The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

He was also - 4 in his last 4 games and a plus player in 3 out of 18 games. I know +/- can be skewed if you are playing a shutdown role. As an AHL rookie he wasnt in that role and rightfully so.  People always say its a meaningless stat. I guess its just a coincidence that the Canucks wanted to improve there D and the two main guys the sent out were Huttton -23 and Guddy -27 the two worst +/- players on the team. The 3rd worst player was -12. 

It's not a meaningless stat, it's just not an individual stat.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

He was also - 4 in his last 4 games and a plus player in 3 out of 18 games. I know +/- can be skewed if you are playing a shutdown role. As an AHL rookie he wasnt in that role and rightfully so.  People always say its a meaningless stat. I guess its just a coincidence that the Canucks wanted to improve there D and the two main guys the sent out were Huttton -23 and Guddy -27 the two worst +/- players on the team. The 3rd worst player was -12. 

Have a look at the Utica team +/- stats.  Overall, they are poor defensively and most everyone on the team has a terrible  +/- .

Not an effective way to assess OJ's defencive game.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Have a look at the Utica team +/- stats.  Overall, they are poor defensively and most everyone on the team has a terrible  +/- .

Not an effective way to assess OJ's defencive game.

I agree you dont just asses a player based on +/- but it can be a good indication. -12 in 18 isnt a positive stat when you're playing sheltered AHL minutes. if he was +12 everyone would be pumping his tires. I wasnt trying to start a debate on +/-, just pointing out like most young D Olli needs to work on his game in his own zone. If you watched Utica play I think its pretty obvious.He looked great on the PP, offensively id say he was NHL ready. But still needs to up his compete and defensive game. It doesnt get easier as you move up. How would you assess OJ defensive game? do you think hes NHL ready?

Edited by Jtutino

22 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

I agree you dont just asses a player based on +/- but it can be a good indication. -12 in 18 isnt a positive stat when you're playing sheltered AHL minutes. if he was +12 everyone would be pumping his tires. I wasnt trying to start a debate on +/-, just pointing out like most young D Olli needs to work on his game in his own zone. If you watched Utica play I think its pretty obvious.He looked great on the PP, offensively id say he was NHL ready. But still needs to up his compete and defensive game. It doesnt get easier as you move up. How would you assess OJ defensive game? do you think hes NHL ready?

I think he needs more time in Utica.  Perhaps getting a callup after Xmas if he is playing well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

I think his knee injury that had his season shut down early was effecting his ability to react quickly defensively. A healthy Juolevi is better defensively IMO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think his knee injury that had his season shut down early was effecting his ability to react quickly defensively. A healthy Juolevi is better defensively IMO.

Considering that Hunter used him as his shutdown guy (while also sheltering a rookie), I have to agree.  He also was quite the offensive/defensive beast in the playoffs in his last year in Jrs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The Canucks’ left side on defence is pretty much set for the start of the season: the Canucks re-signed Alex Edler and signed Jordie Benn and Oscar Fantenberg in free agency, while Quinn Hughes turned pro. That means Juolevi, barring injuries, will start the season in Utica again. He should still make his NHL debut next season at the age of 21 and that’s not a bad thing.
To show why that’s not a bad thing, let’s take a (somewhat) random sampling of top-end NHL defencemen. Of the 23 defenceman that received at least one vote for the Norris trophy last season, 10 of them didn’t make their NHL debut until they were at least 21, including Norris winner Mark Giordano. Another 10 (not necessarily the same 10) didn’t become full-time NHLers until they were at least 22.
Again, that doesn’t mean Juolevi’s going to be a Norris-caliber defenceman, just that it’s not an emergency that he has yet to play an NHL game.

Interesting part of the article considering I've read some dismay over his delay.

• Cheers 2

Who does Juolevi remind you of right now....Josi ...or Gragnani...?

For me, there is no comparison Gragnani just skated in circles, avoiding checks or making one...

Josi's calm but effective approach is just how Oli plays....

From the "pass it to Bulis article;

Josi bears the closest similarity to Juolevi according to pGPS.

Josi played his entire 20-year-old season in the AHL and didn’t make his NHL debut until he was 21, though he quickly established himself as a full-time NHLer. Now he’s a legitimate top-pairing defenceman, with six 40+ seasons under his belt, including 61 points in 2015-16.

That’s a best case scenario for Juolevi, but there are some cautionary tales among Juolevi’s cohort. For example, the players in Juolevi’s cohort with the closest similarity, higher than Josi, is Marc-Andre Gragnani.

Gragnani also made his AHL debut at 20, putting up 52 points in 78 games. While he was an AHL star, winning the Eddie Shore Award in 2011 as the league’s best defenceman, he never quite established himself in the NHL. He played 78 NHL games, 14 of them for the Vancouver Canucks during the 2011-12 season, before heading to the KHL.

On 8/3/2019 at 11:37 PM, Heius Bettersson said:

If my memory serves me I thought he had a good playoff run the year he was in Finland too

top 4 in scoring in points for his team during their playoff run.   Although injury to the top 2, he clawed his way up the depth chart for his team when it mattered. he just turned 20 around that time too.

On 8/2/2019 at 2:22 PM, Jtutino said:

Cough, playing on a bad knee.  Cough.  

His defence could need work but it's just as likely that his defence suffered due to his knee injury.  

3 years post his draft and we still need to see the real OJ.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Cough, playing on a bad knee.  Cough.  

His defence could need work but it's just as likely that his defence suffered due to his knee injury.  

3 years post his draft and we still need to see the real OJ.  

Sure we have......a smooth skating two way dman with strong offensive instincts.  He's been the same player everywhere he's played, we just haven't seen enough of him

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3