The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

32 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The guy could be ready, all his peers are playing at the NHL level already. If his skating, strength, and IQ all look like they are at an NHL level he could surprise out of camp. 

Olli has only played 56 games since his final Jr year and has had two shortened off seasons due to injuries.  Even if he looks ready early on, I doubt he would be able to get through a whole year of NHL hockey.  I think it would be better for his development to spend some time in Utica playing a lot of minutes and fine tuning his game; both physically and mentally.  The AHL is a slower paced game and there is more time off for young players, so they can continue to train and recuperate as needed.

No need to rush the kid.  Team needs to do right by him and make sure that when he comes to Vancouver, he is ready to stay.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Olli has only played 56 games since his final Jr year and has had two shortened off seasons due to injuries.  Even if he looks ready early on, I doubt he would be able to get through a whole year of NHL hockey.  I think it would be better for his development to spend some time in Utica playing a lot of minutes and fine tuning his game; both physically and mentally.  The AHL is a slower paced game and there is more time off for young players, so they can continue to train and recuperate as needed.

No need to rush the kid.  Team needs to do right by him and make sure that when he comes to Vancouver, he is ready to stay.

82 games over the last two years, including international. But I do know what you mean his workload would have to be managed, even Petey got tired at the end of the season last year.  

• Upvote 1

I get the feeling that some posters do not like the idea of OJ outplaying say, the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc, players that they have pencilled into their very logical and comprehensive prognostications for who will be on the starting lineup.

It doesn't fit the plan; it's not under the cap; etc.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for you guys and am sincere about your very good projections.

I just think there is also room for stuff to happen and I believe that Juolevi has the potential to upset the apple cart.

I don't think if OJ makes the 8th D, that it is a foregone conclusion that he makes the big club; he is very likely to be sent down in that case.

But I can see him beating out enough guys that he moves up the list, and if one or more D get traded or injured or sent down, he would be behind only Edler and Hughes on the left side, i.e. 5th or 6th D.  (I don't suppose you would allow me to project the possibility that if Edler or Hughes got injured, that Olli Juolevi could be our #3 or #4 defenceman playing his natural position on the left hand side.)

It may not be unreasonable to project that Juolevi does not need to outplay Myers, Hughes, Edler, Tanev, or even Stetcher to earn #6 D.

It also may not be unreasonable to think that he might be better than Benn, Fantenberg, Woo, Biega, Teves, Rafferty, Sautner, Brisebois, Eliot, Chatfield, Utunun,  (who'd I miss)?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I get the feeling that some posters do not like the idea of OJ outplaying say, the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc, players that they have pencilled into their very logical and comprehensive prognostications for who will be on the starting lineup.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for you guys and am sincere about your very good projections.

I just think there is also room for stuff to happen and I believe that Juolevi has the potential to upset the apple cart.

I don't think if OJ makes the 8th D, that it is a foregone conclusion that he makes the big club; he is very likely to be sent down in that case.

But I can see him beating out enough guys that he moves up the list, and if one or more D get traded or injured or sent down, he would be behind only Edler and Hughes on the left side, i.e. 5th or 6th D.  (I don't suppose you would allow me to project the possibility that if Edler or Hughes got injured, that Olli Juolevi could be our #3 or #4 defenceman playing his natural position on the left hand side.)

It may not be unreasonable to project that Juolevi does not need to outplay Myers, Hughes, Edler, Tanev, or even Stetcher to earn #6 D.

It also may not be unreasonable to think that he might be better than Benn, Fantenberg, Woo, Biega, Teves, Rafferty, Sautner, Brisebois, Eliot, Chatfield, Utunun,  (who'd I miss)?

I would really really really love to see the reaction if he outplays QH.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

(I didn't just start having this opinion at the development camp, I have been predicting that OJ will make the team for a few months.)

If Olli shows to be a top 6 defenseman at training camp, I believe it would be a mistake to make him return to Utica.

If he's not ready, he's not ready, but if he is, why wouldn't we want him on the team?

This new phase for the team means we are going to be able to (have to) make some tough decisions and let some pretty good players go.

Just because he doesn't have to clear waivers, doesn't mean he should get sent down.

We want to ice the best team possible from the outset.

Points in October are worth almost as much as points in March.

He has barely played hockey in a year. The coach said they like how OJ feels he is relaxed and enjoying himself when he doesn't have to be the man.

Not only does he need to get in many practices and games before he is NHL ready, they probably don't want to pressure him before they have to.

He won't make the Canucks out of camp. Nor should he. Like many others here say, he needs to play big minutes in Utica for a while.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Edler   Myers

Hughes  Tanev

Benn  Stecher

Fantenberg

Management will want to see how Fantenberg does, so expect to see Olli start of in Utica.  As always, the more depth on d is better for the injury laden Canucks.  It will also be paramount if the team gets to the playoffs.  Having decent depth in Utica will be a wonderful thing this year.

Olli will likely be a permanent Canuck before December,

Great post.

That is how I would start the D lineup to see how it goes. Makes the most sense.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

What a bad take.

That has nothing to do with developing a guy properly when we actually have the depth to do so. You are the one rushing to put a rookie into the NHL to start the year when he has never played an NHL game and has played very few games in the last year.

:picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

they will cry in tears.  I've saved tons of messages of those idiots trashing Juolevi. 

You know they'll die in that hill before ever accepting OJ is a worthy pick

Back to back Norris trophies.  A Conn Smythe.  Three 60 point seasons

"We should have drafted Tkachuk

Or

"I knew OJ was the right pick"

If OJ plays out players like Benn, Fantenberg or Biega massively, then give him the TOP-6 Spot. If he's just slightly in a better shape, let's start him in Utica and call him up.

The first injury will coming up sooner than we would like.

At latest in December, I can see a injured Tanev. Promote OJ, look how he's playing and if he clicking it to the NHL-Game, trade Tanev for some Assets after his rehab.

7 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Lets see what happens amigo. 

Hope he has a dream camp, and he plays on our blue line the next 10+ years. 

:)

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Why limit ourselves to 10+ years? My hope is that Juolevi begins his NHL career something this season, plays injury free, goes on to become the league’s ironman, appears in more than 1600 NHL games over the next 20+ seasons, breaks all the existing records for Canucks Dmen, retires sometime in his early 40’s, and has his jersey number go straight to the rafters. :)

You forgot about the 10 Norris trophies, but otherwise I agree. 

• Haha 2