The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

59 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

What I fail to understand, is how some 'fans' now that the draft is 3 years past, seem to want OJ to fail so that they can feel 'right'. As a fan, shouldn't you want the player to succeed and take a wait and see attitude given he's had some unfortunate injuries? I will never understand a fan who needs their ego stroked more than to see a potential stud dman become what he was drafted for. Especially when injuries are the reason he hasn't seen NHL ice yet.

Very few fans want OJ to fail..( there's obviously members of Team Miserable on HF Canucks).. He would be a tremendous bonus if he makes the Canucks.

However, to say that it is purely injuries that have held him back is completely false, and there are very legitimate concerns about his play..Some posters here are clearly in denial..

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I want OJ to be successful for one reason. That reason is so he can say "take that" to all the scrutiny he has received in the years since his draft.

I want him to have a career that makes talking heads say "we were wrong". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

What I fail to understand, is how some 'fans' now that the draft is 3 years past, seem to want OJ to fail so that they can feel 'right'. As a fan, shouldn't you want the player to succeed and take a wait and see attitude given he's had some unfortunate injuries? I will never understand a fan who needs their ego stroked more than to see a potential stud dman become what he was drafted for. Especially when injuries are the reason he hasn't seen NHL ice yet.

exactly.. how does it help the team if OJ busts? 

I guess anyone calling him a bust at this point doesn't want the Canucks to succeed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, zombieksa said:

I want OJ to be successful for one reason. That reason is so he can say "take that" to all the scrutiny he has received in the years since his draft.

I want him to have a career that makes talking heads say "we were wrong". 

This will never happen, they just cling themselves onto the next thing they can complain about.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

It's okay, they haven't gotten much right, so they're just clinging on for dear life to whatever they can. No GM is perfect, so there's always something they can be "right" about.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I would argue Honky,  that a HUGE number of posters here, not saying you, actually don't know much about hockey as opposed to just being in denial- to me these are very different concepts.   Yes, they are fans and know the basics like the rules and that the NHL has a salary cap, but they have little to no understanding of how teams develop assets within their organization.  

When I hear people categorizing OJ as a 'bust' at this stage in his career in immediately understand they have limited hockey knowledge .  Let me be clear,  I'm not saying OJ is or isn't a bust - only that it is clearly much, much too early to say either way.   Writing off a kid this early exposes more than a person's opinion - it underscores their entire understanding of the process imo.  

Those who defend OJ, and our other young players (who without our future looks not as good as with them being successful) are Canuck’s fans first and foremost.  I’m one of those fans.  We are hopeful for a better future, and know these guys like OJ need to turn out fir that future to be its best.

Those who are so often negative about our young players, IMO, are fans of other teams more than they are ours.  Why else would a poster want our young guys to bustaroo?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I would argue Honky,  that a HUGE number of posters here, not saying you, actually don't know much about hockey as opposed to just being in denial- to me these are very different concepts.   Yes, they are fans and know the basics like the rules and that the NHL has a salary cap, but they have little to no understanding of how teams develop assets within their organization.  

When I hear people categorizing OJ as a 'bust' at this stage in his career in immediately understand they have limited hockey knowledge .  Let me be clear,  I'm not saying OJ is or isn't a bust - only that it is clearly much, much too early to say either way.   Writing off a kid this early exposes more than a person's opinion - it underscores their entire understanding of the process imo.  

This is kind of what I was talking about in my last post.  Not to pick on you, but how many posts in the last 15 pages have “written on this kid off”?  I’m curious,  there’s been talk about him not being as good as MT and talk about him not likely becoming a true #1 D but that’s a far cry from writing him off.  

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This is kind of what I was talking about in my last post.  Not to pick on you, but how many posts in the last 15 pages have “written on this kid off”?  I’m curious,  there’s been talk about him not being as good as MT and talk about him not likely becoming a true #1 D but that’s a far cry from writing him off.  

Actually what bothers me is seeing your username and avatar every time you post.  Besides Salic, Foppa seemed to always make the Canucks his “word that rhymes with witch” :P  Especially in the playoffs.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Who you callin honky? Lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Very few fans want OJ to fail..( there's obviously members of Team Miserable on HF Canucks).. He would be a tremendous bonus if he makes the Canucks.

However, to say that it is purely injuries that have held him back is completely false, and there are very legitimate concerns about his play..Some posters here are clearly in denial..

Aside from injuries what leads you to believe that?  He's had two excellent professional seasons (albeit abbreviated) to this point........seems like his development is right on track to me.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

@ForsbergTheGreat

Are the Canucks your only loved team?  

If not, then you cannot understand the way a fan thinks about his only loved team.  I think a lot of younger fans like their home team, but like other teams too.  We need OJ to become a good NHL player for our team to be as good as possible.  We want other teams young players to bustaroo, because that gives the team we live a better chance at winning.  I think you’re right about “fairytale land”.  That’s what it is to love ones home team.  IMO if a fan isn’t in that fairytale land they don’t truly love their team.  They like their team but like other teams too.  It’s like a marriage where the guy likes his wife, but has other women on the side.  That is not love.

40 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

But most of the fans on here know OJ has not blossomed as a prospect right out of the gate. They talk about how his injuries may have slowed down his progress towards being an NHL D man.

You and a few others just seem to want to continue to hammer home that OJ, as a prospect has just disappointed so far. I mean, look at your condescending words above when you call posters who choose to be positive "live in a fairytale land". That is stupid imo and an attempt to belittle positive attitudes.

The difference in opinions is, the upbeat more positive fans try to see the glass as half full. With an off season of training and hopefully being healthy, hopefully OJ develops well and becomes a great player for the Canucks. Something we sorely need on the back end.

Instead you and a few others choose to see the glass as half empty by saying we should all be disappointed in OJ and you continue to harp on it over and over. Look at your next bolded statement - that is just YOU who says others can't accept OJ "struggled living up to what we hoped for". You say it over and over.  We all know his injuries have resulted in his development being stunted. Who cares? We hope he develops well this year. Positive fans don't need to hear over and over and over how certain negative "fans" think OJ is not doing well.

No offence, but YOU don't need to manage MY expectations...or anyone else's imo.

I’m sorry my tone offends to the point where your reading comprehension goes out the window. If you are looking for a safe place where only positive things are discussed then maybe you shouldn’t be on an internet discussion board. 

Stating that he’s more likely to be a solid 2nd pairing D rather than a #1 D, is not calling the kid a bust. 

Stating that he’s not likely to reach the levels of a p/gp PWF is at, is not writing him off.  

If that’s the conclusion some people get out of those statements then I’d suggest for people to not be so damn sensitive.  Not every prospect is going to pan out an become a future HHOF, deal with it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

@ForsbergTheGreat

Are the Canucks your only loved team?  

If not, then you cannot understand the way a fan thinks about his only loved team.  I think a lot of younger fans like their home team, but like other teams too.  We need OJ to become a good NHL player for our team to be as good as possible.  We want other teams young players to bustaroo, because that gives the team we live a better chance at winning.  I think you’re right about “fairytale land”.  That’s what it is to love ones home team.  IMO if a fan isn’t in that fairytale land they don’t truly love their team.  They like their team but like other teams too.  It’s like a marriage where the guy likes his wife, but has other women on the side.  That is not love.

First and foremost I’m a fan of the sport. I love hockey. Canucks are and always have been my #1. But being a fan of a team doesn’t mean you can’t appreciate players on other teams and skill sets they bring to the game. It doesn’t mean I have to be in a delusion that everything is rainbows and unicorns with this team. If that were the case we’d have had at least one silver trophy to show for it. 

• Upvote 1