are the deepest team in the league. No other team has 5 50+ point producers right now. There D is top 5. They have a loaded top 6 and if Neal ever regains his playoff magic, no thanks. There one weakness could be goaltending. But then again it’s less of a weakness and more of an unknown. 

Canucks rely far to much on Petty. When the whistle starts to get put away it becomes an easier match up. Exspecially with them getting last change. Let’s sneak into playoffs. Give the preds a run for there money like the avs did against them and call that a win. If we win awesome. If we loose. Well pred fans in Canada seem to be more humble. 

We are geared to have two shut down type lines plus Bo’s line.  Both teams equally green in playoff hockey.  We would be the underdog but I say bring it on.

6 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Man this is depressing now that I think about it. Had high hopes for half of those players lol

You best get a prescription for that as the next generation of "can't miss" players are on their way. While we all hope for the best for each of them, many will not make it. Statistically probably 20 to 30% of our picks over the last  4 to 5 years might play more than 50 games in the NHL and at that; I am probably being generous.

I too, have to admit to being overly enthusiastic about the previous crop of prospects which, as a fan, is probably fairly normal.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

We are geared to have two shut down type lines plus Bo’s line.  Both teams equally green in playoff hockey.  We would be the underdog but I say bring it on.

Bo got eaten alive by Monahan and Co. in the first week of the season, then again, it took him about 10 days to get his timing right. I'm not sure what that match-up would look like now.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You best get a prescription for that as the next generation of "can't miss" players are on their way. While we all hope for the best for each of them, many will not make it. Statistically probably 20 to 30% of our picks over the last  4 to 5 years might play more than 50 games in the NHL and at that; I am probably being generous.

I too, have to admit to being overly enthusiastic about the previous crop of prospects which, as a fan, is probably fairly normal.

I think in today's day and age with the internet it is easy to do that. So much information out there to ponder over and read the hype etc. And all the articles are written like its a linear progress line, players just get better and better so fans expect that. I feel for Hughes... so many are talking about him being generational and the "next" big thing... ugh.. i hope so. If not than it's going to be Canucks development sucks, coaching sucks, Utica sucks  lmao.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Nedved comes to mind. Seen him play a bunch of times, heard hype on the radio, Brian Burke, Pat Quinn, Cliff Ronning etc. Was there at the draft and knew that the Canucks were on the verge of a cup lol. His second year he was up to 36 goals or something and wow he was going to be a 50 or 60 goal guy.... him and Linden at Centre.... then came Josh Holden... lmao. I quit being excited about drafts at that point. No wait, Bryan Allen i was excited for too..

29 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Did you see him shutdown Conner Mcdavid... he is going to be the best third line shutdown guy in the NHL... quote me on this! Lmao :)

And Subban could be moved up to forward as a winger and be like Theo Fleury!

Being overly optimistic is the nature of the fan beast isn't it? The odds of playing 1 NHL game are extreme let alone making a career of it. Lots of reasons players don't make it other than skill. As fans we have no idea of many of the challenges these players face. You talk to hockey people and a common reason is the player didn't get the opportunity for whatever reason; depth in the org, a level of compete that could not be met, a ill timed injury or a style of play that did not fit.   

Just now, Boudrias said:

Being overly optimistic is the nature of the fan beast isn't it? The odds of playing 1 NHL game are extreme let alone making a career of it. Lots of reasons players don't make it other than skill. As fans we have no idea of many of the challenges these players face. You talk to hockey people and a common reason is the player didn't get the opportunity for whatever reason; depth in the org, a level of compete that could not be met, a ill timed injury or a style of play that did not fit.   

It sure is Andre :)

8 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Nedved comes to mind. Seen him play a bunch of times, heard hype on the radio, Brian Burke, Pat Quinn, Cliff Ronning etc. Was there at the draft and knew that the Canucks were on the verge of a cup lol. His second year he was up to 36 goals or something and wow he was going to be a 50 or 60 goal guy.... him and Linden at Centre.... then came Josh Holden... lmao. I quit being excited about drafts at that point. No wait, Bryan Allen i was excited for too..

I really cringe at Christmas listening to all the 'experts' pump air up the butts of those poor kids playing for team Canada. Sadly many of them are eating it up. They should be shown a list of all the Team Canada rosters over the years and how few of them had NHL careers. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I really cringe at Christmas listening to all the 'experts' pump air up the butts of those poor kids playing for team Canada. Sadly many of them are eating it up. They should be shown a list of all the Team Canada rosters over the years and how few of them had NHL careers. 

I just remembered another gem thanks to you...Brandon Reid! 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Nedved had 310 career goals, 700+ points.  I'm not sure I'd be using him as a disappointment

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nedved had 310 career goals, 700+ points.  I'm not sure I'd be using him as a disappointment

Yep too many high hopes lol, i had him pegged for superstardom! Oh and the biggest reason was seeing the superstar that Pittsburgh got after us. So unfair they already had Mario..

Edited by Westcoasting

if we are talking about prospects we had high hopes for....

Jimmy the House Sandlak

Tore up the World Junior Championships, 6'4" 220, hit like a truck,...drafted 4th overall in 1985 when Alberta was dominating - gave Canucks fans hope.  Gave Canucks management so much hope that they decided that supposed "slower" developing Cam Neely was expendable.  

Jimmy never reached his projected potential.  Played some decent hockey, ran over Phil Housely in that series vs Winnipeg in early 90s...but was a disappointment on the whole. In my mind represents the hopes, pitfalls, and sufferings of the Canucks fan base. 

Also a lesson for all in Jimmy the House's story - dont give up on your prospects/young players easily.  See Cam Neely.  With this in mind...Gonnna reach around and bring up Juolevi now to keep this semi on topic....lol