The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think determining whether or not his defensive issues in Utica were part of a trend or whether they were more anomalous in nature when stacked up against the rest of his career thus far could give us some insight. As far as I can tell his defensive issues are more-or-less something unique to his stint in the AHL. 

juolevi.png

He didn’t play a single game with Demko in net. That’ll sure hurt your +/-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought OJ looked surprisingly good at camp last season. Not saying he can make the team out of the gate, especially coming off a crushing injury, but he's taken some significant strides since being drafted, and has proven that he can be an effective player in every league he's played in. His defensive play last year in Utica is something to think about, but when putting it up against the rest of his career thus far, it seems to be anomalous in nature. 

It's important to note that he's probably going to need quite a bit of time to catch up this season. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he struggles in Utica early on. Expecting him to come back 100% after being out for nearly a year would be asinine, although I don't doubt that a handful of people claiming to be "realistic" will be writing him off before too long, or at the very least using these hypothetical early struggles as a proper gauge for how Juolevi projects in the long run which is, again, asinine.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Quinn Hughes is our top minute D man by game 3. - So he will beat Edler out? I agree Hughes will probably take over the bulk of the PP minutes but not sure how long that takes. Hughes will not be our top minute guy by game 3.  Later on in the season?  Who knows.

I think it's more that the Canucks don't need to ride Edler as much anymore.  Hughes is much younger, thus he is more durable and can recover much quicker.  

The Canucks would be better served by having Edler more fresh during the stretch run in securing a playoff position and when the intensity gets higher.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I think it's more that the Canucks don't need to ride Edler as much anymore.  Hughes is much younger, thus he is more durable and can recover much quicker.  

The Canucks would be better served by having Edler more fresh during the stretch run in securing a playoff position and when the intensity gets higher.  

You forget the fact that Hughes is going to be playing more than twice as many games, if healthy, and will be traveling more frequently. 

That adjustment is harder for defenseman than it is forwards, considering the fact that they play a lot more and are harder to shelter as rookies. They should keep tabs on him as the season progresses. If he has troubles adjusting to the schedule later in the year, like Petterrsson, due to fatigue and not being use to and 82 then we have a guy like Edler to rely on.

One thing is for certain our young guys are gonna be deadly as they fully establish themselves.

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

This is a fair sentiment.  But anyone saying he will be our highest minute D man by game 3 is being silly. 

1. stats don't work with tiny samples

2. hughes has played 5 nhl games so making this statement is asinine

3. .....forgot what this was....lost interest lol

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Name a player who doesn’t play hurt.  OJ was playing with a sore knee.  It got worse as he played more.  It’s common.  OJ will look amazing to fans this camp.  People will make silly comments about how surprised they are at how well he skates, and how good he is.  There will be comparisons to Hiskanen.  OJ is great.  Hughes and OJ make us great.  

He wasn’t playing with a sore knee. His knee did not bother him until he took a hit after which it didn’t feel right. Those are his very own words. 

Why are some people so desperate to have Joulevi succeed that they are willing to make up excuses for his flaws despite it being perfectly normal for a 22 year old D to still have flaws, he’s not and is not expected to a complete product yet. 

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do you want to be right, or do you want OJ to look great come camp?  

I could care less what he looks like during camp, he’s not making the team right away. Regardless of what ever fake excuses people want to make up, it has zero impact on him being ready/healthy. I mean you might as well make up a rumour that he was asked to hold back his effort since being drafted just to give other kids a head start. 

The problem is people need to temper their expectations. All he’s done since being drafted is prove that he’s still a decent prospect. People are so invested in him being an elite player or becoming better than tkachuk that you have people going far to the other extreme and pegging him to be the next lindstrom.... People need to take a breath... What happens if Joulevi regresses this year in the AHL? You’re going to have people jumping off a bridge not knowing how to cope. Let him play, let him develop into his own player, at his own pace. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He wasn’t playing with a sore knee. His knee did not bother him until he took a hit after which it didn’t feel right. Those are his very own words. 

Why are some people so desperate to have Joulevi succeed that they are willing to make up excuses for his flaws despite it being perfectly normal for a 22 year old D to still have flaws, he’s not and is not expected to a complete product yet. 

I could care less what he looks like during camp, he’s not making the team right away. Regardless of what ever fake excuses people want to make up, it has zero impact on him being ready/healthy. I mean you might as well make up a rumour that he was asked to hold back his effort since being drafted just to give other kids a head start. 

The problem is people need to temper their expectations. All he’s done since being drafted is prove that he’s still a decent prospect. People are so invested in him being an elite player or becoming better than tkachuk that you have people going far to the other extreme and pegging him to be the next lindstrom.... People need to take a breath... What happens if Joulevi regresses this year in the AHL? You’re going to have people jumping off a bridge not knowing how to cope. Let him play, let him develop into his own player, at his own pace. 

I agree.

No sense rushing a prospect when he's not ready yet.  Look how well that worked out for Edmonton.  We need to be patient.  We can afford to be patient since JB acquired some much needed depth on the blueline (Myers & Benn).  Plus it usually takes longer for D men to develop and step into the league anyways.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah, because players never lie when it comes to any potential injuries. If they can still play, then they aren't going to tell you about any soreness or lingering issues. Unless it is pretty damn obvious, then they will always tell you they are fine.

People wouldn't need to be defending Juolevi if he wasn't constantly being trashed from day one of being drafted. Go cry more about it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Yeah, because players never lie when it comes to any potential injuries. If they can still play, then they aren't going to tell you about any soreness or lingering issues. Unless it is pretty damn obvious, then they will always tell you they are fine.

Yeah no. Not how it works at all. If we ever get injured we tell the staff even if it’s minor. They are there to help. You got every type of doctor and other medical staff like massage therapy with the team, so keeping things quite is just plain stupid and could end up injuring you more long term.

The only time players withhold how much pain they are in is when they don’t want to be held out of an important game. 

48 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

People wouldn't need to be defending Juolevi if he wasn't constantly being trashed from day one of being drafted. Go cry more about it.

It wasn’t sore because he hadn’t injured it yet. It’s not rocket science. He got hit during a game on Nov 17 and said his knee never felt the same afterwards....and never played another game for the rest of the season. 

There was zero indication or reason to believe his knee was bothering him prior. The only reason it’s come up is people like you looking for excuses as to why he is slow on his pivots. So you make up crap from fantasy land without any evidence to support. Even if it is directly disputed by the player himself. 

22 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Soo there's no evidence or proof of this injury but you are still sticking to your guns simply because.... Why?.....how about maybe he just struggled defensively and needs to work on his explosiveness, because that's a normal thing some players need to do, you know, work on things.

He had a good season but it wasn't perfect. Oh the horror of admitting the truth....

And no he wasn't trashed since day one.  More made up crap

Yes, he was trashed since day one because he wasn't Tkachuk. So, it's you making up crap. But, you are the user who loves trashing our prospects, so I'm not surprised you'd say that crap.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah no. Not how it works at all. If we ever get injured we tell the staff even if it’s minor. They are there to help. You got every type of doctor and other medical staff like massage therapy with the team, so keeping things quite is just plain stupid and could end up injuring you more long term.

Umm, yeah, actually that is how it works. It happens all the time in hockey. Also, I didn't say they kept from the medical staff, so stop lying. The medical staff are also in on it. There are plenty of times where they will let the players play through something unless they know it will become worse if played on.

Nice try, but you fail again. Just like you always do.

• Cheers 1

On 8/28/2019 at 2:12 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Two posts above yours confirms he was not in anyway bothered by his knee as he hadn’t hurt it yet. 

He injured his knee from being hit on Nov 17 and never played another game that season. 

/debate 

Interesting. Is there a source for this, cuz this is concerning  if those preceding games represented his play as a healthy player.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:29 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think determining whether or not his defensive issues in Utica were part of a trend or whether they were more anomalous in nature when stacked up against the rest of his career thus far could give us some insight. As far as I can tell his defensive issues are more-or-less something unique to his stint in the AHL. 

juolevi.png

Or the limit of his effectiveness at this level of play.