The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

OJ going hard at Gadjo. I don't think his knee should be tested this early. With full weight and compression of hard board battles with bigger guys. IMHO

I think he's going to overdo it  because he's got something to prove. Wonder if he's wearing a knee brace or support.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I love hearing this. No rush needed. Let Olli take a place on the 3rd line on the Canucks so he can get up to speed late in the season. Then hopefully he just continues to develop and becomes a very solid guy for us.

The spotlight has burned out many a player. Just look at some contracts that have been handed out to really good players and they just bust.......this isn't rocket science but a lot of patience is needed.

58 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

They're not going to be able to send Olli down.

They'll have to make other arrangements.

He will force his way up the lineup.

It would be unfair to hold him back now that he is ready.

He's missed nearly a year of hockey and his conditioning isn't where it needs to be at the moment. This is only a developmental camp, let him go to training camp and see how he does before you start pencilling him into the lineup.

A few months in Utica will do him good before a Tanev trade. Coming out of the deadline one could easily see a lineup such as

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Benn

Juolevi-Stecher

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

He's missed nearly a year of hockey and his conditioning isn't where it needs to be at the moment. This is only a developmental camp, let him go to training camp and see how he does before you start pencilling him into the lineup.

A few months in Utica will do him good before a Tanev trade. Coming out of the deadline one could easily see a lineup such as

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Benn

Juolevi-Stecher

(I didn't just start having this opinion at the development camp, I have been predicting that OJ will make the team for a few months.)

If Olli shows to be a top 6 defenseman at training camp, I believe it would be a mistake to make him return to Utica.

If he's not ready, he's not ready, but if he is, why wouldn't we want him on the team?

This new phase for the team means we are going to be able to (have to) make some tough decisions and let some pretty good players go.

Just because he doesn't have to clear waivers, doesn't mean he should get sent down.

We want to ice the best team possible from the outset.

Points in October are worth almost as much as points in March.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

(I didn't just start having this opinion at the development camp, I have been predicting that OJ will make the team for a few months.)

If Olli shows to be a top 6 defenseman at training camp, I believe it would be a mistake to make him return to Utica.

If he's not ready, he's not ready, but if he is, why wouldn't we want him on the team?

This new phase for the team means we are going to be able to (have to) make some tough decisions and let some pretty good players go.

Just because he doesn't have to clear waivers, doesn't mean he should get sent down.

We want to ice the best team possible from the outset.

Points in October are worth almost as much as points in March.

Barring injuries, whether he shows he's ready or not, there's simply no room for him.

Benning has already stated he's starting in Utica. It's the best spot for him to get lots of minutes, in all situations and get his legs under him after missing a LOT of hockey. Then if he looks too good for that level sooner than expected, hopefully we can pounce on a Tanev trade sooner than later when other teams start getting injuries. If not, I doubt we see him 'permanently' recalled until at least +/- Christmas.

On another note, as nice as it is to read/see OJ doing so well...that one clip showing Hughes blasting off from centre ice....the kid looks even faster than last year! :shock::wub:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Benn

Juolevi-Stecher

After the first injury to a D.,....so by game 2 (ha,ha) Oli will be up and playing 2nd pairing minutes within a few more games of that...so while I think they start him in Utica just because they can ..but won't be sending him down once he gets up here.

40 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If Oli is ready...and it seems he is looking that way ...why do we assume he should still be left down in Utica until the TDL ...when we are all calling for Quinn to make it out of camp...even though he is younger and smaller and has had less pro experience...OPTICS...

Let's let his play have a say...!

Because Hughes is also ready and also represents a more needed element/play style on the team (and hasn't missed a bunch of the last two years of playing hockey). 

OJ will be here soon enough.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Edler   Myers

Hughes  Tanev

Benn  Stecher

Fantenberg

Management will want to see how Fantenberg does, so expect to see Olli start of in Utica.  As always, the more depth on d is better for the injury laden Canucks.  It will also be paramount if the team gets to the playoffs.  Having decent depth in Utica will be a wonderful thing this year.

Olli will likely be a permanent Canuck before December,

I expect Biega will also be the 8th/spare right d as well.

Edler, Myers

Hughes, Tanev

Benn, Stecher

Fantenberg, Biega

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I expect Biega will also be the 8th/spare right d as well.

Edler, Myers

Hughes, Tanev

Benn, Stecher

Fantenberg, Biega

...That means we have to expose another forward to waiver's...and if they are serious about trying to give Erikkson a spot, that might be Goldy or Lievo that we have to expose...as well as sending AG down even if he earns a spot.

Ferland / EP / BB

Miller / BH / Pearson

Baer / Sutter / Virtanen

Motte / Beagle / Leivo

Erikkson, Goldy, Schaller, Gaudette and Roussel (when he get's back)

I think they only  carry 7 D. this year ...at least until some trades or injuries happen.