The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

OJ will be fine.  He has played well at every level he has been in.  13 points in 18 games as a rookie in the AHL is impressive.  He was solid in his year in Finland.  He had a couple very good years in London.  I expect him to be in the NHL by the new year, and be a top 4 mainstay on this team for many years. 

Edited by BCNate
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

My opinion?  That was Jim Bennings opinion. But you’re the expertzz that’s claiming he’s going to be a top 10 D in the league.

Ceiling projection is evaluating what you know and making a calculated estimate on the probability.  Key word is calculated. It why stating something like say, Lind becoming the next Crosby is accepted truth even though, yes we don’t know the future. 

The fact that you are correlating me saying he’s more likely to be toping out as a solid second pairing guy, to me having a hidden agenda of calling him a bust shows how delusional you are on this matter.

I think you need to read other people’s posts better, I think you need to learn how you speak to others, and finally learn that opinions of hockey players aren’t worth your anger. 

Have a nice life, there’s a reason I had you on block and now I remember 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Anyone have any comments about Bob McKenzie sometime in December was going on about how good Quinn Hughes was looking and then said ... which is great news to management as it seems OJ has stalled in his development and there is a concern... or something very close to that. Then he was not on Craig's list of top prospects. I see a lot of fans waving pom poms but these guys are connected to teams way more than any of us out here, just curious about peoples thoughts on that.

I have searched for this comment by McKenzie, but have not found it.  Without the actual quote, I have difficulty with the wording of this post; especially concerning "stalled...or something very close to that."

You say that it was in December sometime, so I take that it was early in his season in Finland. His transition to an adult team was slow in Europe, so a lot of people were concerned about OJ's poor showing by December.

His game started to pick up after Christmas and by season end he was playing very well (.500pts); especially impressive during the team playoffs.

We see a similar situation the following offseason(limited due to back surgery) another slow start in Utica.  His performance started to pick up until it ended due to the knee injury.  His points proved to be well above .500 and he would have most certainly spent some time in the NHL if not for the early season ending injury.

No doubt, his progression certainly has been hindered by these injuries and slow starts that reduced his # of games to 56 in two years (which is a blow to his overall development).  It does appear that he manages to gradually start performing well at whatever level he's at, once a period of adjustment or wellness has been achieved. 

He still has a ways to go to become a fixture in the Canucks lineup, but at just 21yrs, he still has the time to do so.

Regarding your taunting remark about 'fans waving pom poms'...I really don't see that.  Most of the comments I have read contain guarded expectations around OJ, with the hope that he will get some callups this year; maybe even make the team after the break.  They see him on the 3rd pairing to start off and then developing into a 2nd pairing in later years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

What I don’t seem to understand is you somehow seem believe your “opinion” on what a player’s ceiling is, is somehow fact. 

I don’t propose that OJ “WILL” be Josi 2.0, but rather he has that potential. Roman Josi didn’t have Roman Josi potential when drafted did he? If so why was a number 1 dman taken in the second round? Ie see Shay Weber, Subban, Keith, many others. That’s the funny thing about drafting, you never really know until a while into their career what they will actually be! 

Also, my (or anyone else’s) opinion on a message board won’t put any pressure on the “little guy”, I’m sure he’s confident in himself and isn’t too worried about what pressure comes from fans on social media, so don’t worry yourself to sleep at night that some guy with numbers as his name will put so much pressure on OJ he’ll bust! Your red herring argument is nonsense and trying to deflect from your OJ bashing. We get it, you wanted Tkachuk.

By the way, since you’re psychic and can see so clearly into the future, can you tell me what tonight’s 6-49 numbers will be? Please DM me as I don’t want to split the pot with others here! Thanks!

Talk about selective reading?..Where is Forsberg "bashing" Juolevi?..You (and a few others on here) are obviously very hyper sensitive to any inconvenient facts about this player..  (are we just supposed to be cheerleading in this forum?).

He also said in a previous post that Matt Tkachuk was not his personal selection at #5 in 2016.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Yep especially when they think development has stalled... then the second major injury happens.

Can you show me  an article stating where ( they)management believes OJs development has stalled. Media driven question turned belief.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Talk about selective reading?..Where is Forsberg "bashing" Juolevi?..You (and a few others on here) are obviously very hyper sensitive to any inconvenient facts about this player..  (are we just supposed to be cheerleading in this forum?).

He also said in a previous post that Matt Tkachuk was not his personal selection at #5 in 2016.

It’s pretty easy to read between the lines when someone is so vocal about a player not living up to being 5th overall. Especially when said player hasn’t reached the nhl yet due to unfortunate injuries. 

But carry on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

It’s pretty easy to read between the lines when someone is so vocal about a player not living up to being 5th overall. Especially when said player hasn’t reached the nhl yet due to unfortunate injuries. 

But carry on. 

Some posters like our team, but have other teams they like too, so it’s easier for them to criticize our young players.  Us crazy Canuck’s fans, who hate all the other teams, know our young guys (like OJ) that we’re drafted high need to turn out so our team can be the best it possibly can be.  For myself I get pissed when other not so crazy as me Canuck’s fans, point out flames in our young guys.  That’s like harpooning our hope for a really good future.  Why would a fan want to destroy the hope for our team’s future success?  Then to top it off some fans like to compare players we could have drafted instead.  It’s like rubbing salt into a wound.  

11 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

But carry on. 

Does not mean the players a "bust"...or that he can't be an impact player down the road...but there's been no indication so far that he is worthy of a 5OA.

...and that is taking account of his injuries.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Some posters like our team, but have other teams they like too, so it’s easier for them to criticize our young players.  Us crazy Canuck’s fans, who hate all the other teams, know our young guys (like OJ) that we’re drafted high need to turn out so our team can be the best it possibly can be.  For myself I get pissed when other not so crazy as me Canuck’s fans, point out flames in our young guys.  That’s like harpooning our hope for a really good future.  Why would a fan want to destroy the hope for our team’s future success?  Then to top it off some fans like to compare players we could have drafted instead.  It’s like rubbing salt into a wound.  

What posters/fans say has absolutely nothing to do with how the player will turn out.....Once again (for the hundredth time), nobody is hoping that OJ fails...

Out of the first 17 players selected in the 2016 draft..OJ is the only one who hasn't played a single game (with valid reasons)..Comparisons to other players available to the Canucks at that draft, are to be expected.

Hockey is a results driven business, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

What posters/fans say has absolutely nothing to do with how the player will turn out.....Once again (for the hundredth time), nobody is hoping that OJ fails...

Out of the first 17 players selected in the 2016 draft..OJ is the only one who hasn't played a single game (with valid reasons)..Comparisons to other players available to the Canucks at that draft, are to be expected.

All you state is accepted truth.  However, why stick a knife in the ribs of crazy Canuck’s fans hope fir a better future, unless those posters have other teams they like too?  “The Canucks aren’t doing well, so I’m cheering for the Leafs, as example.”

Crazy Canuck’s fans do not cheer, in any way, for other teams’ prospects to be better than ours. Why would a fan do that?  That ruins the fans hope for a better future.

With veteran players it’s different.  They are the now.  They, in most cases, are not the future.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Does not mean the players a "bust"...or that he can't be an impact player down the road...but there's been no indication so far that he is worthy of a 5OA.

...and that is taking account of his injuries.

Cool story. We disagree. Now what? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Never been a fan of comparing players to their draft peers. Since they don't get to choose where they are drafted or who they are drafted to. So their development should not be effected or influenced by the development of their peers. All you guys are doing is bumming yourself out and putting unnecessary pressure on the kids we draft.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

It sure is. But it’s hard to get results when you’re injured isn’t it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All you state is accepted truth.  However, why stick a knife in the ribs of crazy Canuck’s fans hope fir a better future, unless those posters have other teams they like too?  “The Canucks aren’t doing well, so I’m cheering for the Leafs, as example.”

Crazy Canuck’s fans do not cheer, in any way, for other teams’ prospects to be better than ours. Why would a fan do that?  That ruins the fans hope for a better future.

With veteran players it’s different.  They are the now.  They, in most cases, are not the future.

So you want s Canucks Booster Club type atmosphere....Is that what other posters want though?

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t hate other teams. I just think it’s early to say OJ was not worthy of 5th overall given 

1. He was known to need time to gain strength 

2. He looked to be developing fine then got a couple of unfortunate injuries. 

None of that suggests he wasn’t worth the 5th overall. Those complaining are basing their assessment on “speed to nhl” and ignoring 1 and 2 above yet saying they aren’t ignoring it. 

Their position is not logically consistent with facts or even their own statements 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Honky Cat said:

So you want s Canucks Booster Club type atmosphere....Is that what other posters want though?

For our young players, absolutely.  They are our hope for a better future.  To degrade our, and then promote other teams’ young guys, is like saying we suck now and (because of OJ, Jake, Lind, and whomever else negative guys want to talk bad about) our future is going to suck too.  Then add that other teams’ young guys are better than ours.  Why do that?  As a crazy fan, who does not cheer in any way for other teams (until we are eliminated) this doesn’t make any sense.  

You are basically saying our future sucks socks. 

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Fine by me..maybe we will get to chat again when OJ hits the ice in September?

Talk to me after 200 games in the NHL as to whether he was worth a 5th overall. That’s generally a good barometer. Enjoy Hockey Forums, it’s more up your alley

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Dmen take longer to develop into NHL players.  Let's have another look...

Out of the 1st 18 picks from the 2016 Draft, only 3 dmen (out of 7) have become established NHL players:  Serg, Chychurn, McAvoy.

The other 4 dmen have not played more than 4 NHL games (barely a cup of coffee) in the NHL:  Juolevi (0), Bean (2),

Fabbro (4), Stanley (0).

Time will tell...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Being a fan doesn’t mean you have to stick you head in he sand to what’s going on around the league. 

What you are talking about is dropping to the levels of the leafs koolaid drinkers.

Never good full koolaid drinker. 

• Cheers 1