The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

53 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Talk to me after 200 games in the NHL as to whether he was worth a 5th overall. That’s generally a good barometer. Enjoy Hockey Forums, it’s more up your alley

This is a hockey forum..I will be more than happy to to concede to you (ecstatic,in fact) that I was brutally wrong .... if Juolevi does indeed..live up to a 5th OA after 200 games....

What you're basically saying is that he has to be a 1st pairing D-man after 200 games..no pressure there?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Some posters like our team, but have other teams they like too, so it’s easier for them to criticize our young players.  Us crazy Canuck’s fans, who hate all the other teams, know our young guys (like OJ) that we’re drafted high need to turn out so our team can be the best it possibly can be.  For myself I get pissed when other not so crazy as me Canuck’s fans, point out flames in our young guys.  That’s like harpooning our hope for a really good future.  Why would a fan want to destroy the hope for our team’s future success?  Then to top it off some fans like to compare players we could have drafted instead.  It’s like rubbing salt into a wound.  

Not everything works out on the ice, nor everything off it. Some drafts are duds but Tryamkin isn’t one of them (I’m referring to another thread there) and neither is Juolevi, yet. He was just starting to look like he’d adjusted to the AHL when he got hurt - so we will have to wait on him. I’m not referring to you, but some people here don’t have the patience of a gnat on speed.

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Dmen take longer to develop into NHL players.  Let's have another look...

Out of the 1st 18 picks from the 2016 Draft, only 3 dmen (out of 7) have become established NHL players:  Serg, Chychurn, McAvoy.

The other 4 dmen have not played more than 4 NHL games (barely a cup of coffee) in the NHL:  Juolevi (0), Bean (2),

Fabbro (4), Stanley (0).

Time will tell...

I'm very aware that Dmen take longer...However,..players like Fabbro and Stanley were taken 16-17th OA....If Olli were taken in the mid teens, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm very aware that Dmen take longer...However,..players like Fabbro and Stanley were taken 16-17th OA....If Olli were taken in the mid teens, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

What with Olli's setbacks, his time of arrival to the NHL is taking longer.:o

Hopefully he will get there later on this season.

16 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

This is a hockey forum..I will be more than happy to to concede to you (ecstatic,in fact) that I was brutally wrong .... if Juolevi does indeed..live up to a 5th OA after 200 games....

What you're basically saying is that he has to be a 1st pairing D-man after 200 games..no pressure there?

Who said that? How long did Josi take to be a  top pairing dman? 5-6 years right? By 200 games however we should be able to see what his ceiling is. 

Perhaps take reading comprehension from grade 6 again. 

22 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Who said that? How long did Josi take to be a  top pairing dman? 5-6 years right? By 200 games however we should be able to see what his ceiling is. 

Perhaps take reading comprehension from grade 6 again. 

Lol..whats with the petty insults.?..So,its going to take 6+ years since he was drafted to see what his ceiling is?...okey dokey.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Lol..whats with the petty insults.?..So,its going to take 6+ years since he was drafted to see what his ceiling is?...okey dokey.

As I stated above to Alf your response is typical of those who want to bash our prospects. 

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/377676-olli-juolevi-d/?do=findComment&comment=14982796

You say 6 years but you ignore actual facts behind his development, yet a few posts prior try to pretend you incorporate it into your thinking.

6 years are not really “6 years” when 2 of those years have been effectively lost to injury are they? And guess what? Who cares? If he’s a number 1 or 2 by 24 years old is that a big deal to you? Lol.

But let’s also not forget you have to add in a year or two, or a year if you want to argue over it, for the strength he was known he needed to gain. So that’s what 3 years? 

You people think just because a player gets hurt in 2 of 3 years post draft he’s not lived up to his draft position. Even a MORON realizes evaluating an injured player on what he can be Doesn’t work since, drrr where are the data points? You and your cohort say oh I know he was hurt then go on to act like he wasn’t hurt and he’s played 240 games since being drafted and performed poorly - since that’s the only way one could make an assessment such as yours. Umm no, he’s been hurt, so how do you say he’s not living up to his potential? His potential doing what? Rehabbing? Is he not rehabbing fast enough? Ok sorry talk to the medical staff about that! 

AGAIN, Roman Josi took 5 years to become a top 4 NHL dman. Not even a top 2 (Weber was ahead of him). 

Al Arbour, who knows a hell of a lot more about hockey than you ever will, stated it takes about 200 games in the NHL to know what you have in a defenseman. But I guess you and your “circle of friends” from hockey forums know better than him from what? watching a kid rehab? 

Was he not scoring enough from the couch or press box when he couldn’t walk? Was he getting burned wide by guys on the ice while he was in the Utica press box eating popcorn watching? Did he not live up to being a top 5 pick because the Canucks chose not to call him up and play him with a torn knee ligament? Damn what a bad pick!! He should be able to be as good as Doughty on one leg! He must have no heart! The Canucks wanted him up on one leg but he passed right? Smh 

Move on, and when you learn about hockey come and chat. Until then I have better things to do than educate you. 

I find it ironic and humorous that EXACTLY how I explained how the trolls act on this site, you end up doing exactly that! Go figure! Lol

:frantic::picard:

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What needs to be taken into account is the fact that Juolevi took a season ending injury early into his 2018-2019 campaign. For all of the talk of Dmen that don't play in the NHL before their draft +4 usually not panning out, Juolevi likely would have played at some point last season if not for his injury.

And potentially the season prior. If you recall he injured his back in training the year prior and it hurt his chances in camp. He’s had two untimely and unlucky  injuries in two years - but our haters love ignoring that.

apparently OJ should be good enough to make the NHL and dominate as a top 2 because of his draft position despite injuries   . If you’re 5th overall you should be as good as doughty on one leg and a messed up back according to their logic. Lol

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I have searched for this comment by McKenzie, but have not found it.  Without the actual quote, I have difficulty with the wording of this post; especially concerning "stalled...or something very close to that."

He still has a ways to go to become a fixture in the Canucks lineup, but at just 21yrs, he still has the time to do so.

I have searched a lot as well and can't dig it up. Also they were talking about Smyl and another new west Bruin skating at a practice but i can't find anything on that as well. The main reason i brought it up was i was hoping someone had more info rather than the "he was having a great season"  and all the other comments that lend themselves to not actually knowing or seeing a player during a game and just going off a stat sheet etc. Likewise with the pom  poms comment lol.

I'm sure he will be fine, judging prospects before they hit the nhl is a fools game, i gave up back in the 80's on thinking too much on prospects. The ones you think will be good, bust and the ones you don't think about become regulars! I think Olli will be a full season more in the A before busting out to the NHL next year but who knows, sometimes injuries to an NHL roster force a young guy into becoming a pro much quicker.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Can you show me  an article stating where ( they)management believes OJs development has stalled. Media driven question turned belief.

Yeah no i have searched and can't find it, was hoping someone else had seen it and had more info on it if possible. Definitely was not media driven though but as it turned out the knee injury took care of that season.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What needs to be taken into account is the fact that Juolevi took a season ending injury early into his 2018-2019 campaign. For all of the talk of Dmen that don't play in the NHL before their draft +4 usually not panning out, Juolevi likely would have played at some point last season if not for his injury.

Another thing is common sense for all fans! I was just thinking about Cam Barker and what a great junior career and high draft pick turned out to have a hard time in the NHL... at a similar time Mark Giordano was unknown and went undrafted... great NHL career and becomes a captain and wins the Norris. One just never knows what will happen :)

11 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I think you need to read other people’s posts better, I think you need to learn how you speak to others, and finally learn that opinions of hockey players aren’t worth your anger. 

Have a nice life, there’s a reason I had you on block and now I remember 

Join the club.

6 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

So you want s Canucks Booster Club type atmosphere....Is that what other posters want though?

Most of us want normal Canuck type chatter WITHOUT the regular negative nancies droning on and on and on and on about picking a different player in a previous draft (thanks to those captain hindsight posters - very brilliant of them) or how, in their professional opinion (:lol:) a prospect is a bust before they played an NHL game.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

I feel like people just don't get to watch him play so they start panicking. It's not like he hasn't played well. He's just been injured a lot. He still projects as roughly a #3 on a good team which I think is fair. He's better than Jet Woo in my opinion, and probably will have a better career from a scoring perspective too. 

Juolevi has taken 2 big steps from OHL -> Liiga -> AHL and done pretty well in smaller samples. With the way the Comets are lining up this year, I expect he will be able to produce pretty well from the backend. Would love to see him around 0.7 points per game or so. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 5.20.03 PM.png

Excellent post.

I wonder how the borderline Canuck fans in this thread will spin this one   :lol:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 4:50 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Oli ...is 21 years old...one year older than Quinn...minus a years worth of injury setback...they are entering this year on a more or less even playing field...so Oli may yet surprise you folks....

ALSO....anyone expecting a 5th overall to be a superstar...just because they were picked 5th....sigh.....even 1st overall is no guarantee of a first liner ...let alone a Superstar...

this is why JT Miller was such a good trade...although my expert eye would see Tkachuk as a better player than Miller in their stages of development. Having said this, OJ is also still developing...they need to develop him correctly...if he is NHL ready, then he should play in the NHL not in Utica.

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2019 at 3:14 PM, Alflives said:

Hawks, during their rebuild that got them a young core that won three Cups, drafted Barker at 3OA and Skille at 8OA.  Every team misses some picks.  Not saying OJ is a miss, but getting Petey and Hughes is the key to us winning three Cups in the coming decade. 

Getting Podkolzin...yeah man, just wait and see.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:10 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

About what?   That OJ is a stud prospect and had an excellent first year as a pro in Finland?    Yup - very much so.    You and others can wallow away in a narrative that will not be rewarded.....knock yourselves out.   Seriously.   :)

Same line of thinking...Tkachuk had a excellent 3 years playing in the NHL...still hoping on OJ, but tempered expectations will take some pressure off OJ's back.