Juo is money in the bank. With Edler inked he has sometime to develop and that’s ok. 

Think Pod, Juo, and Jake hitting their stride in the nhl all around the same time. 3 years from now is this groups time and they will have a short window to get it done before prospects and cap push a few of them out. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, stawns said:

Sure we have......a smooth skating two way dman with strong offensive instincts.  He's been the same player everywhere he's played, we just haven't seen enough of him

Agreed, I want more OJ like Christopher Walken needs more cow bell.  

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2019 at 10:15 AM, stawns said:

It's not a meaningless stat, it's just not an individual stat.

it's an individual stat that contributes to the team stat....both matter, which means it cannot be ignored.

...like I've pointed out in the past, the team's with "+" make the playoffs and the teams with "-" do not....however, just need to look down the lineup to see who has contributed to the overall, then look at their match ups compared with others....it's just one piece to the puzzle in order to finish the puzzle.

I'd have liked to see OJ with the same amount of points, but a "+ 13" rather than a "-13".

That "-13" cannot be ignored...maybe playing on a bad knee contributed to it, but it is a negative to his somewhat positive outlook...I believe OJ is a good offensive defensive defenceman, but there is a question mark because of the "+/-"

Edited by Pete M

On 8/5/2019 at 7:53 AM, GoldenAlien said:

Let's look at cerebral defensemen:

Duncan Keith 

:blink:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dungass said:

I'm very aware how unpopular it is on this fan-based website to say anything negative about our guys.  So I'll choose my words carefully.  I bought the Comet's streaming package last year, in large part to watch OJ (but was generally very excited for the team).  What I noticed was a kid with smooth skating, soft hands, fantastic at defensive zone exits.  I also noticed that he had a lot of trouble in the corners and effectively tying or clearing his man from the front of the net.  Basically, some great hockey tools, but lacking the physicality of a NHL d-man.  

I would think that's a common issue for 20 yo defensemen, regardless of draft placement. Exceptions are the Ekblad/Gudbranson types that already have that NHL frame when they play in juniors. 

• Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, Dungass said:

I'm very aware how unpopular it is on this fan-based website to say anything negative about our guys.  So I'll choose my words carefully.  I bought the Comet's streaming package last year, in large part to watch OJ (but was generally very excited for the team).  What I noticed was a kid with smooth skating, soft hands, fantastic at defensive zone exits.  I also noticed that he had a lot of trouble in the corners and effectively tying or clearing his man from the front of the net.  Basically, some great hockey tools, but lacking the physicality of a NHL d-man.  

He did have his knee, too. I highly doubt that it didn’t impact his play in some case. 

Olli is still a big kid, so really all this is at this point is confidence. Confidence can be taught, the other stuff he has, that can’t. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dungass said:

ban GIF

Just kidding, it's a fair assessment. I think his physicality will progress more along the lines of an Edler. A lot of good dmen don't play the physical game impressively, but they play it smart and that comes from seasoning and learning from vets on what you can cheat a little on and the limits you can push. If that is the biggest concern, then I'm happy with the progress so far.

• Haha 3

I just listened to Craig Button from a couple of years ago talking about Juolevi. He said it is very hard to find very good defence men, you have to draft them.

He said Juolevi is not flashy but he will be a very good defence man who will play 15 years in the NHL.

He will get the puck very quickly out of his own end, up to the forwards.

I agree with Button, it’s been a wait because of injuries, but I hope he makes his NHL debut this year.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

12 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Very good points. Good enough that the haters will need to completely ignore them if they want to continue to pretend that OJ's +/- last year means he is a crappy player. Like the clown who expected him to be able to produce a plus-13 in an 18 game stretch where the team was minus-23.

obviously you didn't get the point about "+/-"...feel free to ignore that stat and stay ignorant.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Very good points. Good enough that the haters will need to completely ignore them if they want to continue to pretend that OJ's +/- last year means he is a crappy player. Like the clown who expected him to be able to produce a plus-13 in an 18 game stretch where the team was minus-23.

nothing against OJ... however, there were good players on the team that were "+" players ....they too played on this crappy team. OJ still has some development to do with his "D" game.

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

Edited by Pete M
add
  • Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

So the boys with "+" stat must be incredibly good players by you logic...they too played on this crappy team.

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

Did you come to the thread just to crap on the player?

Got anything else...

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

nothing against OJ... however, there were good players on the team that were "+" players ....they too played on this crappy team. OJ still has some development to do with his "D" game.

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

What is your point again about +/- in a small amount of games?

Are you trying to say it means something?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Did you come to the thread just to crap on the player?

Got anything else...

8 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What is your point again about +/- in a small amount of games?

Are you trying to say it means something?

just stating facts dudes...when another poster is pointing out facts as well...OJ's has potential and he will be an NHLer, but the 18pts with "-12" tells me he has some development to do on his "D" game at the pro level compared to some other "D" who are on the same crappy team. (by the way, the team wasn't crappy until they lost Sautner, Schenn, Blujus and Brisebois ...all "+" players).

Edited by Pete M
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

just stating facts dudes...when another poster is pointing out facts as well...OJ's has potential and he will be an NHLer, but the 18pts with "-12" tells me he has some development to do on his "D" game at the pro level compared to some other "D" who are on the same crappy team. (by the way, the team wasn't crappy until they lost Sautner, Schenn, Blujus and ...all "+" players).

You have essentially said the same thing three times in three posts. Now a 4th.  

Without adding anything.  The point was made on the first go...

On 8/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, Pete M said:

OJ needs to come to camp healthy and if he is ready to play NHL level, then he needs to be given the chance...already think he will be an upgrade on Hutton, Pouliot, MDZ, etc.

This is better. Positive at least?  Still short of a lot of substance.

If you have anything regarding what will improve his +/-?  That would  be better.  Look at Dungass's comment?

12 hours ago, Dungass said:

Its critical.  But had some observation, some points about where he could improve. What he did that was exciting.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You have essentially said the same thing three times in three posts. Now a 4th.  

Without adding anything.  The point was made on the first go...

This is better. Positive at least?  Still short of a lot of substance.

If you have anything regarding what will improve his +/-?  That would  be better.  Look at Dungass's comment?

Its critical.  But had some observation, some points about where he could improve. What he did that was exciting.

no I said several different things..you just don't get it....

A player can get points and everyone can point it out that OJ got 18 pts....but god forbid when you point out that he was "-12", which means he was on the ice for 30 goals against.

He needs to improve on his defensive game by focusing on defense first....he is not helping the team when he played 18 games and was on the ice for 30 goals against.

Edited by Pete M

Just now, Pete M said:

no I said several different things..you just don't get it....

A player can get points and everyone can point it out that OJ got 18 pts....but god forbid when you point out that he was "-12", which means he was on the ice for 30 goals against.

He needs to improve on his defensive game by focusing on defense first....he is not helping the team when he played 18 games and was on the ice for 30 goals against.

Yup, I don't get that you are doing more than picking on his +/-.  What did I miss?  

• Like 1

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Yup, I don't get that you are doing more than picking on his +/-.  What did I miss?  

carry on dude

• Haha 2