10 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

What have you seen that supports this claim? Clendening was a more proven AHL player but still couldn’t get it together in the NHL. 1st round D-men bust more than they live up to expectations. Nothing really screams to me that he is going to be just fine. 

It kinda looks like you hope he fails.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It kinda looks like you hope he fails.

Hope is not the same and taking in the information and spitting out an opinion. I have stated multiple times that I like the Juolevi pick and would never hold it against Benning because we had to take a chance on a D. He was by all accounts the best D man in his draft class. What happened to Benning has happened to every franchise over and over again in the 1st round. Predicting the outcome of a 18 year old kid playing defence is the hardest thing there is for a pro scout. I don’t hope he fails, I have come to terms with the fact that he most likely will. Pretty big difference. 

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't know how you can think that he'll fail with anything resembling certainty any more than someone else can be convinced that he'll succeed. If it were a situation where he had regressed every step of the way, that would be something, but that just isn't the case. Yes, he had a poor year in his draft +1 and a poor camp that year, but he also took some significant strides after that, arguably finishing his draft +2 season as TPS Turku's number one defenseman. After that he had a pretty solid training camp last season and, despite having some defensive deficiencies, managed to be very productive in Utica before going down to injury.  I just don't see how anyone can look at a 21 year old defenseman that's performed well in every league he's played in up to this point and say that he's most likely a bust. 

Sometimes it’s not their fault. Injuries man. You are underestimating the significance of major injuries. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eliminating expectations for him. It’s unfortunate but he has a really major hill to climb. He had 2 major surgeries in a calendar year. Not finger surgery, back and knee surgery. To completely ignore that is just as bad if not worse than ignoring his progress. 

44 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Sometimes it’s not their fault. Injuries man. You are underestimating the significance of major injuries. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eliminating expectations for him. It’s unfortunate but he has a really major hill to climb. He had 2 major surgeries in a calendar year. Not finger surgery, back and knee surgery. To completely ignore that is just as bad if not worse than ignoring his progress. 

I really think it depends on the quality of the player as to what toll injuries play. Boeser took an absolutely devastating back injury at the end of the 17-18 season, had has battled wrist injuries for years now. Both required surgery, and yet he's still a quality hockey player.

I think Juolevi is smart enough and talented enough to battle through his injury woes. Not saying he will for sure, but I really think he has what it takes.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I really think it depends on the quality of the player as to what toll injuries play. Boeser took an absolutely devastating back injury at the end of the 17-18 season, had has battled wrist injuries for years now. Both required surgery, and yet he's still a quality hockey player.

I think Juolevi is smart enough and talented enough to battle through his injury woes. Not saying he will for sure, but I really think he has what it takes.

I hope so too, I’m just not in anyway expecting it. I thought his progression was on a normal pace until these injuries. 

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

hfboards.com is that way man.  &^@# sakes.  

Why does everyone have to pick a fight? I’m not here to fight with anyone. I’m not sure if it’s a reading comprehension problem? Maybe my ability to articulate is lacking? A combination of the 2? I don’t understand. If a 21 year old prospect with 2 major surgeries in a calder doesn’t warrant a degree of concern, then i give up. I can look at Juolevi from both sides of the spectrum. I can be hopeful with no expectations, can’t I? Telling me to go to the HF Boards because you don’t agree with me is the very definition of Trolling. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Why does everyone have to pick a fight? I’m not here to fight with anyone. I’m not sure if it’s a reading comprehension problem? Maybe my ability to articulate is lacking? A combination of the 2? I don’t understand. If a 21 year old prospect with 2 major surgeries in a calder doesn’t warrant a degree of concern, then i give up. I can look at Juolevi from both sides of the spectrum. I can be hopeful with no expectations, can’t I? Telling me to go to the HF Boards because you don’t agree with me is the very definition of Trolling. 

Bubble Boy.  It’s a Canuck’s fan board.  Fans will fanatically defend their team’s players.  

Juiolevi has had had two surgeries.  Every surgery, where general anesthesia is used is a major, and very serious.  

I look at OJ’s surgeries as positive.  He was playing with an injured back, yet still did well.  He was playing with an injured knee, and did well.  When healthy, OJ is going to player really well.  He will be on our team by Christmas, and in our top four soon after.  He’s big, can skate, moves the puck extremely well with his feet or by pass, and he’s super hockey smart.  

• Hydration 2

24 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think it may have to do with your approach to a topic.  Once you make a statement about something, it seems like you just can't let go of it.  You keep repeating your assessment over and over, as if you are going to finally convince people that your argument is the right one.

In your opinion, Juolevi has had 2 major surgeries, but other people (some with medical or experiential background) have stated the opposite.  So far, I haven't seen anyone produce a medical report that verifies anything that has been said.

What you say about Juolevi may be true, but is also ok for people remain hopeful that he will pan out; at least until he has proven that he won't.

It's a tricky thing to offer up negative posts about the Canucks around here.  I have done so on occasion, but I try to word my thoughts in a way that doesn't turn into a mud flinging match.  I have come to realize that my opinion is of no more value than anyone else; all will be forgotten with in a short time anyways.

Besides...we are all Canucks.

I don’t really see how I degraded OJ with blind hatred. I have said over and over again that I like the pick. I liked his development curve. It’s selective comprehension. Injuries are setbacks.  

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bubble Boy.  It’s a Canuck’s fan board.  Fans will fanatically defend their team’s players.  

Juiolevi has had had two surgeries.  Every surgery, where general anesthesia is used is a major, and very serious.  

I look at OJ’s surgeries as positive.  He was playing with an injured back, yet still did well.  He was playing with an injured knee, and did well.  When healthy, OJ is going to player really well.  He will be on our team by Christmas, and in our top four soon after.  He’s big, can skate, moves the puck extremely well with his feet or by pass, and he’s super hockey smart.  

OJ isn’t 1990 Honda Civic with a bad fuel pump. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

I don’t really see how I degraded OJ with blind hatred. I have said over and over again that I like the pick. I liked his development curve. It’s selective comprehension. Injuries are setbacks.  

OJ isn’t 1990 Honda Civic with a bad fuel pump. 

I don't see that either. 

Read my post again.  You are entitled to your opinion.  I guess it's just a case of 'less is more'.

bubble boy seems like a pretty reasonable critic tbh.

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

For some reason this OJ thread is the worst one for flaming any kind of criticism or concern, even when expressed without malice. 

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

For some reason this OJ thread is the worst one for flaming any kind of criticism or concern, even when expressed without malice. 

And we think this thread is bad...what does that make Jakes thread lol? That is one doosey of a thread to wade through :frantic:

30 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

And we think this thread is bad...what does that make Jakes thread lol? That is one doosey of a thread to wade through :frantic:

Seems that Jake;s detractors haven;t been so harsh lately.  I think that is why it seems to be OJ's turn as a whipping boy.  :)

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I only chime into this thread occasionally,  but when I do I find most of the criticism/concern is based upon little fact and a lot of overblown conjecture/speculation unfortunately ( not by you necessarily ).

Every level he's played at he's been a productive,  contributing member of his team and demonstrated growth as a player - that is a fact backed up by his stats, playing time,  and coaches comments.   

Other than the fact he has suffered injuries  (a situation controlled by no one I might add), what actual facts back up the criticism some people are presenting towards this player?   

Edited by Fanuck
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

My expectations for OJ at the time of the draft was he would turn into a top 2 dman, he still might but it looks like top 4 is where he will head. I'm confident he will be a NHL player. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

I have a feeling Olli will surprise a lot of us when he gets a mid-season call up and he sticks around with the team for the rest of the season.

Agreed, people have just lost patience and sight of how good of a prospect Juolevi is. If he looks ready for some NHL minutes then you trade Tanev for what you can get at the deadline. Hopefully Tanev can stay healthy until then and fetch a 1st