The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I really think it depends on the quality of the player as to what toll injuries play. Boeser took an absolutely devastating back injury at the end of the 17-18 season, had has battled wrist injuries for years now. Both required surgery, and yet he's still a quality hockey player.

I think Juolevi is smart enough and talented enough to battle through his injury woes. Not saying he will for sure, but I really think he has what it takes.

I hope so too, I’m just not in anyway expecting it. I thought his progression was on a normal pace until these injuries. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

hfboards.com is that way man.  &^@# sakes.  

Why does everyone have to pick a fight? I’m not here to fight with anyone. I’m not sure if it’s a reading comprehension problem? Maybe my ability to articulate is lacking? A combination of the 2? I don’t understand. If a 21 year old prospect with 2 major surgeries in a calder doesn’t warrant a degree of concern, then i give up. I can look at Juolevi from both sides of the spectrum. I can be hopeful with no expectations, can’t I? Telling me to go to the HF Boards because you don’t agree with me is the very definition of Trolling. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Why does everyone have to pick a fight? I’m not here to fight with anyone. I’m not sure if it’s a reading comprehension problem? Maybe my ability to articulate is lacking? A combination of the 2? I don’t understand. If a 21 year old prospect with 2 major surgeries in a calder doesn’t warrant a degree of concern, then i give up. I can look at Juolevi from both sides of the spectrum. I can be hopeful with no expectations, can’t I? Telling me to go to the HF Boards because you don’t agree with me is the very definition of Trolling. 

Bubble Boy.  It’s a Canuck’s fan board.  Fans will fanatically defend their team’s players.  

Juiolevi has had had two surgeries.  Every surgery, where general anesthesia is used is a major, and very serious.  

I look at OJ’s surgeries as positive.  He was playing with an injured back, yet still did well.  He was playing with an injured knee, and did well.  When healthy, OJ is going to player really well.  He will be on our team by Christmas, and in our top four soon after.  He’s big, can skate, moves the puck extremely well with his feet or by pass, and he’s super hockey smart.  

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think it may have to do with your approach to a topic.  Once you make a statement about something, it seems like you just can't let go of it.  You keep repeating your assessment over and over, as if you are going to finally convince people that your argument is the right one.

In your opinion, Juolevi has had 2 major surgeries, but other people (some with medical or experiential background) have stated the opposite.  So far, I haven't seen anyone produce a medical report that verifies anything that has been said.

What you say about Juolevi may be true, but is also ok for people remain hopeful that he will pan out; at least until he has proven that he won't.

It's a tricky thing to offer up negative posts about the Canucks around here.  I have done so on occasion, but I try to word my thoughts in a way that doesn't turn into a mud flinging match.  I have come to realize that my opinion is of no more value than anyone else; all will be forgotten with in a short time anyways.

Besides...we are all Canucks.

I don’t really see how I degraded OJ with blind hatred. I have said over and over again that I like the pick. I liked his development curve. It’s selective comprehension. Injuries are setbacks.  

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bubble Boy.  It’s a Canuck’s fan board.  Fans will fanatically defend their team’s players.  

Juiolevi has had had two surgeries.  Every surgery, where general anesthesia is used is a major, and very serious.  

I look at OJ’s surgeries as positive.  He was playing with an injured back, yet still did well.  He was playing with an injured knee, and did well.  When healthy, OJ is going to player really well.  He will be on our team by Christmas, and in our top four soon after.  He’s big, can skate, moves the puck extremely well with his feet or by pass, and he’s super hockey smart.  

OJ isn’t 1990 Honda Civic with a bad fuel pump. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

I don’t really see how I degraded OJ with blind hatred. I have said over and over again that I like the pick. I liked his development curve. It’s selective comprehension. Injuries are setbacks.  

OJ isn’t 1990 Honda Civic with a bad fuel pump. 

I don't see that either. 

Read my post again.  You are entitled to your opinion.  I guess it's just a case of 'less is more'.

3 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

For some reason this OJ thread is the worst one for flaming any kind of criticism or concern, even when expressed without malice. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

For some reason this OJ thread is the worst one for flaming any kind of criticism or concern, even when expressed without malice. 

And we think this thread is bad...what does that make Jakes thread lol? That is one doosey of a thread to wade through :frantic:

30 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

And we think this thread is bad...what does that make Jakes thread lol? That is one doosey of a thread to wade through :frantic:

Seems that Jake;s detractors haven;t been so harsh lately.  I think that is why it seems to be OJ's turn as a whipping boy.  :)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I only chime into this thread occasionally,  but when I do I find most of the criticism/concern is based upon little fact and a lot of overblown conjecture/speculation unfortunately ( not by you necessarily ).

Every level he's played at he's been a productive,  contributing member of his team and demonstrated growth as a player - that is a fact backed up by his stats, playing time,  and coaches comments.   

Other than the fact he has suffered injuries  (a situation controlled by no one I might add), what actual facts back up the criticism some people are presenting towards this player?   

Edited by Fanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

I have a feeling Olli will surprise a lot of us when he gets a mid-season call up and he sticks around with the team for the rest of the season.

Agreed, people have just lost patience and sight of how good of a prospect Juolevi is. If he looks ready for some NHL minutes then you trade Tanev for what you can get at the deadline. Hopefully Tanev can stay healthy until then and fetch a 1st

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Agreed, people have just lost patience and sight of how good of a prospect Juolevi is. If he looks ready for some NHL minutes then you trade Tanev for what you can get at the deadline. Hopefully Tanev can stay healthy until then and fetch a 1st

If this team makes the playoffs and Tanev was a part of that, there is no way JB trades him at the deadline.

And I can just hear the whining now from all the trolls about 'asset management' blah blah blah. Even though we would be keeping a very strong defensive D man for a playoff run.

Edit: I am totally fine with trading Tanev but it needs to be in the next few months with another asset to try and get a guy like Risto. Otherwise, Tanev is here for any playoff run we may make. The only way I see him get traded late in the year is if the Canucks do not make the playoffs as Tanev would be a solid add for a deep team expecting to go far.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 3

On 7/13/2019 at 1:04 PM, Bubble Man said:

What have you seen that supports this claim? Clendening was a more proven AHL player but still couldn’t get it together in the NHL. 1st round D-men bust more than they live up to expectations. Nothing really screams to me that he is going to be just fine. 

Because his skating was subpar.  I haven't seen/heard/read anything that suggest OJ's skating is any kind of negative.  And I've been hardly 'pumping his tires' on the prospect.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If this team makes the playoffs and Tanev was a part of that, there is no way JB trades him at the deadline.

And I can just hear the whining now from all the trolls about 'asset management' blah blah blah. Even though we would be keeping a very strong defensive D man for a playoff run.

Edit: I am totally fine with trading Tanev but it needs to be in the next few months with another asset to try and get a guy like Risto. Otherwise, Tanev is here for any playoff run we may make. The only way I see him get traded late in the year is if the Canucks do not make the playoffs as Tanev would be a solid add for a deep team expecting to go far.

Are we cup competitive this year? Is Tanev a longterm fit here?

In my opinion neither is the case and therefore trading Tanev is the best option

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Because his skating was subpar.  I haven't seen/heard/read anything that suggest OJ's skating is any kind of negative.  And I've been hardly 'pumping his tires' on the prospect.

I watched him play live twice, to me OJ looked like a smooth skater. Not a fast skater like Virtanen or even Hughes, but really smooth, seemed effortless. If he can add a bit more speed, he could be a poor man's Scott Niedermayer. 

• Upvote 1