The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i thought we tried that last season

and brought him up when he was injured

it did not really work out so well

You usually make pretty interesting posts, if anything your posting style is unique to other people.

But this one is a head scratcher. You can't get a player to play if they're injured...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You usually make pretty interesting posts, if anything your posting style is unique to other people.

But this one is a head scratcher. You can't get a player to play if they're injured...

it is sarcasm coupled with irony in their truest forms

oj is unique as he was in fact called up last season

and turned out he was injured

that fact makes the post i responded to a bit funny

(as that is clearly not what the poster intended to convey - it twists his meaning)

the sarcasm part is suggesting that very same thing be repeated

i'll throw in an emoji next time to indicate i'm not being serious

since that seems to help clarify subtle comments

for those who seem to miss them

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

it is sarcasm coupled with irony in their truest forms

oj is unique as he was in fact called up last season

and turned out he was injured

that fact makes the post i responded to a bit funny

the sarcasm part is suggesting that very same thing be repeated

i'll throw in an emoji next time to indicate i'm not being serious

since that seems to help clarify subtle comments

for those who seem to miss them

I didn't make the connection between the call-up and the immediate injury that followed. Your post makes sense now. Better not to call him up at all. Just get him to start in VAN LOL.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Haha 1

If OJ can make the team out of training camp, then this would be a positive in his development...other "D" from his class have played in the NHL and are ahead of him in their development...however, if OJ can make the jump, then he is not that far behind the best in his draft class Segachev 72 pts, McAvoy 60 pts, and Chychrun 54 pts.

image.png

Edited by Pete M

This 'NHL games played already' argument is so head-achingly myopic and lacking context.

Fabbro only played 4 games late last season and has had nowhere near the injuries of Juolevi. If he'd been hurt the last couple weeks of the season, would he be a 'potential bust' too? :picard:

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This 'NHL games played already' argument is so head-achingly myopic and lacking context.

Fabbro only played 4 games late last season and has had nowhere near the injuries of Juolevi. If he'd been hurt the last couple weeks of the season, would he be a 'potential bust' too? :picard:

Fabbro was in college last year... age and league are valid indicators of ability. Juolevi would have played NHL games had he not gotten injured though. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:15 AM, Googlie said:

Grammar policing is a different animal -  e.g. "should of" instead of "should have"

What gets my goat is posters who don't proof read before hitting "submit" - but I try to prod with gentle humor.  e.g. one of the more common is "complimentary " instead of "complementary" ..... as in "Jake compliments Bo", to which I reply "I've never read anything about Jake praising Bo"

Hence my subtle dig at "rabbit" instead of "rabid"

Don’t forget that autocorrect is responsible for a lot of errors.   So some of the time you are chasing a ghost

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, teepain said:

Edler stetcher

hughes myers

juolevi benn

if canucks cant move Loui or sutter, tanev may have to go. His cap hit just fixes all our problems

Loui Sutter beagle Schaller.

imagine what the situation would look like if these contracts were structured such that they could be bought out?   If only JB could get someone who knows something about risk and contracts.....  the players wouldn’t care in all likelihood.   If their production declines and they get sent to the minors - they would rather be bought out and then sign a new contract more appealing to nhl teams.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Don’t forget that autocorrect is responsible for a lot of errors.   So some of the time you are chasing a ghost

For sure - I get a lot of misspells too, sometimes even gibberish.  But I do proofread,  and that's my beef - some don't. I accept that in my example (complimentary vs complementary) it is not so obvious as many don't know the distinction, but another is "reigns" instead of "reins" (eg: "give Bo the reigns already" .... huh?).  A simple reading of what is about to be submitted would show that it doesn't make sense.

(I have tried "speech to text" but spent so much time correcting the errors that I gave up on that) 

16 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Loui Sutter beagle Schaller.

imagine what the situation would look like if these contracts were structured such that they could be bought out?   If only JB could get someone who knows something about risk and contracts.....  the players wouldn’t care in all likelihood.   If their production declines and they get sent to the minors - they would rather be bought out and then sign a new contract more appealing to nhl teams.

For me, Benning's biggest mistake was in not retaining Laurence Gilman.  He is now working for the Leafs, and hate them as much as we want to, but they are managing to the cap much better than we are.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

For sure - I get a lot of misspells too, sometimes even gibberish.  But I do proofread,  and that's my beef - some don't. I accept that in my example (complimentary vs complementary) it is not so obvious as many don't know the distinction, but another is "reigns" instead of "reins" (eg: "give Bo the reigns already" .... huh?).  A simple reading of what is about to be submitted would show that it doesn't make sense.

(I have tried "speech to text" but spent so much time correcting the errors that I gave up on that) 

This maybe a bridge to far for you, some people just don't care, period. I'm OK with that … it's there choice, have at it. I want to know their views and opinions that's why I visit the forum. They maybe are folks with a second language difficulty or people with maybe a learning disorder deal with it, heck some have fat finger not meant to tackle a keyboard :) . The best thing is they're trying and they're joining in and understood by most poster. Don't ridicule them , it serves no good purpose other than inflate your own ego. Personally my laptop keyboard doesn't register certain keystrokes. I do not review my post  ….. my choice :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Googlie said:

It’s a hockey chat site, not one about the writing process. 

Why not start a thread in off topic stuff about editing?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, teepain said:

Edler stetcher

hughes myers

juolevi benn

if canucks cant move Loui or sutter, tanev may have to go. His cap hit just fixes all our problems

There are no cap issues once only 23 players are counted towards the cap. 

Tanev probably does not get traded unless we get a top 4 RD back. Otherwise our D goes back to being in over its head imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

For me, Benning's biggest mistake was in not retaining Laurence Gilman.  He is now working for the Leafs, and hate them as much as we want to, but they are managing to the cap much better than we are.

Haha....yeah.

Toronto had to trade their 1st round pick to dump a contract (marleau).  Toronto signed nylander to a ridiculous contract and paid matthews too much too soon.

Toronto is managing their cap way better than the Canucks!! :picard:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha....yeah.

Toronto had to trade their 1st round pick to dump a contract (marleau).  Toronto signed nylander to a ridiculous contract and paid matthews too much too soon.

Toronto is managing their cap way better than the Canucks!! :picard:

Well according to TSN they can do no wrong 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

This maybe a bridge to far for you, some people just don't care, period. I'm OK with that … it's there choice, have at it. I want to know their views and opinions that's why I visit the forum. They maybe are folks with a second language difficulty or people with maybe a learning disorder deal with it, heck some have fat finger not meant to tackle a keyboard :) . The best thing is they're trying and they're joining in and understood by most poster. Don't ridicule them , it serves no good purpose other than inflate your own ego. Personally my laptop keyboard doesn't register certain keystrokes. I do not review my post  ….. my choice :lol:

well said

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Ridicule?  That's a bit steep. I'm just an old fart lamenting the slippage of standards that applied 30 or 40 years ago, pre the instant gratification culture of the internet (and btw, English is my second language too)

images.jpeg.35089793d68d6986a168354c81c36117.jpeg