The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

25 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I think it benefits O.J., The Canucks, and Utica to have Juolevi start down there. Even if he's ready

Agreed. But he won't be 100% ready after that kind of surgery and the amount of time he's had to get back on the ice and train hard anyways. 

If there are no injuries to the D. by the end of training camp...then I think they give Quinn a spot over Oli even if Oli has outperformed Quinn ( which I don't think will happen, but you never know)...

So that may leave Oli having to start the year in Utica ...but seriously with our injury history...how long will it be until a call up.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If there are no injuries to the D. by the end of training camp...then I think they give Quinn a spot over Oli even if Oli has outperformed Quinn ( which I don't think will happen, but you never know)...

So that may leave Oli having to start the year in Utica ...but seriously with our injury history...how long will it be until a call up.

They probably give OJ at least a couple months in Utica to get his legs back under him after missing so much hockey.

But he still won't be in our top 4 D by Xmas lol.  Neither will Hutton.  And neither will Stecher.

Hughes probably will be.

I am just going back to your prediction from February in my signature. You are such a homer you let your clouded vision let you make silly predictions. I am a Canuck homer too. I just try not to go over board with predictions like yours lol.  

Edit: some times it is hard not to though lol. ::D

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

They probably give OJ at least a couple months in Utica to get his legs back under him after missing so much hockey.

But he still won't be in our top 4 D by Xmas lol.  Neither will Hutton.  And neither will Stecher.

Hughes probably will be.

I am just going back to your prediction from February in my signature. You are such a homer you let your clouded vision let you make silly predictions. I am a Canuck homer too. I just try not to go over board with predictions like yours lol.  

Edit: some times it is hard not to though lol. ::D

OJ is in our top six by Christmas 2019.  Quinn Hughes is our top minute D man by game 3.  Quinn Hughes will score more than 60 points this year.  OJ will by a Huge part of our playoffs.  OJ is a Hamhuis type player.  Hughes is unique.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ is in our top six by Christmas 2019.  Quinn Hughes is our top minute D man by game 3.  Quinn Hughes will score more than 60 points this year.  OJ will by a Huge part of our playoffs.  OJ is a Hamhuis type player.  Hughes is unique.  

OJ is in our top six by Christmas 2019.  So Alf, you believe OJ will have gotten enough games at the AHL level by Christmas to be better at the NHL level than two of the following by Christmas:

Edler

Myers

Hughes

Tanev

Benn

Stecher

Fantenberg

Which two does OJ beat out to get that top 6 spot?

Quinn Hughes is our top minute D man by game 3. - So he will beat Edler out? I agree Hughes will probably take over the bulk of the PP minutes but not sure how long that takes. Hughes will not be our top minute guy by game 3.  Later on in the season?  Who knows.

Quinn Hughes will score more than 60 points this year.   So Hughes will be the first D man since Lidstrom in 91-92 to get 60 points as an NHL rookie D man when only 9 rookie D men in history have gotten that??    Yeah....I doubt it....but we shall see.  You also say OJ will be better than Dahlin.....hahaha.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

12 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

OJ is in our top six by Christmas 2019.  So Alf, you believe OJ will have gotten enough games at the AHL level by Christmas to be better at the NHL level than two of the following by Christmas:

Edler

Myers

Hughes

Tanev

Benn

Stecher

Fantenberg

Which two does OJ beat out to get that top 6 spot?

Quinn Hughes is our top minute D man by game 3. - So he will beat Edler out? I agree Hughes will probably take over the bulk of the PP minutes but not sure how long that takes. Hughes will not be our top minute guy by game 3.  Later on in the season?  Who knows.

Quinn Hughes will score more than 60 points this year.   So Hughes will be the first D man since Lidstrom in 91-92 to get 60 points as an NHL rookie D man when only 9 rookie D men in history have gotten that??    Yeah....I doubt it....but we shall see.  You also say OJ will be better than Dahlin.....hahaha.

Injuries will give OJ a call up, and he will show really well.

Hughes is a unique player, and we have a really good group of top notch scoring forwards now.  I see Hughes getting 60 plus points, and playing 22 plus minutes per game.  Green, when asked about Hughes’ minutes from the five games played at the end of last season, said he started at 14 minutes in game one, and the more minutes they gave him the better he played.  Quinn played over 22 minutes in games four and five.  Green already knows how special a player Quinn is, and that Quinn can take on big minutes. Opportunity for both OJ and Quinn will allow them to show how good one is and how great the other is.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

He wasn't awful in his own end.  He had to make adjustments, for sure, but the defensive issues were team issues more than personal ones, imo 

Getting turnstyled repeatedly is not a team issue. I actually watched and rewatched those games - I bought the TV season pass for Utica to watch our young guys play. Jasek and Big Mac were good, so was Gaudette for the short while he was down there. Gadjovich and Lind really didn't play much, Palmu hardly at all, and Dahlin definitely liked the outside track. Juolevi looked great on the attack, but awful in his own end - during the time he was wracking up that huge minus, other defenders with more defensive responsibility were plusses - so it was not a 'team' thing.  Sautner and Brisbois were what we say here - steady but unspectacular. Biega looked like Bobby Orr in the few games he was down. My hope is that Juolevi's deficiencies were primarily physical in nature or simply a natural period of adjustment - but we won't know til we see him play again this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Getting turnstyled repeatedly is not a team issue. I actually watched and rewatched those games - I bought the TV season pass for Utica to watch our young guys play. Jasek and Big Mac were good, so was Gaudette for the short while he was down there. Gadjovich and Lind really didn't play much, Palmu hardly at all, and Dahlin definitely liked the outside track. Juolevi looked great on the attack, but awful in his own end - during the time he was wracking up that huge minus, other defenders with more defensive responsibility were plusses - so it was not a 'team' thing.  Sautner and Brisbois were what we say here - steady but unspectacular. Biega looked like Bobby Orr in the few games he was down. My hope is that Juolevi's deficiencies were primarily physical in nature or simply a natural period of adjustment - but we won't know til we see him play again this year.

I feel like a broken record here....I keep saying this fact...

Playing with a torn meniscus will cause you to play slower and in particular turn slower... turn too fast and you tear a bit more meniscus and feel a bit more pain...

This year we will see what we have in Oli, with the ability to move without pain I expect a much better reaction time on D.

17 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Playing with a torn meniscus will cause you to play slower and in particular turn slower... turn too fast and you tear a bit more meniscus and feel a bit more pain...

This year we will see what we have in Oli, with the ability to move without pain I expect a much better reaction time on D.

I’m curious as to how an injury that happened on Nov 17 affected his play in games prior?  You do realize that he never played another game after injuring his knee. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospect-olli-juolevi-done-for-the-year-after-knee-surgery

Juolevi was injured by a hit in a game for the Utica (N.Y.) Comets on Nov. 17.

According to Benning, the defenceman said the knee didn’t feel right afterward.

The Utica Observer-Dispatch’s Ben Birnell said Juolevi practised with the Comets on Nov. 20. He was scratched the next game, on Nov. 21, and TSN 1040 radio reporter Jeff Paterson said it was only thought to be a “minor knock.”

However, the Canucks decided to fly him to Vancouver shortly thereafter.

Juolevi rehabilitated his knee “for a couple weeks” in Vancouver and had an MRI. He tried another brace just over a week ago and then skated a handful more times but was still feeling discomfort.

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

There is no confirmation, that I am aware of, that he was playing with a torn meniscus until they shut him down. Why they would play a guy for 17 games with a torn meniscus is beyond me - which is why my caveat - if true playing with that injury.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There is no confirmation, that I am aware of, that he was playing with a torn meniscus until they shut him down. Why they would play a guy for 17 games with a torn meniscus is beyond me - which is why my caveat - if true playing with that injury.

Plays don’t say anything about some small things, because they feel they can play through them.  Look at guys with sore groins, who say nothing and keep playing only to need surgery later on.  I 100% believe OJ was playing (not hurt, which he thought) but injured for those games.  

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Plays don’t say anything about some small things, because they feel they can play through them.  Look at guys with sore groins, who say nothing and keep playing only to need surgery later on.  I 100% believe OJ was playing (not hurt, which he thought) but injured for those games.  

Two posts above yours confirms he was not in anyway bothered by his knee as he hadn’t hurt it yet. 

He injured his knee from being hit on Nov 17 and never played another game that season. 

/debate 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’m curious as to how an injury that happened on Nov 17 affected his play in games prior?  You do realize that he never played another game after injuring his knee. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospect-olli-juolevi-done-for-the-year-after-knee-surgery

I did hard physical labour for weeks ...several times ...after tearing my meniscus...it usually happens bit by bit you hear a pop in the worst cases and feel pain and then one big tear (Oli getting hit from the side) convinces you to go see a doc.

I believe that is the case with Oli...if you look at him turn, it probably hasn't improved much since junior ...this may be why, we will see shortly.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The Utica Observer-Dispatch’s Ben Birnell said Juolevi practised with the Comets on Nov. 20. He was scratched the next game, on Nov. 21, and TSN 1040 radio reporter Jeff Paterson said it was only thought to be a “minor knock.”

This fact just goes to prove my theory....a minor knock, if it is from the side can cause a major tear were there was only minor tears...maybe combining some smaller tears into one large tear and therefore destabilization of the knee joint...

18 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

My hope is that Juolevi's deficiencies were primarily physical in nature or simply a natural period of adjustment - but we won't know til we see him play again this year.

I think determining whether or not his defensive issues in Utica were part of a trend or whether they were more anomalous in nature when stacked up against the rest of his career thus far could give us some insight. As far as I can tell his defensive issues are more-or-less something unique to his stint in the AHL. 

juolevi.png

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

This fact just goes to prove my theory....a minor knock, if it is from the side can cause a major tear were there was only minor tears...maybe combining some smaller tears into one large tear and therefore destabilization of the knee joint...

Haha man you are so desperate for excuses. Whatever you say doctor recchi.

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Two posts above yours confirms he was not in anyway bothered by his knee as he hadn’t hurt it yet. 

He injured his knee from being hit on Nov 17 and never played another game that season. 

/debate 

Name a player who doesn’t play hurt.  OJ was playing with a sore knee.  It got worse as he played more.  It’s common.  OJ will look amazing to fans this camp.  People will make silly comments about how surprised they are at how well he skates, and how good he is.  There will be comparisons to Hiskanen.  OJ is great.  Hughes and OJ make us great.